1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Humans: Unusually Murderous Mammals, Typically Murderous Primates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Ziggy
    99ers dropping culture, now we drop science

It's human nature, we're primates

You don't have to tell me what would happen if there was no law
    i'm not talking about now, i'm talking about prehistoric man to 5000 years from now

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...ammals-but-averagely-violent-primates/501935/

It’s likely that primates are especially violent because we are both territorial and social—two factors that respectively provide motive and opportunity for murder. So it goes for humans. As we moved from small bands to medium-sized tribes to large chiefdoms, our rates of lethal violence increased.

But once we formed large states, “institutions like the rule of law reduced rates of lethal violence below what one would expect for a mammal with our ancestry and ecology, and below what has been observed in human societies in earlier periods and with simpler forms of social organization,” says Steven Pinker from Harvard University. He argued as much in his book The Better Angels of Our Nature, but says that Gómez’s team have done so “with greater precision, rigor, and depth; I wish this study had been available when I wrote the book.”

The authors used the fact that closely related species usually show similar rates of interpersonal violence to predict a 2 percent rate of lethal violence among humans. That means that 2 out of every 100 human deaths would be a murder taking into account only our place on the evolutionary tree, and nothing about political pressures, technology or social norms.

In comparison, among mammals in general just 0.3 percent of deaths are murders. For the common ancestor of primates, the rate is 2.3 percent.

With 2 percent as a human baseline, we come across as both uncommonly peaceful for primates and uncommonly violent for mammals.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

3. Buck Turgidson

Please, dear god sweet merciful baby jesus, make the NBA play again so this clown will go back where he came from.

Amen.

Rashmon, B-Bob, Space Ghost and 7 others like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What's to debate and discuss lol

Is there a political point that you would like to make from this or something?

Xerobull, Blatz and vlaurelio like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

You can put human nature theory on any event. political or not.

For example, Seattle and CHAZ where there was no rule of law and that humans were as 'free people'
    Of course you know someone is going to get murdered, because there's no consequence

People will kill each other if you let them

It's no Yoko Ono and John Lennon song in human history

6. tinman

Supporting Member

God?
    I'm assuming he made the primates, the primates will murder and these primates such as meerkats and lions
    don't vote red or blue

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah , best video game discussion threads there

This make belief world of Conservative vs Liberal discussion in this dark corner of Clutchfans would
    never impact any murder rates in America, India, or the rest of the world

because it's human nature to kill

8. Buck Turgidson

Humans are about 100,000 years old, and you're stuck in the last 3 decades. We were all there, you're not special, go find a new less annoying shtick.

B-Bob, jiggyfly, calurker and 2 others like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Science is not a shtick

Science and understanding of human history is the only way to solve problems

For example,

we have a pandemic . If people understood science more, they wouldn't go eat bats or hang out with 10K people without a vaccine

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Then why are you posting here?

Discussions won't impact anything directly but our collective political mindsets through the representation of voting is supposed to have an impact in a true democracy. Discussions also impact culture which can then impact murder rates.

I think a more interesting topic, rather than just posting a tweet about animal/mammals tendency to kill (which is a cool graphic to see) and making some half ass point about something something CHAZ something something human nature is to kill, is to ask why exactly do some parts of the world have such vastly different murder rates than others, why is the murder rate in the US such a statistical anomaly amongst other developed nations, and why would we accept such an anomaly and what can we do to better our country?

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

The study shows:

But once we formed large states, “institutions like the rule of law reduced rates of lethal violence"

The murder rate in other countries are less because each citizen believes in the rule of law and not anarchy
    Japan's murder rate is much lower than ours

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So you believe murder rates are correlated to a scale of authority/anarchy. So the fix to our high murder rate should be more authoritarianism?

It could work, certainly, a more authoritarian stance towards gun policy seems to be the norm in most highly developed countries, like Japan, Europe, AU/NZ. I don't believe many other highly developed countries have a more authoritarian stance on law and order than US, we actually seem to be on the high end of that scale amongst our peers.

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

good thing we got laws

tinman likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Sitting on a lawnchair with a fishing pole...

Glad I'm not in Louisiana, I'll take Texas...

15. tinman

Supporting Member

It's a belief to quell our primate desire for violence.

Humans have the extra factor of religion, where all religions mostly preach that you shouldn't kill someone or you will pay the consequences in Hell

Governments and law should cause you to think about the same consequences but in the current world, not the after life, if it exists.

16. Buck Turgidson

I murdered 2 catfish, they're skinned and filleted in the fridge. Now what?

B-Bob likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

The study is about murder for the same species

humans have killed humans, just like other primates do

this is actually a law that was famously made in a movie which was proven to not work

@Os Trigonum

18. vlaurelio

LOL what happned to science?

19. Buck Turgidson

So the guys are going to be on the space station for a while.

So before they come back we've got plenty of time to all get gorilla suits and horses, yes?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I added that it was an 'extra' factor

the study said , just on evolution alone, 2 percent of the population are murderers

again,

I didn't write this article,
    I had no idea Meerkats were so violent to each other