1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HPD officers caught in illegal scheme for overtime pay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobmarley, Aug 22, 2014.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

A Houston police officer handed another man a speeding ticket and probably didn’t realize that the offender he was citing was also a cop. What this ticket-receiving officer noticed on his paper slip though has led to a department-wide investigation.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crim...n-alleged-hpd-ticket-rigging-scheme/14375177/

KHOU-TV believes it uncovered a ticket scheme in which Houston officers include the name of another witness officer who was not actually present. This later results in overtime pay when the officer has to appear in court.

“I immediately [knew] that something’s hinky with the ticket,” the man KHOU-TV only identified as Jerry said. “There was no other officer, he was the only officer there.”

The ticket, however, listed another officer as an additional witness.

KHOU launched an investigation into Jerry’s claims and uncovered an alleged “ticket-rigging scheme,” where cops listed on tickets who were not actually present at the time of the offense were cashing in on overtime when they appeared in court later.

The Houston Police Department is conducting its own internal investigation into the issue, putting three officers — Gregory Rosa, Robert Manzanales and John Garcia — on desk jobs during this time.

KHOU reported that a fourth officer identified as Rudolph Farias, who was also being investigated, committed suicide earlier this week in a police parking garage. The 51-year-old was on the force for 21 years and, according to KHOU, made $158,000 in overtime within the past three years. How much of that could be due to falsely reported tickets is unknown at this time.

Here’s more from KHOU about what it uncovered:

Watch KHOU’s report about the investigation:

<object id="flashObj" width="480" height="270" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=3741415429001&playerID=3625010258001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAADS7v-7gk~,hKJf6vsV-lqiqffWT7pGsyiIFAMTti8w&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=3741415429001&playerID=3625010258001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAADS7v-7gk~,hKJf6vsV-lqiqffWT7pGsyiIFAMTti8w&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Ray Hunt, president of the police officer’s union, told KHOU that these officers are considered “innocent until proven guilty.”

Police Chief Charles McClelland offered a similar perspective to KPRC-TV.

“I can’t assume there’s an irregularity. I can’t assume the officers falsified a government document. I can’t assume anything until I have proof or evidence,” he told the news station.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...shy-now-an-alleged-scheme-has-been-uncovered/

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, I saw this on the news. One of the officers committed suicide after being caught.

Basically just including themselves on each other's tickets even though they clearly are not there.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The biggest point from this story, watch your speed on the Katy Freeway, as it is the freeway with the most cops writing tickets. A stupid 60mph speed limit that should at the very least be 65mph, if not 70mph, with the way that thing is engineered and how traffic flows on it.

4. likestohypeguy

This isn't that big of a deal, they do it all the time on The Wire.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

No wonder these cops have been showing up at court recently. Cant get anything dismissed.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How does a cop average $50k in overtime every year and nobody think of that as shady? Unbelievable.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . .as many criminals in blue . . .as there is in the general population
    I doubt they get any time for their criminal enterprise
    this embezzling they did . .. . won't hurt them much i don't think

Rocket River
    Suicide? That is a bit extreme.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No, not true.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He should be promoted ahead of everyone since nobody else could figure it out. Sounds like he's the smartest guy. He's dead I guess but whatever.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

so true

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not even close to being true.

12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Signed... Fuzzy Dunlop

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What is the base salary?

Rocket River

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Government.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Honestly - probably too much bureaucracy for anyone to notice.

yeah, IA doesn't care for this kind of stuff - they'll probably be found guilty, lose their jobs, pensions and hopefully do some real time - especially with such high $ amounts of fraud.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

probably about that amount - my cop friends up here start around $35K-$45K

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

thats large amounts of $$ - I'd be very very surprised if they didn't do some time.

18. Classic

Classic Member

Was just talking to a guy in the academy. 35k salary as a cadet. 10k raise when he graduates the academy (i think that's what he said). So he starts at 45k fresh out of school. [I know he said 45k as an officer.]

It's the moonlighting for cash that helps pays the bills though (working IHOPs, movie theatres, night clubs etc). Can make $500-$1k cash a weekend.

19. Orange

Orange Member

Probably more criminals in blue.

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Agreed. They're worse than actual criminals because they're allowed to **** you over and the law is on their side.