1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Howard Beck] NBA Epidemic of Tanking Is Neither Tanking, nor an Epidemic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by chongx04, Mar 11, 2014.

1. chongx04

chongx04 Member

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I will begrudgingly admit this BR article is good. And not just because he agrees with me -- he agrees with me, and took the time to back it up with facts.

Though, I have to say he's pretty lenient on Boston, Utah and Orlando. They might not be tanking the way the 76ers are, but they are clearly looking for the bounce from hitting rock bottom. Sure, it's smart, but being smart doesn't mean they aren't essentially tanking. What the Sixers are doing is also smart.

But, I don't have a problem with tanking. If a team can catch the bounce and start developing again, it can be fun for fans. It's when the tank-job falls flat and the team continues to be bad for years that it's no fun. But, that's sucking, not tanking.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is very little incentive to win for a rebuilding team. As JV mentioned, I see little difference between Philly, Utah, Boston, Orlando, and the Astros. Philly just started out with a bigger mess of bad non-maximum contracts.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong for a bad team to clean the slate and start over. But the system doesn't have to help those teams. A team needs to start over usually falls into two categories: (1) past mismanagement, and (2) retirement of franchise player.

To (1) I'd say that mismanagement needs to be punished, not rewarded.
    To (2) I'd say, "You had your fun. Now it's someone else's turn."

The only "good" cause for hitting Restart is if the team lost its franchise player due to catastrophic injury. The system should do something to help those teams to be competitive again. But even injuries has something to do with management. It's called risk management.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This article seems somewhat premature. The real tanking starts in the final month or so of the regular season.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think we need more vocabulary here. Coaches changing their rotations to lose more is a qualitatively different sort of tanking than a managerial tanking in which good vets are traded away. Coaches have a responsibility to win games in a way that general managers do not. So coaches throwing games needs to have a different word than GMs throwing games.

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Measuring in terms of wins and losses is not the right way to test for tanking. After all, the total number of wins and losses is the same every year.

The real question is, does the incentive to lose lead to an inferior experience for fans? The answer to that is almost certainly yes. I have no stats, but just watching games it's obvious there are many late in the season where players aren't really trying.

The wheel idea isn't bad, and even with that there are other assets that the league can selectively award to encourage parity that aren't as unbalanced as the draft. For example, perhaps the salary cap could be increased for teams that have the worst records. Or perhaps teams with bad records would be allowed to ignore salary matching rules in trades.