1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Howard Beck/Bleacher Report] James Harden's Next Act

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Always read Howard Beck.

#1 Deuce, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good read.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

thanks for posting this Deuce...loved this article

Harden so desperately wants to win a title for this city...I love this dude...fck all his haters

let’s get this ring and a statue outside TC

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Some really great stuff in this article. Beck is always good.

"In my position, there's a lot of negative energy, or negative criticism ... that I would maybe try to feed into or try to protect myself, or try to explain myself," Harden says. "It's like, 'If y'all don't get it, y'all don't get it. That's on y'all.' I'm good where I'm at."

Yet it's the playoff defeats that seem to sting the most, perhaps because they provide such easy ammunition for critics. The context that's often lost? Harden's path has been consistently blocked by historically talented superteams—LeBron's Miami Heat in the 2012 Finals, and the Curry-led Warriors, who eliminated the Rockets in four of the last five postseasons.

Sure, Harden has turned in a few untimely clunkers in his 116-game playoff career. It happens, even to MVPs. What irks him, he says, is the assertion by some critics that "James didn't show up."

Harden is also proud to have spent these last seven seasons in Houston, repeatedly extending his contract while some of his chief rivals changed teams (some multiple times) to join up with other stars and form superteams.

"There's other ways that I could have did it, and probably would have had a championship by now," Harden says. "But I'm fine with just being in Houston and figuring a way. ... I'm going to find a way to win a championship, at least one. I'll figure it out in Houston. But it's not going to eat me alive. Like, I'm comfortable in my career."

That comfort starts with a front office that has been hyperaggressive in chasing (and occasionally landing) All-Stars to aid Harden's quest. Morey has also given Harden a consistent voice in personnel matters.

"I trust the front office to go out there and get the best players that can help this organization win," says Harden, who says he'll retire in a Rockets jersey, whenever that day comes.

Adding Westbrook boosted the Rockets' odds of winning the title by about 30 percent, Morey says, citing internal calculations. It also helps that the Warriors aren't the Warriors anymore.

"Now is our best chance," Morey says with a chuckle.

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

+30% championship odds

[​IMG]

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This quote right here is something I can’t stand that gets overlooked with Harden. And it’s not just with Harden.

Watching the Jump today and whatever goofus writer they had on asked Pippen “MDA has always shown that his system is great for the regular season, but in the playoffs it ALWAYS falls apart, why will it be different this year....”

Same thing has almost always applied when he’s had great teams. Who did Mike lose to? Two of the best franchises of the last 20+ years in Pops Spurs and The Warriors of the last 5 years. Yet some people ignore that reality and just look at the result and form their opinion solely off that. Ridiculously short sighted if you ask me.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty amazing that this excellent article from Beck only has 6 comments. So, bump.

Nook and vlaurelio like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Harden's path has been consistently blocked by historically talented superteams—LeBron's Miami Heat in the 2012 Finals, and the Curry-led Warriors, who eliminated the Rockets in four of the last five postseasons.

"There's other ways that I could have did it, and probably would have had a championship by now," Harden says. "But I'm fine with just being in Houston and figuring a way. ... I'm going to find a way to win a championship, at least one. I'll figure it out in Houston. But it's not going to eat me alive. Like, I'm comfortable in my career."

"I trust the front office to go out there and get the best players that can help this organization win," says Harden, who says he'll retire in a Rockets jersey, whenever that day comes.

how can a true rockets fan hate this guy???

9. Vivid

Vivid Member

Steve Franchise!

CK Johnson likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have a feeling that aggregators are going to use the above quote as a DISS at CP3. I do not believe that is a diss at CP3 but more of a hat tip to Westbrook. But we know how people like to twist things.

vlaurelio and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Harden is straight forward and blunt.

Having said that, I don't like how he worded his response....... but can I really blame a 30 year old player for his comments when we have a 60 year old billionaire owner that steps in verbal dog **** every time he opens his mouth.

joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden clearly was thinking specifically about Westbrook, but ideally he would have looked at the MARCO and see how it would be viewed.

Nook and vlaurelio like this.
  13. vlaurelio

how would you have worded it?

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

#14 Deuce, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Rudyc281 and Mathloom like this.
  15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

yeah from 5% to 6.5% that's 30 your 30% increase lol

harold bingo likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While I agree with you for the most part, I think there's also a little truth to the argument. There will ALWAYS be great teams you have to go through in order to get the title. The Pistons had to go through a historically great Lakers dynasty. The Mavericks did it against the Heatles. Hell, even the Raptors went through the Warriors superteam, just like LeBron before them. Harden and MDA have to prove that they too can rise above, and slay the beast even when the chips may be stacked against them.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

There's a lot of good there, but cannot help but Harden failing to even own up a little to his shortcomings. He just lacks a sense of urgency and that "dog" mentality to go get it instead of relying on referees or even a teammate to hit a shot.

Objectively speaking, there's moments where's really fell short and game 5's @ Warriors not shooting was not one of them as he made the right plays. I am talking walking it up in game 6 when down, throwing the ball away, end of game 1 going for the foul against Draymond instead of just trying to make the shot. It's these little moments that he just needs to change his approach, though there's no guarantees. As pointed out, Harden has ran into some juggernauts.

It's awesome though that he's willing to stay here and try to figure it out. This quote sticks out the most to me.That not winning a trophy won't eat him alive and he's okay with where he's at. This is great for two reasons:
    1. he's honest that he's not obsessed with the trophy like Kobe, MJ and others probably were. No reason to act like you are when you're not.
    2. he won't be insecure like KD and look for that validation (elsewhere). He's cool with being who he is and doesn't need a ring to tell him he's good. That's maturity!

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I was wondering what their internals said. My guess is that they went from somewhere around 20% to somewhere around 25% for the 30% improvement.

Keep this in mind- the Rockets internal numbers for a title are most likely to be higher than anyone else's by design. Daryl picks the metrics to make the model, and then he accumulates talent based upon the metrics he picks- so the Rockets should be higher in his algo (since that's what he values) then they might be in another one. that's m final answer.

19. vlaurelio

Those were well built and coached teams. Had multiple all stars on the roster

Even lebron kd steph or kawhi could have single handedly carried the rox vs gs

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

thanks @Deuce !
    nice read, championship or bust, now is the time!

Deuce likes this.