1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard and Wesley appreciation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waihh, Jan 20, 2006.

1. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

I never understand why a lot of guys here hate JHo and DWesley. I had been really moved by their play of recent when both Yao and Tmac were out. JHo really stepped up his game and was a true leader on the court. David consistently made his shots and defended as hard as anybody in the league. They should not be blamed for those losses. At the downside of their NBA career, carrying the team is too much to ask from them.
    Having seen how good JHo and DWesley can play, I start to wondering what kind of job JVG has done to this team? Someone tell me that DA and Swift were not JVG's selection? Someone name a single role player who's improving under JVG? Regardless Yao's playing or not, this team depends on Tmac's extraordinary play to win games, just like his old Magic days. No win without Tmac, that's unacceptable! WTF JVG is doing as a coach to improve the team? It was so painful to see the offense and even defense when Tmac was on the bench at the end of first quarter. I have to say its poor coaching. Anyone agree?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they played well. its only 1 win man. please lets not bust out the krystal and cigars just yet.

3. Turcan5

Turcan5 Member

Wesley is a 6'1" 35 year old shooting guard and Howard is a 33 year old power forward with weak defensive and rebounding skills. I like both guys in terms of their attitude and effort, but they should not be starting on a team if it has the goal of winning championships. They can contribute off the bench, playing 15 to 20 minutes again. Ryan Bowen on the other hand....

4. tinman

Supporting Member

wesley and howard are not:

tim duncan and manu ginobli
    rasheed wallace and rip hamilton
    vernon maxwell and otis thorpe

5. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Agree Tinman. Appreciate everything these guys do, but if they were our 6th and 7th men then we would have a helluva team!

6. tinman

Supporting Member

we need stromile and anderson to step up.
    they deserve some of my fire and brimstone also.

7. anitasri

anitasri Member

Agree Completely! But let us not forget how we happened to get them on our team in the first place. I would try and sign DWES for a couple of more years if he can take a Jon Barry type of salary! Dwes is definitely not appreciated for the stuff he does for us! Agreed he should be more accurate for a Shooting Guard!

8. anitasri

anitasri Member

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Stro and DA are flat out busts so far. I don't expect much out of either this season and Stro better be gone over the summer if he doesn't shape up.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The only person who deserves the appreciation is Howard. With the loss of T-Mac and Yao, he has stepped it up and did what he could to get us some wins.

Too bad that's all going to end when our 2 superstars come back.

11. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

its Cristal and Monte Cristos.

12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What did Mo Taylor go on the disabled list for last year? A head cold?, bad congestion?, I rmember only that it was something weak. Stro being out for several games with pink eye is starting to reek of that.

13. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guys are asked to do more than they should be asked to do. I agree we have poor coaching. JVg is an opportunity cost. We already missed out on two champion coaches, because we have this mediocre clown in the way.

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Rumor has it Motay was out because of an "argument" with JVG. Last season, it was posted somewhere that one time when their team bus hit a large bump, Stro's Memphis teammates joked and asked if Stro was OK, because of how injury prone he was. If this story is actually true, that's all you need to know. That said, I believe his current eye infection is legit. But he's completely unreliable and is not a starting caliber player. Probably never will be.

15. surrender

surrender Member

IMO, the point is that these guys have been doing all that they can with their now-limited physical talents, and thus deserve praise over guys like Swift with all of the raw talent and athleticism in the world yet who can't produce well. For all the hate Juwan gets on the forums, he's a very important part of the team - his absence during the playoffs probably cost us the series against Dallas, since Bowen had to play extended minutes.

The duo has been putting up great numbers lately, and while they alone can't carry a team due to the aforementioned physical limitations, they will make this team a force to be reckoned with when Yao gets back if they can keep producing at the same pace.

16. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

I give my full respect to JHo and DWesley because they play all out. Apparently, not everyone in this team plays all out like JHo and DWesley did.

For the same reason, I respect Bowen as well. He hussles and defends, and is never shy in taking a wide open shot. And he's earning the least in the team. Tell me what do you expect from him? If he plays for other teams, how many minutes you think he's going to get?

Injury is not the excuse of all the losses. The worst team will not loss it all. The rockets could not win a single game when Tmac is out. It just tells you how Tmac's offensive genius has covered JVG's lack of offensive coaching ability.

17. Turcan5

Turcan5 Member

I would expect Bowen not to be in the rotation if this team was a serious contender. If he's in the rotation, I'd want him to make a few of those open shots once in a while. Earlier this season JVG gave him too many minutes and this was like the Rockets playing 4 on 5 on offense. Even with the injuries, it was probably better if they went to a small line-up than have him in there.

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Hey dude, this thread is dedicated to apperciating Wesley and Howard. No one wants to read your repetitive I-hate-JVG rants. Everyone knows pasox
    hates JVG. We get it. He's not going anywhere this year or next so just put it in your sig or something. Be original though. The Championship coaches crap is taken. Be unique and instead of saying coach JVG say something like Mr. Van Gundy. That'd really be cute.

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree with everything you said. This team was not built around Howard and
    Wesley.They are only role players, who have for the most part not been able
    to play their roles because of injuries to Yao/McGrady. If and when we get our
    two stars playing together we will start to see their true value to the team.
    until then they will continue to get the brunt of the criticism from fans who
    think that those two players are underachieving.

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Yea, Wes and Howard are BETTER. Wesley isn't a quitter like Maxwell.

The '94 Rox only had Dream as our star. Currently we have two studs assuming ...they are healthy.

This team will go as far as TMac and Yao takes us.

If TMac and Yao don't pan out, it is irrelevant what Howard and Wesley do... Or if one/both catch fire, nobody in the league can stop us. Howard and Wes are good enough role players. If we had Howard against Dallas...