1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

How would you build a team to beat Miami, OKC or SAS?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 30, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Those are the 3 teams left in this year's playoff picture, and the participants in the NBA Finals of the last 2 seasons. So, if another team aims for a title, it's reasonable to set your sights on one of them.

Indiana's Larry Bird tried hard to build his team to beat Miami, and it doesn't look like they are that close. They have the size vs. the smaller Miami team, the athletic defenders, even the home court advantage but it didn't work.

How would you go about building a team if your goal is to maximize your chances of beating each of Miami, OKC or San Antonio?

#1 Carl Herrera, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. jbasket

jbasket Member

A dominant center and shooting guard. Unfortunately, Rockets are missing one of those two pieces.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

For OKC, you need a center too big for Ibaka, and a power forward that can force him away from the hoop.

For SAS, you need athleticism, speed, and a rim protector that can't have the above done to him.

For Miami, you need bigs

For all teams, you need someone capable of creating their own shot, and you probably need two or three excellent outside shooters.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dwight
    Love
    Parson
    Harden
    Pat

5. mingthething

mingthething Member

I'd secretly camp outside Michael Jordan's house and go through his trash. Then extract DNA from his trash, then clone him.

6. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Off the top of my head

OKC's has struggled with Memphis

Spurs has had trouble with OKC, Miami or Dallas

Miami has lost to Dallas or struggled with SA (and last year's Pacers)

I'd say a tough defensive or elite coach, defensive or two way center, 2-3 all star level playoff scorers, size, depth perhaps and a strong point guard.

So, my guess is the Rockets need a third offensive star, Tom Thibideaux, additional 3&D players at the PG and wing positions for depth and maybe 3+ years of experience playing together.

If that fails, besides OKC those other teams will be older when the Rox hit their peak.

7. split41

split41 Member

I think for all 3 a dominant center is a must. Other than that, each team has different specific weaknesses.

I would also sort of put a lot of blame on Hibbert, who really should of dominated the rebounds.

I would really love to see a series of Miami vs GS (With Bogut in the lineup). GS was a top 5 defensive team with Bogut and he pulled down 21 rebounds last playoffs. I think GS could beat them.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Step 1
    [​IMG]

Step 2
    [​IMG]

Step 3
    ???

Step 4
    Profit!!!

3 people like this.
  9. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

no way we get Love w/o giving up parsons in the trade unless we wait until next offseason and sign him as an outright free agent after Asik/Lin's contracts are off the books.

10. thisiscaketown

You would need a dominant Center and Small Forward that can create their own shots, defend multiple positions, and facilitate the offense if need be.

The Center needs to be able to:

1. Bamboozle opposing defenders with excellent post moves
    2. Shoot well from midrange and 3-point range
    3. Defend the rim and paint well
    4. Defend smaller, speedy opponents, even if they are outside the paint

The Small Forward needs to be able to:

1. Penetrate to the basket at will and finish well even with contact
    2. Shoot well from midrange and 3-point range
    3. Have some post moves on offense and take advantage of height and speed mismatches when the opportunity presents itself
    4. Defend the Point Guard, Shooting Guard, Small Forward positions well. Being able to defend the Power Forward position is also helpful.

The Center and Small Forward also have to be vocal leaders that can lead the team both on the offensive and defensive end by example.

The remaining supporting cast needs to be able to shoot 3-pointers well and defend their own positions well, and they all need to be decent to good at penetrating to the basket. This will allow the Center and Small Forward to focus more energy on their own assignments without having to make up for the deficiencies of their teammates.

11. VBG

VBG Member

I think you need a different team to combat all 3.

I think it goes San Antonio > Miami > OKC > San Antonio to an extent

12. Mr. Clutch

Miami is a slow team.

I think the speed of OKC and SA will give them trouble. Add in Duncan, and I think SA is a scarier matchup for them.

And Kawhi will be a better defender to throw at LeBron than whoever OKC has.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That team won't get past the Clippers let alone Spurs, OKC or Heat. Lebron would dominate Parsons. This team is not athletic enough only way to get away with that is if Greg Popovich is the coach. Love and Parsons with Harden just makes our defense have no chance at least Melo is really athletic and has a physical bully type game. We can find a tough power forward.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Your right and I hope that will be the case. The nba is so fixed to me when it comes to Miami though. The refs will always find a way to keep Miami in the game no matter who they play even if a team Ala spurs are completely dominating them. I saw this last year in the finals.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

the good thing there is no formula or the formula takes at least 3-4 years for rebuilding teams.

We thought we had the ingredients - 2 superstars and good role players

turns out others are better, they have 3 stars and better role players, better system and better coaching

16. Mr. Clutch

Yep.

Trade everyone, fire everyone, and blow it up.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think if sabotaging Miami, Indy and OKC and or SAS is the goal:

You get the best players from two of those teams and rebuild to ultimately take them on in the Conference Finals and Finals.

That's why the Lakers had no problem attracting the best players

We have Kmac, Hakeem, and other greats to go to players personally.

A team like the Lakers don't even have a welcome committee.
    Those players used to flock there.

Or you need a mastermind like Pat Riley that can string together a plan to form a new super friends team of US basketball teammates

Durant
    Love
    Harden/Chris Paul/Irving/........

Those kind of superstars

18. JazzLakerHater

We can start off by getting a better coach.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The best stars position

PG
    SF (SG)
    PF

20. BinBinRingRing

Your players need to play at linsane level.