1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would Rockets have performed against Cavaliers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by celebrevida, Jun 14, 2017.

?

How well would Rockets have performed against Cavaliers?

1. Cavaliers win 4-0 or 4-1

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Cavaliers win 4-2

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  3. Cavaliers win 4-3

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Rockets win 4-3

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Rockets win 4-2

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Rockets win 4-0 or 4-1

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Assume both teams are fully healthy at the start of the series. (So Nene doesn't get hurt vs Spurs).

I truly believe that Rockets would have given the Cavs a competitive series. I think they even have a 20% of winning. And even if losing, I think Rockets push them to a 6 to 7 game series about 70% of time. (This obviously means I think Cavs blow out the Rockets at 4-0 or 4-1 at only 10% chance).

Cavs looked good because they were playing a lot of scrub teams. Celtics as number 1 seed was a joke. I think almost all teams in the West were better than them except maybe Trailblazers.

Do people agree with me that the gap between Cavs and Rockets isn't as large as some people think?

#1 celebrevida, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

ariza is getting too old and lebron still has 2 years of elite performance. sure lebron is sloghtly older but he is a freak

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

we could take them to 6 because their defense sucks...it's much easier to score against them than OKC or SA, plus we'd have had HCA

we wouldn't be able to stop them either, and they have Lebron which is why we'd lose

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Depends if you get the Cavs that played against the Pacers, or the Cavs that were in the Finals, as I think they got better each series. Rockets would have a chance to beat first round Cavs, but lose to Finals Cavs in 5 or 6.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Assuming the 'effort' was there... we coulda pushed em to 6 or maybe even 7 games...

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

At their best, they could definitely win a hard fought 7-game series. At their worst, they'd obviously get swept.

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan and DunKingDanny like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well, we lost to San Antonio 4-2. So I'd say 4-2, and a very similar series. People are being homers here. I remember thinking like that as the playoffs began, and even after the Thunder series, but the San Antonio series opened my mind to the mental problems of this team. You can never rule those out.

kjayp likes this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why would we not have beaten Cleveland?

Rockets 55 wins, Cavs 51 wins (but in the East -

Good evidence there that the teams are reasonably evenly matched, but falling in favour of the Rockets? Cannot see how losing to San Antonio (61 win team) means we would lose to a very much inferior Cavs team.

Change the Cavs East vs West weighting and recalculate, and they get 48 wins if they were a Western Conference team last year, so we would have played them in the first round instead of Westbrook, and sent them home straight up.

Astrodome likes this.
  9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

hmm lets see.. regular season =/= playoffs , but cf still lives in fantasy land using that metric

in the real world, rockets would be lucky to get a win.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, the playoffs are a much different animal than the regular season so using that as a litmus test especially when the Cavs took the regular season easy is just misguided

The Rockets might've been able to take them to 6 games, but there is no way in hell that Lebron would've lost to this team.

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Easily sweep the cavs.

Homer goggles in full effect :cool:

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets sweep in 4

Each game is Rockets blowout win

Combined series score after 4 games

Rockets 640 - 160 Cavs

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

and dat Jeff Biglydik defense! Hot dammmmn! :D
    [​IMG]

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Mmhmm.

Probably the regular season IS the best indicator of the post season? The teams that finished 1 and 2 in each conference progressed to their respective conference finals (shock, horror). The higher seeded team advanced in every first round series - except for the Clippers of course. But you can make a fairly dramatic case for the Clippers being big time finals chokers. Although your nerd-rage is implying that the Rockets are similarly a choking team, a simple look at fact indicates that we nearly always beat the team we are supposed to beat, and then lose to the team we are supposed to lose to (there are minor variations - but those tend to be a 1 for 1 swap - we win one we shouldn't, we lose one we shouldn't).

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Eh, I don't even think the Cavs were the second-best team this year. I'd put a fully healthy San Antonio team ahead of them. I think the Rockets are a bit behind the Cavs, but close enough that the Rockets winning a 7-game series wouldn't be that shocking to me.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

The way the rockets played towards the end of game 5 and entire game 6, they would of gotten swept against clev.

the regular season yeah the rockets have a chance to beat them on any night but come playoff time, the focus championship teams like Cleveland have is just too much and generally on point, of course thanks largely to guys like james and kyrie but everyone follows them as a result. Rockets aren't on the same level as far as the dedication, focus, execution needed to perform at the level of a Cleveland, GSW, and as we saw Spurs team (depleted team at that)

#16 YOLO, Jun 15, 2017
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They would have lost because teams with Eric Gordon as their 2nd best player do not win championships in today's NBA, despite many on here overlooking that issue.

#17 J Sizzle, Jun 15, 2017
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Because the playoffs are a different animal?
    I mean... CLEARLY.
    If you think the Cavs in the regular season were the same as the Cavs in the playoffs, you didn't watch much nba outside the Rockets this year.

I mean the Rockets played 2 very very competitive games against the Celtics this year, and the Cavs made very quick work of the Celtics in the playoffs.

The only positive against the Cavs relative to the Spurs is the Cavs don't play defense as well. But they're a much better offensive team.

And btw the Rockets ALSO weren't the same team in the playoffs as the regular season. They were worse.

Seems a no brainer easy Cavs win to me.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

cavs have another gear both offensively and defensively. rockets would have melted just like in the sperms series

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you think Harden would have not quit because we would have never made it to the Finals, right?

If the Rox can become GSW then they defeat the Cavs 4-1. It is easy. That is reality.