1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How worried are you that Chris Paul is a choker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 15, 2018.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

rumors of CP3's demise have been greatly exaggerated

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If he has another game like this on Wednesday night, then I'll be concerned. But everyone not named Harden or Capela(and to a lesser extent Nene) was awful last night.

I honestly chalk it up to rust and not playing any meaningful games for weeks. When you sit CP3 for most of April, what do you think is gonna happen when he returns to the lineup and suddenly we're in the playoffs where the intensity is much higher? EG was another guy who's been out for a lot of games recently to rest his ankle and he looked out of it.

Hopefully going forward with everyone now playing in every game, this won't happen anymore. Guys will have the occasional off night. But they won't look so out of sync like they did in Game 1.

3. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

calm down guys, we have 15 more games to go, just keep focused on the big picture, it is always better to peak in later rounds, preferring to see Peak CP3 at west finals and finals, rather than first round

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He definitely was pressing/nervous last night. Hopefully he got it out of his system. We brought him here to do exactly the opposite of what he did last night. We will need him to play much better if we expect to go anywhere.

DonKnock and saleem like this.
  5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Not sure if you're just being a bum or trying to act like a bum but either way stop being a bum.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nerves were certainly part of it. Lack of rhythm too. The most concerning point was the near absence of lift which greatly hampered his shooting. Chris couldn't catch up with Teague's quickness, nor with Rose.

I expect a better performance in Game 2 from him, but I think he will find it difficult to get going, unless EG has a good game. EG is really struggling out right now after the knee injury.

Capela is an X-factor, but we are at our best when Harden, Chris, EG are scoring and dishing/ defending. Luc's absence too sapped energy from the front court, which led to extra pressure on the guards. Fortunately for us, Harden was at his absolute best.

I'm not implying that Chris can't deliver. He just needs more help, until he regains leg strength, quickness and stamina.

Go Chris Go! Prove me wrong!
    Go Houston Rockets!

7. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

Its going to be a game where Harden is having a off game and Cp3 is having a outstanding game. No worries. The rest of the cast needs to show up.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good points. I hope you are right. Props to Nene for his contribution. We wouldn't have crossed the line without him.

9. Giannis

Giannis Member

lol, cp3 hit a gamewinner less than 2 weeks ago and dropped 20 in a half. put down whatever youre smoking.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

One other point I forgot to make. Minnesota unlike the Rockets HAS been playing meaningful games for weeks now. They had to go OT on the final day of the regular season just to qualify for the playoffs. So they had elevated their game to a level the Rockets hadn't needed to since maybe that win at Portland to end the Blazers' 13-game winning streak.

11. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

I'm not saying that Rockets dont need CP3 to be CP3 to win a chip but there's no question (in my mind) Harden plays 100× better when he's playing the game.

saleem likes this.
  12. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

CP3 had a bad game and we still won. He's never been in a situation where he could say that, especially in the playoffs. He'll relax and have a better game 2

DonKnock likes this.
  13. jboslett

jboslett Member

Just watched the highlights... Check out CP3 losing Teague on the last play. If Butler sees Teague, he has a wide open 3 point attempt for the tie. Fortunately, PJ played tight D on Butler, rattling him a bit.

Drogba likes this.
  14. Giannis

Giannis Member

Paul provides all nba defense at the most important position to defend. he disrupts the other teams offense, grabs boards, gets steals, and is there when you need him. He looked like he was rushing last night, and that happens. first game of the playoffs, you get off to a bad start and you can get in your own head. do not let that fool you.

15. Giannis

Giannis Member

actually, capela had to switch on that. you give up twos but not threes in that situation. paul picks up kat and calls capela to switch to the man in his zone in that situation.

cp3 could have done a better job and just stuck his man, but the switch is more optimal in that end game situation down 3.

16. rocketsmetalspd

The only thing I could think off was CP3 is feeling the pressure making to the not only the WCF but to the finals. I hope he just relaxes and just hoop. Go Rockets!

DonKnock likes this.
  17. jboslett

jboslett Member

Just watched again, and it's unclear what the defensive call is. Capela is glued to Towns and has no clue Teague has moved. Since Towns doesn't set a pick (he just stands there), I maintain that CP3 lost Teague and that we were lucky Butler didn't see him.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"I Tried Man..."

Oh wait, wrong player . My bad, Chris Paul never said that , and never will with the Rockets , especially in April

19. ballscientist1

This year playoffs I am starting to think Harden is the best player in the nba.

Warriors have 3 young stars (green, Klay and Kevin) to defend Chris Paul, he and Gordon will be shut down.

I am not high on CC, JJ and GG either.

Tucker and Ariza have little passing skills and penetration skills comparing to 5 Warriors benches:

Iggy, Livingston, Cook, Bell and West

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

CP3 elevates his level of play in the playoffs

Idk wtf last night was, I was sitting there like “is that CP3 or Jeremy Lin?”

CP3 will bounce back in game 2