1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Will the [2012 Draft] Be Remembered?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Jan 9, 2013.

1. yobod

yobod Member

Now that we're halfway into the season, what are your thoughts on this past years draft class? The only person that has remotely stood out is Damian Lillard, he's definitely going to be a star in the next few seasons. I feel like Anthony Davis will end up with a career similar to Marcus Camby, productive but nothing special. More could blossom as the season goes on, like Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal have shown promise.

1. Anthony Davis
    2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    3. Bradley Beal
    4. Dion Waiters
    5. Thomas Robinson
    6. Damian Lillard
    7. Harrison Barnes
    8. Terrence Ross
    9. Andre Drummond
    10. Austin Rivers
    11. Meyers Leonard
    12. Jeremy Lamb
    13. Kendall Marshall
    14. John Henson
    15. Moe Harkless
    16. Royce White
    17. Tyler Zeller
    18. Terrence Jones
    19. Andrew Nicholson
    20. Evan Fournier
    21. Jared Sullinger
    22. Fab Melo
    23. John Jenkins
    24. Jared Cunningham
    25. Tony Wroten
    26. Miles Plumlee
    27. Arnett Moultrie
    28. Perry Jones
    29. Marquis Teague
    30. Festus Ezeli

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think you're selling Davis short. He's played really well when he's been healthy, but that just hasn't been often this season. Dude will be a stud.

Franchise Studs: Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard

Surprise Players: Andre Drummond (for being so productive so early), Michael Kidd Gilchrist (thought he'd have a hard time adjusting to the NBA and being a go to player early in his career), John Henson (already a pretty consistant double-double threat), Dion Waiters (thought he was a huge reach at 4 but is really playing well)

Disappointments: Austin Rivers (no explanation needed), Meyers Leonard, Kendall Marshall (didn't have high hopes, but hasn't been worth a lottery pick at all), Thomas Robinson (struggling hard, but dysfunctional organization), Royce White (no explanation needed), Bradley Beal (only mildly, but was expecting much more),

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Havent seen a warriors game in a while but Barnes was a good pick wasnt he?

4. Asian Sensation

Lillard has shown thus far to be a stud and franchise player. I think Davis is a franchise player as well regardless of the injury/slow start.

I still think Jeremy Lamb is going to be a really good player in this league when he gets his opportunity.

I also like Terrance Ross a lot, he needs to improve 3 things and they're 3 of the hardest things to do but I think he will. 1) Handles/create own shot on regular basis. 2) Basketball IQ. 3)Consistency. This comes with time and it's difficult for almost all rookies. I just see something special with Ross though.

It's still way too early though. Especially for the glut of guard/wing players. I'm not going to count out any of the guys especially guys like Beal, MKG, Marshall, Waiters and even Rivers (who's looked horrendous). They're all so young and usually it takes time for them to develop.

I think a prime example is James Harden who is 20 and put up like 10/3/2 his rookie season. Not bad but not great. In now his 4th year nobody knew he was going to be this good though. Not even us Rockets fans. He showed flashes his 2nd year and signs of greatness last year but he put it all together this year. Other examples are Paul George who's in his 3rd year and he seems on the path to becoming a supertar. Evan Turner had 3 years of college and he was thought of as someone as being NBA ready from day 1 and even he got off to a slow start but now in his 3rd year he's developing into a really nice player.

Point is it's too early to write off any of these guys even after the season ends and even next year. We don't know how this draft will be remembered because were barely 30 or so games in.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

As the mental health awareness draft. #BeWell

1 person likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

More like Marcus Camby with some offense. If he were a selfish player, you'd be more impressed.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

this, royce white got all the attention in the end without stepping onto the court

8. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way, way too early. Plenty of NBA superstars had slow rookie seasons.

Also, Anthony Davis will be a top 5 player at some point in the next 5-7 years. Book it.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It takes big men longer to develop. Also Davis is having a pretty good season, especially coming off that injury. 13.7 pts (49% FG, 77% FT), 8.3 rebs, 1.9 blks is solid for a rookie.

10. thisiscaketown

A lot of players from this draft are developing in the D-League or are in a bad situation as far as playing time goes, so I feel like it's too early to say for anyone out of the top 10.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

How dare you! Everyone knows this was the strongest NBA draft in the last couple of centuries and that Morey should have given up our entire roster for a shot at picking somewhere between 7 and 10!!

Seriously, you can't judge a draft these days after less than a year. Since so many players are one-and-done at the college level, you have to look back after 3-5 years to properly judge a draft class.