1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to sign Lebron in 2018 – salary cap discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Dec 11, 2017.

1. ilias

ilias Member

Lots of discussion on the board and media around Lebron coming to Houston in the summer. Just thought I would try and see how this can be done from a cap perspective.

Because of the Rockets cap situation, signing Lebron in the summer will require careful cap management and salary sacrifice by Paul and Lebron.

The first step the Rockets need to take is open up cap space. This can be done by:
    1. Trading Anderson, Onuaku, cash and picks without getting salary back (eg to Sacramento or other teams under the cap)
    2. Renounce any expirings that have cap hold (Black, Brown)
    3. Renounce Paul’s bird rights to remove his $39m cap hold and then sign him at a maximum of $18.6m per year for 5 years

Then Houston needs to fill up the rest of its roster:
    4. Sign 3 UFAs at vet min (eg Wade, Green, Frye). Vet min players get a salary of $2.3m, but only $1.47m counts towards the cap
    5. Sign 1 2nd-round rookie at minimum ($815k)

At this point the Rockets reach $101m in salary and have no cap room left. Next moves:
    6. Re-sign Capela and Ariza to long-term deals. The value of those deals will determine whether Houston goes into luxury tax territory. I have assumed annual salary of $17m for Capela and $12.75m for Ariza
    7. Trade Gordon and Tucker to the Cavs for Lebron. Lebron signs a sign-and-trade contract before getting traded for $26.9m per year. $26.9m is the maximum salary the Rockets can receive from the Cavs in this trade, as it is 125% of Gordon + Tucker salary plus $100k.
    8. Sign Mbah a Moute at the taxpayer MLE ($5.3m a year based on current salary cap projections)

The cap situation before and after trade would look as follows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The team would look as follows:
    Starters: Paul, Harden, Ariza, Lebron, Capela
    Rotation: Wade, Moute, Green, Frye, Nene
    3rd string: Troy, Qi, rookie

Scenario 2: We could offer Lebron more if we add one of Ariza or Capela in a trade with the Cavs. Eg if we offer them Gordon and Ariza, then Lebron could sign for up to $33m. In this case Moute would start in Ariza’s place next to Paul, Harden, Lebron and Capela. Bench would be Wade, Green, Tucker, Frye, Nene. Of course, that would require Ariza to accept a sign and trade, and it is uncertain he would agree to do that.

Scenario 3: If Paul wants more money we would also need to sacrifice Tucker. Ie we would send Tucker and Anderson out in trades without getting salary back, then we would trade Gordon and Ariza for Lebron. In this scenario we could offer Paul up to $25m and Lebron $33m. Due to sending an extra player out, we would need to sign an additional FA (eg Johnson) to have the minimum of 13 players in the roster. Starting line-up would be the same as previous scenario with Wade, Johnson, Green, Frye and Nene completing the rotation. The salary cap situation would be as follows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scenario 4: If Ariza does not agree to a sign and trade with the Cavs, we could renounce him, which would allow us to offer Paul up to $31.5m. We would then trade Gordon and Tucker to the Cavs for Lebron. In this case Lebron would be able to re-sign for up-to $26.9m.

Scenario 5 (under the cap): If we trade Anderson, Gordon and Tucker, and then renounce Ariza, we would have around $53m in salary cap to offer to Lebron and Paul (after filling up 13-spot roster at vet min and rookie salary), eg $30m for Lebron and $23m for Paul. We would still then be able to go over the cap to resign Capela, plus sign Moute at MLE.

Scenario 6 (opt-in): Credit to Reeko for suggesting this. Under this scenario we would never go under the cap. We would start by trading Gordon and Anderson (plus picks) for LeBron (after LeBron has opted-in into the final year of his current contract). We would then re-sign our 3 key FAs (Paul at say $25m, Ariza at $12.75m, Capela at $17m), perhaps even Brown for fun. In this scenario we would always be over the cap, so we would not be able to bid for other teams' free agents. We would be able, however, to sign Moute with the taxpayer MLE as in the other scenarios. We would also end up at least $20m over the luxury tax, but that's our owners problem. The cap situation would look like:

[​IMG]

Other veterans that could be available at minimum are: Felton, Devin Harris, Johnson, Afflalo, Ilyasova, Tolliver, Pachulia, Black, Speights. I assumed it would make sense for Lebron to carry some of his Cavs friends to the Rockets, that’s why I have gone with Wade, Green and Frye. Depending on Zhou Qi’s development, the team may decide he can be the 3rd center. In this case, the team could sign Johnson or Tolliver instead of Frye. Wade and Green, outside of being Lebron’s buddies, are perhaps the best Gordon/Tucker replacements you can find with vet min salary. Wade can replace Gordon’s playmaking and scoring, while Green has Tucker’s athleticism and ability to guard multiple positions. If above players get better offers, we should still be able to sign 2-3 decent players at vet min to complete the rotation.

Possible alternatives for taxpayer MLE are difficult to predict, as it is unknown who would accept that salary level. Belinelli should also be available there, and I wouldn’t be surprised if better players like Barton or Evans accepted that offer. I have gone for Moute for continuity purposes, plus he fits the 3&D role perfectly.

Conclusions
    a) It is possible to sign both Paul and Lebron in the summer to high offers, but they would both need to leave money on the table. The best way to get there is via Lebron opting-in in his final year
    b) We would lose at least 2 of Anderson, Gordon, Tucker and Ariza, and in worst case all of them depending on how much Paul and Lebron are willing to sacrifice. In the best scenario we keep Ariza, Tucker, Moute and replace Anderson/Gordon with Lebron.
    c) If we do a sign-and-trade we could fill the bench with 3-4 decent players at vet min and 1 at the taxpayer MLE. The Cavs expirings would be a good place to complete the roster and some of them would be happy to follow Lebron
    d) The logistics of getting this done are very tricky. We would need to find a trade partner for Anderson, hold off Ariza/Capela from signing offer sheets, get Paul/Lebron to sacrifice salary, get the Cavs to play ball, and find suitable FA replacements at vet min (if needed). All at the right timing and sequence
    e) Given we would be gutting our roster, I would only do this if Lebron signed for a minimum of 2 years without player option. 2 years of Paul, Lebron, Harden, Capela and role players should guarantee us at least one title. In the opt-in scenario the loss of players is smaller, in which case even a year of Lebron would be worth it.
    f) Sign-and-trade with the Cavs or Lebron opting-in would allow us to pay Lebron more, plus offer us a chance to keep Ariza. Both require the Cavs' help. Hopefully Lebron has built enough goodwill with the Cavs franchise, and they will be open to facilitating his exit. It will be difficult to make this happen without the Cavs playing ball.
    g) Assuming we keep Capela, the actual amount we pay him does not affect our chance of getting Lebron. The only constraint is how much luxury tax our owner is willing to pay. I have assumed $17m for this exercise.

Cap experts, feel free to correct any wrong assumptions I have made and add suggestions on how we can bring Lebron to Houston. I have edited to add an opt-in scenario.

#1 ilias, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

TL;DR, and also not 100% accurate! I’ll wait for the Bimathug article.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I would just offer CP3 six years.

1st year min, 5 year super max net year.

Dump Anderson and you are done.

Paul / Gordon
    Harden / Tucker
    Lebron / Moute
    Ariza / Qi
    Capela / Nene / Black

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

What about Lebron doing what CP3 just did and facilitating an opt-in and trade?

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think you mean:

Paul / Gordon
    Harden / Tucker
    Ariza / Moute
    Lebron / Qi
    Capela / Nene / Black

6. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

The Ringer article made it seem like we can do this with only Ryno leaving.

7. ilias

ilias Member

This could be one way around it. Not sure if Paul would go with the minimum for a year. But we would only be able to offer Paul 4 years in 2019, as that would take him to age 38. Same situation as Nene last year.

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This.

if Lebron wants to come here all that has to happen is:

1) make it clear to CLE he’s leaving

2) demonstrate that HOU has the ability to create the cap space (even if it means gutting)

3) LBJ opting in and doing a trade so we don’t have to gut the roster and CLE gets compensated.

This has been said multiple times but it’s essentially same thing CP3 did. I don’t think we’d actually have to create the cap space. Just demonstrate the ability and willingness to do it.

The hardest part is getting Lebron to want to come here. If that happens morey can do the rest of the heavy lifting. After that it’d just be a question of how much tax Tilman is willing to pay.

Deuce likes this.
  9. ilias

ilias Member

4 of the 5 scenarios above are exactly that. Lebron signing with Cavs and then getting traded to Houston. There is a limit to how much he could sign for, based on how much salary we can send out. Sending Gordon and Tucker would allow Lebron to sign a $26.9m per year contract with the Cavs before getting traded to us.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A way to sign Lebron outright

Trade Gordon for a 1st, trade Tucker for a 2nd - both with NO salary in return.

Use those picks to dump Anderson for no cap in return, add our 1st if necessary.

Dump Onuaku for cash or a 2nd that won't convert

Renounce Ariza, Black, Williams, Moute, Brown, Weber, Jackson

Sign Lebron to a 3 or 4 year deal starting roughly at 30 mill, sign Paul to a one year (roughly) 20 mill deal (with plans to re-sign him to a long term overpay next season to make up for the pay cut).

Try to re-sign Ariza or Moute with the room exception, then re-sign Bobby Brown to the minimum of course.

Paul / Brown
    Harden
    (Ariza or Moute)
    James / Qi
    Capela / Nene

Then fill out the roster with vet mins.

Of course, we could have more to work with if Lebron were to take, say a deal starting at 25 mill like KD, and or CP3 were to take an even larger paycut starting around 15 mill, but those are pretty big asks, I think a 30/20 split between the two would be most likely.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

no they’re not

I’m not talking about a straight up S&T, I’m talking about Lebron opting in to the final year of his contract and then facilitating a trade to Houston...that way we would have his Bird Rights and could pay him a lot of money in the summer of 2019

Lebron signing for 27 mil/yr is too much wishful thinking for me...if he opted in, then we could give them Capela (on your 17 mil/yr contract that u stated in your OP), Gordon, and multiple picks

or if they’d take Ryno, u could give them Ryno and Gordon and whatever picks are needed

12. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

LeBron opt-in next year and force a trade to Houston is the best option for Rockets. That way we don't have to gut our roster and Cleveland can get some compensations.

If we have to gut our roster, I am not sure if that team is better than the current team, which is very deep.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  13. ilias

ilias Member

I see what you are saying. Yes, that would work. Gordon+Capela or Gordon+Anderson would get it done. Lebron would make $35m.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Cleveland(specifically Dan Gilbert) will not help facilitate any trade did Lebron out of Cleveland.

This is something everybody needs to understand and accept. So pls stop entertaining the idea of a sign and trade.

saleem likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

it just seems like the best option to me...Bron makes his 35 mil for 1 year, and we’d have his Bird Rights going into the next summer so he could re-up on a max if Tilman is willing to pay up

Morey could give CP3 a favorable 5 year deal. Could he get CP3 to agree to something like 5/110-5/120?

u could give Bron a 5 year max with a PO for that 5th year starting in 2019

Harden and CP3 would be free agents in 2023, and so would Bron if he opted out...the Rockets could then start over at that point

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, Cleveland sign-and-traded Lebron to Miami back in 2010...

Lebron gave them a championship.

#16 Reeko, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's less likely to happen now, unless he gets a big offer.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why is it less likely?

19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yeah they did it once before + to not do so after he got them a title would go over pretty badly imo.

No GM is stupid or stubborn enough to take nothing when they have some leverage to improve their team. They’d have the nets pick and could do some real damage on a rebuild if they started collecting assets.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has brought a NBA Championship to Cleveland. The first time in 2010, he wasn't the player that he is now, despite his age.
    Gilbert might persuade LBJ to stay, and try to get better players to help him out,