1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to get rid of wasps

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the shark, Jun 12, 2020.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Any suggestions on how to get rid of wasps and more importantly how to keep them away?

My daughter got stung awhile back and now she's avoiding coming out in the backyard because of the wasps.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Nook, B-Bob, Buck Turgidson and 2 others like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yup, wasp spray be getting them from 20 ft away. Kills them in 10 seconds.

Joshfast likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Fake nests help too. They won’t make a nest within so many yards of another nest.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd also try the wasp spray or you can have fun like I want to do and get 2 litre soda bottles and make cool wasp traps in about 5 minutes and kill them by the dozens (assuming you have that many). Check YouTube.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Pee on them to show dominance.

JK, call an exterminator

ROCKSS and Blake like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The Spectracide shared above is probably the quickest/safest solution... But... if you're very crazy you can - And I seriously don't recommend this or even do it myself!! toss a very small small amount of gasoline on them. But please don't attempt this or then light it (that's not necessary, gas is like instant just having it touch them) but unfortunately people don't realize the danger and will do something even more dangerous and then have a worse situation since their experience with gas is watching movies (seriously though don't do the gas thing I just thought it was interesting) - I'm also not calling anyone out or saying people don't know how gas burns but you'd be surprised.

Anyway... If you want to do it the mechanic way and aren't crazy enough to risk burning down your shop (please note this is just for educational purposes as what's already been shared is perfect and this isn't super safe since you have to get closer) - you can use brake cleaner. I seriously don't care about wasps but with kids or people who are allergic I'll remove them. It does bring back a memory where I tried to save them while I was working on a car engine... Unfortunately they wouldn't leave the nest, I seriously attempted to move the nest. I don't like to kill insects if they're doing their thing, unfortunately they decided to build a nest in a neglected car I had to fix the valve cover on.... I eventually had to give in and kill them, that kind of sucked... Like in the garage spiders are more than welcome but wasps... While I don't care about their sting I don't feel like dealing with it either. Spiders though are awesome for mosquitoes/flies. As long as they do their thing and it's outside or in the garage I'm good (so not bothering wife/kids/and not in the house etc) sorry for the detour.... But for science - brake cleaner, hahah

Exiled and Jontro like this.
  8. donkeypunch

Ive killed a whole nest with the spray before and never knocked down the nest, only to see another nest built right across from it 5 feet away.

Buck Turgidson and ElPigto like this.
  9. donkeypunch

Man, you seriously might be the nicest guy in this forum. Never in a million years would I try to move a wasp nest. Their the biggest assholes in all the insect kingdom. I was traumatized by them as a kid because they built a nest above our front door and I just got dropped off the bus walked to the door and as I was turning the knob 2 of them attacked me in the neck and arm. Then they chased me for a good 15 yards. Theyre territorial and dont have to be provoked to sting. **** wasps.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’ve heard they work. I just do a check for nests once a week. I can’t stand wasps.

we also get these giant cicada killer wraps that are like 2 inches long. The don’t mess with people but scare the hell out of me. I’ve contemplated releasing praying mantises in my yard.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

WASPs tend to leave when ethnic people move into the neighborhood.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My grandmother used to tie a whole bunch of newspaper to the end of an old broom handle, put a match to it, and as the flames roared, shoved that sucker right up into the wasp nest. Burned them all to a crisp in a second. Not kidding! Wish I had film of it. She was the sweetest lady you'd ever meet, but hell on wheels when it came to getting rid of a wasp nest.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use the spray. Inspect the areas your kids play and let them know not to mess with them.

We're either at or near the time of the year when wasps are just waiting to die. They DGAF at that time.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

A can of aerosol hairspray and a lighter ..... Best time is after dark when they are inactive.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than that bug spray they sell at HD and more fun too.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wasp spay and balls. Or do it at night when they’re docile.

16. droxford

droxford Member

17. the shark

the shark Member

I appreciate the suggestions.

More interested on how to keep them away than killing them as I see them.

Suggestions?

18. Buck Turgidson

Pear burner. No guarantees you won't burn your house down, but it'll kill the wasps.

Nook likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I HATE wasps...I don’t like most things that can fly...I hate bees, I don’t like birds

the 1st time I saw a roach spread its wings and take flight, it scarred me for life

BigShasta likes this.
  20. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Miniaturized patriot missile system. If you can get nuclear tipped war heads, its the way to go. Its the only way to be sure.