1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to fix the Rockets game 1 loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 15, 2018.

1. mockster

mockster Member

1. Harden has to get his team more involved, he played great but him dribbling and going ISO cost us a lot of TOS and bad last second shot attempts and ultimately ended up us having to play catch up. He should actually try to get his shots off early [7 seconds or less] or get some more ball movement. Nothing wrong with iso if he’s on but he’s gotta have a better balance

2. Paul needs to be more involved and quiete honestly being the main ball handler even with harden. Even though Paul contributed he almost seemed invisible because all we saw was harden mostly dribbling. Games where Paul is operating the offense I feel like we do better.

3. Get mbah out, ever since his shoulder injury he has not been the same and he’s even admitted it. It sucks because he was usually able to give ya some drives and threes and obviously defense effort. I wouldn’t mind testing the waters with him some more but if he doesn’t improve he needs to go

4. Bring in ISO Joe, give Anderson a shot at away games though. Warriors defense is tight. Our non dribbler guys like ariza, Tucker and etc are struggling scoring. Johnson might be able to create for us a little since he has the ability to iso and at least distrout the defense so he can pass it out when he penetrates

5. Ariza and capela are the only length capable people at guarding Durant. Ariza needs to stay foul free and I wouldn’t mind seeing capela trying to guard Durant a little I mean it’s not gonna hurt compared to him jump shooting over the shorter defender

6. This goes back to harden sharing more but get gordon a lot more involved. I’ve said before he will be the reason we win or lose

He’s gotta get back to start of the season gordon where he’s giving us 20-30 points. I knew this would happen against the warriors and some of our players who can create their own shot would have to step up.

#1 mockster, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Out of curiousity . . . is this the plan that got the 50 pt Third Quarter with Utah . . . .
    Where has this worked. . .have we done it at any time all year?

Rocket River

bulkatron likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The secret is...

play harder.

joeson332, mockster and durvasa like this.
  4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

You forgot *clap, clap*

joeson332 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On D
    1. Double Team KD and force him to make cross court passes.
    2. Work more on denying him the ball and bothering the passing lanes
    3. When Capela is on the bench, we must force Curry to jump shoot more and drive less. Consider Trapping him up top.
    4. When Harden is on the bench, use roles players to burn a very high intensity frenetic D with traps at the top of the key and in the corners

On O
    1. Attack the basket earlier in the possession with drive and kick out more than forcing internal passes and wild lay-ups
    2. Save step back for Q 4

Overall
    - Rockets came out a bit too juiced and burned out in the 1st half. They need to pace themselves (their energy) a bit more.

mockster, thekad, BigO and 2 others like this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Let CP initiate offense and let Harden finish.

mockster and LUK3 like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The secret is to not lose confidence and for guys that blew opportunities to not blow them this game .

I don't know what game you guys were watching .... or maybe people just base their thinking off of the plethora of hot-take sports shows .... but the rockets played well and the warriors played well .

There is no secret to beating a team as talented as the warriors . No scheme is going to make their "hamptons" 5 not be supremely good . You have to play with tenacity and focus beyond normal .... and as we saw with this game ... you have to execute .

If you miss a layup vs GS it's pretty much guaranteed a 4-5 point swing . They WILL score in transition because of how talented they are and how great their shooters are .

Luc alone missed 3 .... that's a 12-15 point swing ... that's the entire point difference.

joeson332, buzz1701, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  8. RoxFanfrom93

RoxFanfrom93 Member

Just start Eric Gordon. Keep the rotation tight. Nene has no business in this series. Play Anderson and PJ tucker together with the bench.

9. mockster

mockster Member

Well since I made several points I think it’s a little hard to answer your broad questions. I mean have we made adjustments of coarse we have I dunno what’s so far fetched about my comments but to answer yes we have.

We do our best when cp3 is alot more involved, nothing wrong with iso harden but he was dribbling the whole shot clock away to many times

Idk how recognizing that mbah is struggling and playing JJ is unheard of.

Go look at Gordon’s stats when we beat warriors he had solid games and part of the reason we won because of his added scoring.

Sounds like your being sarcastic anyway but news flash this ain’t Utah plus I didn’t propose anything ground breaking, their still gonna play their game, you act like I proposed a new offensive gameplan or something. They should keep playing rockets basketball they just need to make minor adjustments. It’s not like that played bad the warriors are just elite

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not against adjustments
    but no matter what we do . . . it is still dependent on the same role players to DO SOMETHING
    and
    I am not being sarcastic . . .well not much

Some Role Players played BAD!!! At least on one end

We had 4 players with significant minutes that were O Fer whatever
    and PJ had 1 point . . . . . .

No matter what we do . . . . if they not hitting .. it won't matter

Rocket River

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trying to see what exactly was different in this game . . beyond the competition

Rocket River

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It really comes down to making shots. Even if they played the same defense, just making their open shots has them hangin in tight with gsw ...

That’s the quick fix.

I’d say let KD score 50 a game. 60, 70 whatever. Let him eat and make the others starve. But that’s still gonna require rockets to hit 3s.

hakeem94 and MyLateRegistration like this.
  13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

No need to change the defense on KD. Make his shots difficult and hope he misses. What they really need to do is limit Klay Thompson's easy shots. We can compete with Durant and Curry, we cant beat them when Klay is scoring in bunches too.

Offensively, I agree with most of you guys, whatever they do needs to happen quicker. If they want to get Curry to switch onto Harden they need to do it while Harden is bringing the ball up.

Something simple the Rockets can do is add another screen. For instance, let's say Curry is guarding Ariza. Last night the Rockets just had Ariza run straight to Harden to set the screen. It got the switch we wanted but it allowed Curry to get in position to slow Harden down.

What they need to do instead is have Ariza screen for someone else (like Capela), then have Capela come screen for Harden. Now Curry has to worry about switching onto Capela and then switch onto Harden.

It's simple but it puts the defense in a much bigger bind.

And then if they dont switch, the help defender is out of position on Capela's screen.

joshuaao likes this.
  14. 523744

523744 Member

Maybe Kobe could do a new 'Detail' episode for us.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

The team needs to get out in transition much more to put pressure on the Warriors D. Their half court D gave the Rockets fits last night.

Must do a better job at closing out on shooters.

Move Clint around more in half court sets. CC was too stagnant on offense and far too often I saw him literally standing out of bounds because Green would move him away from the play.

16. mockster

mockster Member

Well what I noticed is tucker, ariza and etc can’t create for themselves. Their open jump shot shooters. They have to realize harden isoing every play then passing it with 5 seconds on the clock isn’t going to help his teammates. Theirs gotta be more ball movement if we want even a little chance.

With that said I think our role players need to move around a lot more. To much standing around but them watching harden iso every play may make them more stagnant

End of story warriors defense stays tight on everyone, some ball movement is gonna be needed if rockets plan on getting other teammates involved

And like I said I don’t think harden isoinhg is bad but we gotta get the W abs that means we gotta get some productivity out of our role players

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The problem is. . . I don't think Ariza/Tuck and Luc have good hands
    I don't think they can catch it well on the move like Capela can

Rocket River

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

7. Wouldn't hurt if MDA could try to sneak an extra player on the court following time-outs.

mockster likes this.
  19. riko

riko Member

Pick and roll and tighten the rotation on defense.

Iggy and greens man need to double Kd as soon he touches.

Paul needs to cut out the ISOLATION plays because he is a great playmaker and not a iso scorer

Gordon should be used as a post scorer option to use size advantage. I feel we rarely Use that strength

charlieaustin and mockster like this.
  20. mockster

mockster Member

Ariza is a clumsy b*stard that’s for sure

I think luc can easy but his confidence is blown and obviously injured so he can’t really be who he is.

Tuck im unsure of

All I know is that warriors defense is tough and no one is getting any free looks. I feel like the warriors tactic is to just smother everyone and live with harden scoring.