1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to find the best coach for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, May 14, 2016.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I've been thinking long and hard about how the Rockets can hit a home run with their next coaching hire.

I know some people are upset because some amazing coaches with great "systems", "Xs and Os", sideline gesticulating skills, yelling skills, holding players accountable skills, etc., have already been taken off the market.

I know it may seem disconcerting at first glance that all of these men in suits and clipboards and immense power to change the fortunes of NBA franchises have been snatched up by other teams, but I don't think you need to worry about that, and I'll tell you why. I have a theory, and it's admittedly still a bit of a work in progress, but it goes something like this-

If we get some good players, then whatever coach we choose will turn out to be good.

I'm still working out the kinks on this theory and gathering evidence to support it. Here's the list of reasons I've come up with so far:

1) Every coach that has ever been considered 'great', has had really good players.

2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

2011 Mavs

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You pick up the phone and call.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

2015-2016 Rockets

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Read ClutchFans
    Hire coach they want
    ????
    PROFIT!

:)

#5 J.R., May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

It seems like the coaches coming out of NCAA has been above average. We should follow that plan IMO.

7. ibm

ibm Member

could any coach have 6 titles with the jordan bulls? dont think so.

op sounds like morey, really. :p

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

College coaches make more than Nba coaches, plus its more stable.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

simple task absent mental r****dation. have them interview harden and whomever harden can't proceed to ram c*ck in f***ing ass is the best coach.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Prior to Fred Hoiberg (who has been disappointing), Bully Donovan and Brad Stevens there were:
    Mike Dunlap
    Reggie Theus
    Mike Montgomery
    Lon Kruger
    Leonard Hamilton
    Tim Floyd
    Rick Pitino
    John Calipari
    PJ Carlisimo

NCAA is a different game. The number of coaches who didn't succeed greatly outnumber the ones that did.

11. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

I want Morey to coach this team. Period.
    I strongly believe he figured it(Basket ball as a game) out and I am proud of him.
    You guys should stop hating him, he is the best thing ever happen to any of the Houston sports franchises - he is the best thing ever happen to Basket ball.

Tell me what do these ex-players know about basket ball? Morey knows 100 times more than any of those players and coaches. He is the best GM in NBA, he is the one who put Rockets on the map like nobody ever did before. I want him to coach this team, he will lead us to multiple championship. He just need 10 more years, thats it.

What can go wrong? At worst, he will loose 5 more games than Kerr or Pop.

12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

NBA=chess
    College =checkers

1 person likes this.
  13. Oracle

Oracle Member

When a teams coaching search gets clogged, I get the impression that the FO doesn't really know what they are looking for. This is the NBA and it is not credited for its patience and fast decisions are dominant. The other possibility is that there are significant differences in opinions between the owner and the FO (or within the FO). The teams that acted with great determination were the Timberwolves, Sacramento and the Wizards (we may even include the Suns and the Nets). Indy seems to move to close the deal fast as well. We don't know enough about the Grizzlies and the Magic yet. The two teams that best fit my above description of indecisiveness are the Knicks and the Rockets. Both teams seem to have serious problems in the FO. It's not a good sign.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I love your takes bro, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

For example: A "good" coach is the difference between Harden's prima-dona-ing and lack of effort to Harden playing upto potential. Its also what allows other players on the team to emulate good behavior.

I think we have seen what an enabler type head figure does to immature young stars. It is imperative that we get a seasoned coach who can instill good habits into this team. The lack of discipline was glaring. Portland series was a perfect example...all those "coin flip" losses were attributable to execution. Its why you had guys like terrence jones guarding the inbound pass :confused:

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

By reading the GARM and picking a CF poster, we all sound extremely qualified and are smarter than most coaches.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well at least OP believes in overall talent. Morey just wants a couple of stars with below average talent plus whatever coach, lol.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree this entire season was an example of how coaches really effect games. For instance when you lose a lot of close games that suggests bad coaching. The coach has no idea who to put in where and does not know how to keep it together at the end of the game. Close games are all about putting your team in positions to win, when you're losing them then the coach is not doing his job. Over playing Harden and Ariza so that they are tired at the end of games. Playing Brewer at all with all the mistakes and poor shooting were incredibly stupid decisions. Not going with other talent when the talent that was out there was not performing was the difference between the Rockets in 8th as apposed to the 5th seed.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

..Craigslist is a good place for coaching jobs ads

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its true the great coaches always had great players, but the good coaches are the ones that overachieved with average=poor players. i want one of those guys, and then i want to give him great players.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The difference between 14-15 McHale and 15-16 McHale?

I still have not heard a good theory how the 14-15 Rockets became 15-16 Rockets with essentially the same core and same coaching.