1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Rockets can get Butler and keep Capella + Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mannanali1994, Jun 25, 2019.

1. mannanali1994

mannanali1994 New Member

First I want to say everything I type below is from research and I may be completely wrong but from all I know this may be what Morey was planning all along.

As currently constructed the only way the rockets can sign and trade for Butler is by either trading Capella + Gordon or trading CP3. I think the first scenario is what most of us are predicting but I believe there maybe a loophole and Morey might be able to exploit it. This would be an Iman Shumpert sign and trade deal with a team with a bunch of cap space to absorb it. Since Houston has full bird rights, we're able to sign him on a max contract. You may ask why would we sign Iman Shumpert to a MAX contract? It would be blasphemous for the Rockets to offer a full max to Iman shumpert, but in stead the Rocket would only offer a 1 year 30+ million contract.

Lets says hypothetically the Knicks strike out on all the free agent big names and instead of signing mid tier free agents they can use their cap space to trade with the Rockets and get back some picks. Why would the Rockets do this you may ask and how does this relate to getting Jimmy Buckets? Well you see we would then recoup a trade exception where we could use in a sign and trade with the 76ers for Butler. If butler can convince the 76er's he's leaving and their better off sending Butler in a sign and trade for a trade exception and a few picks then the Rockets may be in business.

To recap:

1. Sign Iman Shumpert to max 1 year deal

2. Trade Iman to a team with cap space along with a couple of picks

3. Sign and Trade for Jimmy Butler using the Trade Exception and more picks.

Finally you're 2019-2020 Roster would look like this:

CP3/Llull(lol)
    Harden/Gordon
    Butler/House
    PJ/Clark
    Capella/Nene

Again this is something I thought of and am not entirely sure if it is possible so I'm sure someone like Bimathung would have to verify but I do think this is a valid scenario.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The most we can sign Shump to is 13.2 mill per Bima.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but none of this is possible.

You'd have BYC issues giving Shumpert the max.

A sign-and-trade of Shumpert must be at least three seasons (although only the first must be guaranteed).

Upon acquiring Butler via sign-and-trade, the Rockets would be hard capped at around $139 million, and the team salary from your roster far exceeds that.

Oh, and my name is not "Bimathung". ;)

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Cleverly disguised Llull thread

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good effort. Never dunk on someone for trying to be creative, you just lacked all of the information.

The hard cap would be trigged by any S&T and this wouldn't work. Sorry young brother.

donkeypunch likes this.
  6. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Congrats on your 2nd post in 7 years

#6 BeardNation13, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    topfive, jch1911, Sajan and 1 other person like this.
  7. maw7079

maw7079 Member

I stopped reading at Iman Shumpert sign and trade... nobody but D’Antoni wants that bum bro.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Pretty creative ....never thought about it, what constitutes or prevents us from giving a player 30 million per say just to make the trade work??? And attach 4 first round picks....

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Iman-nanali, good to know you.

OP is Shumpert confirmed.

dragonwill and Corpusfan like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

What about signing Shump to $13.2 mil 1 yr deal and combining that with Gordon's $14 mil and Nene's contract. Philly would have a lot of expiring contracts and players they could actually use (Nene is iffy at best).

11. Asian Sensation

“Bimathung”.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Capela.

one L.

The rest of what you posted was also nonsense.

Sajan likes this.
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

You can’t combine S&T player with other players. Not in the same transaction

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Shumpert or capela to third team for cap room.

76ers want gordon.