1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Rockets are getting absolutely jobbed by the referees against the Blazers. With statistics!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Apr 26, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Okay, so let me preface this by saying the Blazers are a jump-shooting team. They rely on outside shooting nearly more than any other team in the league. They had the 3rd lowest amount of points in the paint in the NBA this season. The Rockets had the 2nd highest amount of points in the paint.

In general, teams that attack the paint get fouled more than outside-shooting teams, which leads to more free-throw attempts. This explains why during the regular season, the Rockets shot 31.1 free throws per game compared to the Blazers who shot 23.5 per game.

Now, keeping this in mind, let's look at the stats for all 3 games. I am going to subtract hack-a-howard free throws, technical foul free throws, and overtime free throws. The purpose of that is to find the number of free throws coming from FOULS in regulation. Overtime distorts the number and hack-a-howard and techs are anomalies that also distort the numbers.

So here we go:

Game 1

Hack-a-Howard and technical foul free throws:

Houston: 7 (6 h-a-h, 1 tech)
    Portland: 2 (2 tech)

Subtracting those free throws from the game total:

Houston: 40 - 7 = 33 free throws
    Portland: 39 - 2 = 37 free throws

Overtime free throws:

Houston: 8
    Portland:7

So total regulation free throws, subtracting hack-a-howard and techs:

Houston: 25
    Portland: 30

Points in paint:

Houston: 58
    Portland: 52

Game 2

Houston: 0
    Portland: 1 (1 tech on Houston)

Houston: 30 free throws
    Portland: 27 - 1 = 26 free throws

Total regulation free throws:

Houston: 30
    Portland: 26

Points in paint:

Houston: 68
    Portland: 30

Game 3

Houston: 1 (1 tech on portland)
    Portland 0

Houston: 22 - 1 = 21 free throws
    Portland: 28 free throws

Overtime Free Throws:

Houston: 4
    Portland: 2

Total regulation free throws:

Houston: 17
    Portland: 26

Points in the paint:

Houston: 56
    Portland: 36

Regular season free throw averages per game:

Houston: 31.1
    Portland: 23.5

2014 playoff regulation averages:

Houston: 24.0
    Portland: 27.3

Houston is getting 7.1 less free throw attempts in the playoffs, while Portland is getting nearly 4 more free throw attempts than in the regular season. An 11 attempt swing in Portland's favor. And potentially an 11 point swing PER GAME.

How is an outside-shooting team who has been scoring much LESS points in the paint in these playoffs getting 3.3 more free-throw attempts than the leage-leading free-throw shooting team per game in these playoffs? I mean, in the second game, the Rockets had 4 more free throw attempts... but they had 38 more points in the paint! 38!

Portland is getting a very disproportionate number of free-throw attempts when they take the ball inside compared to the Rockets.

The Rockets are getting hosed by the referees.

3 people like this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You really can't argue with that.

I thought it was strange how Portland went 17-0 in the first half in game 1. It helped Portland sustain the Rockets energy and completely kept them in the game.

It has been weird.

3. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

People want to b**** about coaching and execution on the board, but I think this is the key to why we are struggling with a combination of Harden's shooting. I think Harden is struggling because he can't get to the line as easily. But I'm not sure I blame it entirely on the refs. Harden and Howard really need to show their leadership and be more aggressive and they'll get the refs benefit of the doubt more often. You can overanalyze NBA playoff basketball with coaching and who should be in the rotation and what kind of plays should be run, but it always boils down to the superstars on your team and how they preform.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hack-a-Howard happened twice by my count in game 3.

The second time they claimed, or it might have been, unintentional.

Watching the games, I can't help but feel like the refs were briefed to avoid giving Harden foul calls.

Oh well, his job to man up and play some physical ball.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Houston does seem to foul more when playing defense than Portland does.

Granted, the refs did miss some slaps on Howard, along with not buying into Harden's antics due to his reputation as a flopper.

However, Portland's players do have a step up when it comes to playing perimeter defense without fouling.

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

Great numbers. The only reason I can fathom is that Portland has a better rep as a defensive team so they're getting away with no calls while Houston (notoriously bad on defense) gets whistled. Still there's no excuse for this garbage. This series has been amazing but very frustrating to watch.

7. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

They have completely swallowed the whistle for James Harden. His normal "show the ball, get defender to swipe and draw foul" move isn't working. Plus they are not calling anything inside for Howard. He is beasting and they are letting the contact go.

I like it as far as they are consistent. But then you see some touch fouls, specially on jump shooters which really piss me off.

8. sutton

sutton Member

Damian Lillard avg 5.2 FTA regular season, avg 11 FTA last 3 games

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

What? Rockets were a top 10 defensive team majority of the season whereas Portland was 22nd or something

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Harden was not 14-47 the first two games, your numbers might have more merit. As it is, if Harden was simply 20-47 (still below is season average) and all other things being equal, Houston would be up 3-0 right now.

11. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

Except how many of those misses would have been called fouls in the regular season?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's always been reliant on getting to the foul line to help create "space" for his game.

Once you get physical with him, and you're not calling fouls, he's pretty much neutralized and has to start forcing up shots in volume to get enough to go in.

The main issue is that the refs have overcorrected to account for his flopping (they did the same thing last year), and it took him out of his comfort zone.

He needs to develop a post-game in the off-season.... refs seem to be able to call post-up fouls on guards more consistently.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Does anyone else realize how different everything would be right now if the refs had called a loose ball foul on Jeremy Lin over Mo Williams on that now-famous play?

The way the reffing has been in this series, I'm frankly shocked that they didn't. That's just the type of thing that would have left me seething for days.

14. yummyhawtsauce

it's true, but that's the way the refs are callin git. what pisses me off the most is that Alrdige gets these p***y ass foul calls and that dwight clearly gets contact and **** and get nothing. it's because the refs are biased.

Because Dwight plays a physical game, they assume it's okay to have that kind of contact, but it's NOT okay for alrdridge to get the same physical contact treatment from other players. wtf is this. and then the time when Lin gets harassed 2x from Williams and Linw as waiting fo ra call, nothing so he goes up for the layup instead to punish.

tired of these refs. gotta beat portland and the refs. w.e David and Goliath.

/rant.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most players struggle when they are getting hacked with no calls. If you breath near Lillard or LMA they are at the line but you can hack Howard and Harden with no repercussions (in fact it usually leads to a missed shot and a wasted possession)

16. Swag

Swag Member

lma gets some pretty questionable phantom calls.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Difference is that Harden has a reputation of initiating/forcing/flopping to sell the contact (without attempting to actually make the shot). He was going to the foul line in OKC before he was actually a real "star" because he learned how to **** his head back and flail with the slightest bit of contact.

Now that he's in the spotlight, the refs no longer are giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He's been going to that strategy FIRST.... and when the refs don't call it, he looks lost.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think the first game was most egregious but we probably should have lost game 2.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So they are ignoring fouls because he has a reputation for causing people to foul him? Makes sense.....

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not an exaggeration to say that Harden should have been to the line at least 4 or 5 more times last night and Howard should have been to the line about 4 or 5 more times himself. The refs are just ignoring it when those guys get hacked and it's BS.