1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How the Knicks can land Mutombo...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GATER, Dec 6, 2000.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

and the TWolves can get a 1st round draft pick:

atlanta trades: Dikembe Mutombo $14,423,400 to knicks
    atlanta trades: Chris Crawford $2,200,000 to minnesota
    TOTAL: $16,623,400
    knicks trades: Allan Houston $9,000,000 to minnesota
    knicks trades: Marcus Camby $5,750,000 to atlanta
    TOTAL: $14,750,000

minnesota trades: Terrell Brandon $8,325,000 to atlanta
    minnesota trades: Wally Szczerbiak $2,162,280 to atlanta
    TOTAL: $10,487,280

If the Hawks throw in a 1st rounder, it might tempt the TWolves!.

Knicks lineup
    5 Deke
    4 LJ/Kurt Thomas
    3 Rice
    2 Sprewell
    1 Ward

TWolves lineup
    5 Nesterovic
    4 KG
    3 Crawford
    2 Houston
    1 Billups/Avery

Minn can use the Hawks pick to shoreup 3 or 1 or 5.

Hawks lineup
    5 L. Wright/Camby
    4 Henderson/McLeod/Camby
    3 J.Jackson/Szczerbiak/Mottola
    2 DerMarr/L.Robinson
    1 Brandon/Terry/Maloney

Any thoughts?

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited December 06, 2000).]

2. Summer Song Giver

Thatta way to combine every rumor we've heard over the last few months [​IMG]

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

SSG - Even if it were done tomorrow, the rumor mill would not stop cranking for even a mere 15 minutes!!!

------------------
    GATER

4. Summer Song Giver

It's actually not a bad deal

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

This would help the Wolves too much.

------------------
    If I make this shot, the Rockets will win tonight. If I miss, they might still win, but I doubt it.
    If I make two in a row, Florida's votes will actually count.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Throwing in a pick wouldn't be a good idea for Atl. Because a lineup of Brandon-Jackson-Sczerbiak-Henderson-Camby (or whatever other grouping they come up with) is gonna guarantee them a high lotto pick for quite awhile (until/unless DeMarr matures).

------------------
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve immortality by not dying. - Woody Allen

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Atlanta gets a bad deal. Plus I think they want Jason terry to become the starting pg. He is probably the best on the team right now.

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

9. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

It is actually not that bad a trade all around. Except it will never happen.

Realistically, all the players you listed have been mentioned at some time with regards to a trade .... but .... to summarize:

Hawks: in need of a major roster facelift. Major as in ... MUST. Deke has only been considered trade fodder so far because he has the summer negortiations coming and he is the only true mega-tradeable commodity there. The only one that could be traded and move the Hawks into a sizable gain on the roster.

Deke: he is costly, but wants to stay where he is. Management (and owner) want him to stay as a first choice. Trade will be considered only if it nets substantial improvements.

TRhge Team Histories: All of the teams involved have ended up with some pretty poor moves in the last three years. Most notably the Hawks and the Knicks.

Knicks: have major redundantcy in their roster. Almost devoid of position balance. It is obvious. Yet ironically have made few improvements (if any) for the last three years. The same three years that produced "has been" and "also ran" tatoos to appear all over their Eastern Conference playoff asses. They have not fully recovered as a Ewingless team,IMHO. Not surprising since Van Gundy still attempts to run the same type of schemes as if Patrick still haunted the Garden paint.

Houston: Allan not the city. He is expendable because he is one of the redundancies. Still a favorable talented player with a new contract due this summer. All other considerations aside, he would have been a much better pickup for Phil Jackson this year than JR.

Terrel Brandon: I don't care what Flip and all the other notables (Except McHale) say, this guy is going to be traded. And soon. The puppies need some options on the roster. Brandon isn't anymore. A less than #6 playoff spot and a leap to the second round will be considered a failure for this season. That's Kevin McHale and Kevin Garnett's opinion, not mine.

Wally Szzzz: Less likely to be traded, but definitely a pick up for some lucky team. Most people keep thinking that the Wolves are a wide open offense. That may be a misnomer. Wally needs some set plays, someone coming out of the post, and opthert half cort action to be really effective. Lately he has not been getting the type of shots he needs or deserves.

I would go out on a limb and offer a couple of Rockets for Wally if given the chance. I am not a big Deke fan. Don't trust Camby's committment. Do like A. Houston, but he would be luxury (and a cost drain) we do not presently need. Would like to have Spree (I know I'll get postings on that). T. Brandon I don't want for any price. He's a big hospital bill and playtime complaint away from sinking some team,IMHO. I would take Crawford. Great upside.

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You should have involved the Nuggets giving up McDyess somehow, for scrubs....you know, just to keep our Nugget friends coming back!!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

its not a bad deal, but a hawks first rounder could turn out to be curry, wallace, or any other 1-3 picks. if oyu havent noticed they arent too good.

12. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

billups is better at the 2. avery is not ready. isnt a good trade unless minnesota gets jason terry.

------------------
    --TEX

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Gater,

I have thought about your proposal for several days and came to realize that a trade of A Houston this season would make it almost impossible to take a shot at Webber next summer.

NY would have a roster of Spree, Mutombo, Rice, LJ and assorted other players. Very little trade value left and nothing that would interest the Kings to do a sign-n-trade deal if Webber had his heart set on playing in NY with Spree. The Knicks would have to move some major salary in a sign-n-trade and LJ & Rice represent major salary. Neither player would "fit" into what the Kings are doing.

So, does NY make the Mutombo play this season, or keep A Houston and hope to swing a sign-n-trade for Webber next summer?

Mango

------------------
    Lets get the Mo Go working!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!