1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How thankful are you now that the Melo trade didn't happen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, Nov 5, 2017.

1. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

You know what's amazing? Oladipo and Sabonis in Indy look great now playing w/o Westbrook. I thought these were good-for-nothing scrubs who couldn't play? That's why WB had to carry the team the whole season? Maybe the reason they looked terrible has something to do with Westbrook's style of play? Oh, that's just me being crazy.

#21 brewer's goat, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

LeBron can shape up anybody. Look at what he did to JR.
    Waiters and Beasley so far are the only exceptions lmao.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Morey was probably only faking interest to bring cp3 here and to suck presti into wasting his young talent for melo

BlastOff likes this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Don't forget to add Kanter into the mix.

Three ex-Westbrook teammates.

Three players who if they keep playing this way will all be vying for the MIP award.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No one on that OKC team has any idea as how to pass the ball properly. If that team doesn't click real soon, I expect him to go for sale. If he's cheap i might still take him over ryno.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't need to guess about anything.

He is on record saying he wants to play with Melo, and would take less money to do so.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I bought into this line of thinking for a while but decided it was probably a pipe dream. It isn't logical to assume "Olympic Melo" would have shown up in Houston.

The Olympics are an 8-game run preceded by some exhibitions where the one and only thing that matters is winning. Losing a game is a complete embarrassment. Because he's surrounded by great players, the mission is so narrow and the payoff is so huge and quick, it's not difficult for Melo suppress his instincts for a short period of time to win a gold medal.

Over the long 82, forget it. Sacrificing for the greater good is much more difficult when the payoff is 8 months later instead of 2 weeks. The ups and downs of the long journey would cause someone like Melo to question if he was doing the right thing. I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude or maturity to go against his nature for such a long time.

Think about it: He didn't have enough gumption to force a trade to the Rockets. When the tire met the road, this mental midget caved in to the Knicks, not the other way around. Even as someone who was not 100% on wanting him here, I was disgusted at his surrender.

OKC can have him.

8. amaru

amaru Member

Oh course not. But it shouldn’t have gotten to that point

9. Brown Juice

Brown Juice Member

I've always been thankful the trade didn't happen. Cheeseburger Melo is garbage.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I wish PJax had closed the deal 'back when', back when it likely would have been lopsidedly in favor of TheGoodGuys. But, things changed and the reported demands made DM the GM pass, something Melo may or may not ever be able to do himself.

11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I don't believe that. I actually think it helps our case to get lebron more not to have melo on a plus 20 mil dollar contract next year. Cp3 and harden and lebron is plenty of perimeter talent without melo taking shots.

@Tha_Dude called it. Still a ton more basketball left to be played but i think we are better off without melo. Especially if new york was asking for gordon + ariza

12. seeingred

seeingred Member

This is really well thought out. Hadn't thought of it that way.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Comeon Lars, you're better off gambling your savings away in Vegas.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. LETHALWEAPONMV

LETHALWEAPONMV New Member

I still think it could have worked but who knows

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're a simpleton.

The only way Melo was coming here was a straight swap for Anderson.
    Nobody was trading EGO, what NYK wanted was irrelevant, we weren't giving it.

So the possibility was Anderson out Melo in. Are we thankful that didn't happen? (it was close initially)

Don't take it down different paths please!

amaru and don grahamleone like this.
  16. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

lol the knicks went from asking for eric gordon( 6th man of the year) to kanter and doug mcdormett lol... they never wanted to send melo to houston

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The make or break for us getting Lebron is Carmelo Anthony? Carmelo Anthony? Come on man.

Upcoming UFA.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love me some Ryno, but I would have loved Melo as well. I wouldn't have loved giving away what New York wanted.

@brewer's goat .. you ain't lying man. With Dipo going 25 on .580 eFG and the 21 year old Sabonis going 13 and 11 in 26 minutes... I believe they won that trade.

#38 don grahamleone, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    dlite316 likes this.
  19. macan

macan Member

i would still take melo over ryno right now

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I prefer Ryno.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.