1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Smart Is Duncan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Almu, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Just heard that Tracy McGrady is signing with...

THE HEAT!!!!

For all the people who dissed Duncan, here is the perfect chance to apologize!

Developing champions? He made the wrong decision? Hes a moron? What an idiot, right?
    Hardly.

Now, my question is, how come if the Heat who have NO MONEY can sign Tracy, why couldn't the Rocks?

Read it and weep, boys!
    http://orlandosentinel.com/automagic/sports/2000-07-12/SPTCOMFLAC60T071200.html

How you like that? We fans don't know crap!

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited July 12, 2000).]

2. wink3

wink3 Member

First of all the Rocks cant come close to what the Heat are offering, they'e giving Anthony Carter and power forward P.J. Brown. That's why they cant get T-mac. Besides Rockets fans do know something(Gorditas for example). [​IMG]

------------------
    Casa ole! Fresh today!every DAY!OLE!!!

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont see what McGrady going to the Heat has to do with Duncan's decision. I am pretty sure DUncan didn't say to himself......."you know, I would really like to play with ORlando, but I dont think McGrady does and therefore dont think Hill and I will have much of a chance to compete. I better stay with San Antonio"

Hill and UDncan alone would have been VERY menacing, more so that SA's present roster in my opinion. As far as stupid or smart, money, loyalty, competition, and ability to win all come into play. I think UDncan wins either way if he signs a relatively short contract!

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

A famous author, I forget the name, wrote a great book titled Things Fall Apart. [​IMG]

According to previous reports Eddie Jones is more interested in Miami than in Orlando. This is starting to get too funny.

Chicago and Orlando with $20 Million dollars each are in hot pursuit of 'middle-tier players'. If Cuttino signs with Orlando ba-ha-ha, then Grant just swapped a 6'7" slasher that shoots in the low 40s for a 6'4 player that shoots in the low 40s.

Congratulations Mr. Hill. I'm sure the extra endorsements (i.e. the dunce cap) will make up for the losing.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Hill hasn't signed with Orlando yet. He is "leaning". Just like McGrady was.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I just hope he doesn't lean now towards the Spurs. I'd hate to see Walt beat up on a young guy like that. [​IMG]

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

7. ScreamingRocketJet

Grant Hill's agent is a Lawyer. Having spent a bit of time in the legal area personally, I think it's safe to say that he has the 'right' person next to him in case he decides not to sign with Orlando and needs some 'spin doctoring' put in place:)

I wonder if we will start to see some 'the Magic stated this and it can't be delivered' leaks over the next week or two.

Something...anything...that would allow Hill to change his mind with a trace of dignity remaining.

Personally, I'd say he'll honour his word to Orlando.

The great irony is that the Championship he covets so much...and the reason he is leaving in the first place, is starting to look to be just as far away as it ever was.

------------------

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Almu-
    I still think he made a mistake. Going to Orlando they could have had the backbone of Hill & Duncan, 2 great young superstars, playing in a weaker conference.
    Orlando is still not done, assuming Hill does sign there. They can still go after Eddie Jones or possibly even Mobley, someone to play ahead of Miller until he develops.

A better question is how do you determine if Duncan made a smart decision. My criteria is winning another championship with SA. IMO, if he went to Orlando with Hill they could probably make the finals 2-3 times in the next 6 years. Could they win a championship I don't know. But SA does have a tougher playoff schedule witht he Lakers and Portland.

Ideally I would have loved Duncan to go east, because without Duncan I feel we would have a better team then SA, assuming they couldn't sign a FA.

Also each time a big-time FA signs with his own team then Chicago & Orlando have to look further down the FA lists, and they could potentially weaken the Rockets by signing Mobley.

Then again Chicago may tank another season, get another lottery pick & go after next years FAs.

------------------

9. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I agree that Duncan did do the right thing in staying with San Antonio, but I still think Orlando is going to absolutely wreck shop with Hill. Look what coach Rivers already did without him- he took a relatively untalented team and had them finish .500. That's pretty damn impressive.

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... next year, at least. :(

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Achebe-
    You foget the name? HAHAHAHA. GOod one!

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!