1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How replaceable is Patrick Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agree. Plus, what about chemistry? We can't have all this player turnover and expect to have the necessary chemistry to go deep in the playoffs.

Bev is someone you want to go to battle with you. He has heart, passion, energy and is engaged all the time. Off nights? Sure. But he bounces back quickly and does not shy away from guarding the big names of the league.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Bev has never had a huge payday. He has to go to the highest bidder. This isn't Dirk, or Duncan who have already made a ton of money, and then gives the team a home town discount. I fully expect Bev to try to get as much money as he can. Who can blame him?

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Its easier for people to appreciate the offense.

Because its entertaining, eye candy, easier to read from stats.

Its a different story in defense.

Take JJ Watt's case, yeah he is special, you can read it from the stats, all the sacks, pass defense, force fumble, tackle for loss, ect.

However, the most important impact he had on the game is forcing the opponent to change their whole blocking scheme around him, and probably changing the play calling depends on how he lineup, and eventually need to constantly double or triple team him.

That's elite and that's his highest value at.

Not saying Bev or Dwight are on the level of JJ, but their efforts and influence on the Rox defense were not appreciated enough by most fans.

When Dwight is on the floor and at the middle, his presence will change the angle of the shoots whoever will go to the basket, or could just force them to make a pass instead of attempting a shot.

When Bev is on the floor defending like a pest, its hard for the opponents to go into their rhythm, so either they will dribble several seconds more or need to pass the ball more, that may not reflect on the stats directly but sure that's working.

4. SemisolidSnake

Beverly has on countless occasions made hustle plays he shouldn't be able to make that have either saved games, flipped momentum, stopped bleeding, or just shown the rest of the team what it looks like to play with FULL intensity. It's infectious; they play harder when he's doing all of that. Of course, he wouldn't need to do a lot of that if we always played hard and didn't get into dire situations so much.

That said, that's unfortunately a very unpredictable and unquantifiable role in a sport that only has five players on the court at a time. His energy level was very useful in his first couple of years for this team, but we're getting to a point where we need people who can expertly play the positions they're assigned. He's not a true point guard, which is why Harden runs the offense, and that puts too much work on James. I'm impressed how Pat's greatly increased his three point reliability, but if a big contract for him comes up, it's probably better to pursue a more traditional point guard. It pains me to say that, because I've been a huge Beverly fan since the beginning.

Now, if Beverly's intensity could rub off on Dwight, I'd keep him at any cost, but I'm not sure at this point if anything's going to accomplish that.

1 person likes this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

Exactly. Bev's contribution on defense, especially against the elite guards, changes the whole gameplan. Him picking up his man fullcourt almost every possession leads to all types of problems for other teams. Those type of things aren't measured on the stat sheet. Beverley is a difference maker whether it's him containing superstar pg's, or fighting for a key offensive rebound down the stretch of a must win game. He's fearless. He's the ONLY guy on our team who plays with the same energy regardless of what the circumstances are. Again, that's not something analytics can measure

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

He's replaceable but I want him on this team getting 24-30 minutes a night. Need a better option than Terry either backing him up or pushing him to the bench to optimize the position though. Someone from this list would fit well and may be attainable in February (for varying prices obviously):

1. G. Dragic
    2. J. Teague
    3. T. Lawson
    4. J. Jack
    5. G. Hill
    6. M Chalmers
    7. D. Collison
    8. R. Jackson
    9. MCW
    10. M. Williams
    11. J. Calderon

7. hakeemthagreat

All those guys are good players. The only one I'd maybe replace Bev with (that's a big maybe) is Lawson. If you're talking about adding with Bev, then all those guys are good candidates. However, I like Terry contribution thus far. I have zero complaints from Terry. He actually deserves more minutes

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I like Terry as a spot player rather than the full time backup PG. Terry as the 3rd PG (behind Beverly and hypothetical traded PG) and SG (behind Harden and Brewer) would be perfect.

9. SexyButIgnorant

Teams win championships with mediocre point guards all the time. Patrick Beverley is no superstar, but his defensive intensity is one of the best in the league. If we can find a back-up that can easily create for others when James isn't on, then that would be great.

But what the team really needs is for Dwight to be dominant (teams win with dominant big men) and actual shooters. Since Mchale wants to play stretch, we gotta find an actual shooting 4. Not fake ones like DMo or Smoove.

10. hakeemthagreat

We are talking defensively. Westbrook would have a field day with Dragic guarding him in a playoff series lol. I'd rather have a healthy Bev score 12pts w/ 4assist, while holding a pg like WB to 19pts (shooting 6-17) Than have Dragic score 17pts but WB go off for 35pt (shooting 15-25). Bev's defense is CRUCIAL to our playoff success in the West

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Which of these 11 players you will rate over :

CP3, Westbrook, Lillard, Curry, Parker, Conley, Rondo?

Zero.

That means the Rockets will still have the worse PG in the west playoff.

Which of these 11 players you will rate them have a better defense than Bev?

I don't see any.

So the real question will be, how much you think the Rockets will get better on offense while losing on defense, and additionally by paying more in this position to help this team to win in the playoff?

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Without Bev's offensive boards the other night, we would have lost by 15 or 20.

Not to mention that he played D. Rose about as well as you can play him.

We can win with Beverley, just as King James won with Mario Chalmers.

The Rockets can be a championship team if Ariza and Bev are hitting there open 3's.

Need a better second option that can get the ball.

13. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

How many of those teams have SGs better than Harden or centers better than Howard? It's not about getting the PG that is better than everyone in the West - we can't have the best player at every position - it's about either reducing the gap between our starting PG and the rest OR improving the backup position to where we have the best backup PG in the West so our bench can be better than the rest of the West.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ty Lawson is interesting. He definitely fits our style (3s, rim, FTs). He's due a lot of money over the next few years, which is why I've been skeptical of acquiring him. His FG% has also been on a downward trend since his rookie year.

09/10 - 52% FG, 41% 3
    10/11 - 50% FG, 40% 3
    11/12 - 49% FG, 37% 3
    12/13 - 46% FG, 37% 3
    13/14 - 43% FG, 36% 3
    14/15 - 43% FG, 33% 3

I tend to think "no", but if there are no other options and you can get him cheap, I might go for it.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

How much money you have paid Harden and Howard to have 2 of the best players in their position?

How & Why would you get Harden in the Rocket's uniform anyway?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ty Lawson

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9465207&postcount=20

17. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

What? Non-sequitur?

I'm saying we don't have to have the best PG in the West since we already have the best SG and C. So trading for a PG is not 'Chris Paul or bust'. This isn't NBA2K. It's about improving the playoff rotation.

Your statement implies that we should not make a trade if it does not give us a player that is better at said position than all of the Western Conference starters. I think we just need to focus on a current glaring weakness which is secondary playmaking (followed by 3P%).

18. Lightsnowaction

What are the chances that Patrick Beverley emerge his offense like Jimmy Butler did?
    Could just come out of nowhere like his 3 point shot.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

At this point in time, I don't think we are looking for a better "starting" PG, but a playmaker or 6th man to lead the charge when Harden sits. If we get say Dragic or a comparable PG to play off Harden, how will that affect our D? Will we stagger his minutes to play when Harden is sitting? Would said PG come off the bench and be OK with it? Either way, in Morey we trust!

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Its funny that you have mentioned : this isn't NBA2K.

You are so right.

This isn't NBA2K.

One of the reasons for the Rockets to have the best SG & C in the NBA is this : we pay more than most of the teams in these positions.

And that means : we have less budget left than most of the teams to spend on other positions.

Its not rocket science, its not that hard to understand.

So, you still want to "improve" this team by spending millions and even maybe over 10 mils to get those crappy players from your list?

whom may come here serving as a backup, while probably won't play in the crunch time in the 4th because of inferior defense, and btw,

we probably will lose some bench pieces and valuable picks also?