1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Much Would You Give Up to Play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 3, 2018.

?

How Much (in Million)?

1. 0

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. 2

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. 4

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. 6

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 10+

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess Anderson gave up 5 mil. Deng gave up 7.5mil. How much would you?

Lets assume you already have 30mil in the bank.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

It's a damn near impossible question to answer because no one here knows what it's like to have 30m in the bank.

If I did have 30m in the bank, and basketball was my absolute passion. I'd probably be content with 30m and give up any amount.

But again I dont know the struggles of having 30m and how important an extra 5-10m is

3. Dandy Chiggins

I would definitely sit on the Bench for a season like luol Deng, and get paid. Must be nice.

juanm34 and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

*zero*
    just like Chris Paul

hvic, juanm34, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As Clutch said, Anderson didn’t necessarily give up anything, certainly not the full $5.4m

He essentially agreed to a 2019 buyout of his last year, which in no way means he can’t sign another contract for 2019. He becomes a summer buyout free agent. He’d have to retire to lose all $5.4m.

If he is signed a minimum, he’d only lose $3m. If he signed Taxpayer MLE, he’d lose nothing.

—————————————

To answer the question, I’d go the Corey Brewer route and probably keep all my contract, and not bail out my owner, but I’d play with a true love for the game at ALL times, in practice, on the bench, helping rookies. Whatever. If I were a scrub with a big contract, winning isn’t everything, but I’d love the game no matter what you wanted me to do

Are you kidding? I’m playing a game. But no owner bail-outs, if I’m on Corey Brewer’s level.

If I were on Barkley level, breaking down with no chip, I’d give up anything, because I’ve been paid much more than the $30m in OP..,that’s a different percentage scenario wrt money, though. Melo isn’t a good comparison, because I was smart enough and good enough to get a stupid owner to grant me a No Trade clause, so I could still keep the money AND go where I want.

Chris Paul level is interesting. I would have given Rockets a discount to keep Ariza or Luc, but at same time, I am Prez of Union and need to stand for no Bail-Outs. I’m also at risk for the owner shipping me to a crap, tanking team on my last year, or if I get injured, so more incentive to maximize pay and control, when I can.

6. BackdoorHarden

I'll do a Melo and get my full $30 million or make them buy me out if I don't start.

Go Melo!

rockbox and amaru like this.
  7. StevieCrossover

I wouldnt give up anything. Worst comes to worst, i'd hit up 24 hour fitness and find some cats to ball up.

8. theimpossibles1

This poll really got me thinking...

I think we all ask ourselves this question on a daily basis. Such a poignant and relevant inquiry. Thanks OP.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to think for a minute I could afford to give up millions of dollars just to play basketball.

Voltik likes this.
  10. rockets13champs

90% of people not professionally playing for millionaires wouldn’t give up any money to not play basketball. When basketball is something you love to do and you already been making millions life tends to be different. Just my guess. It’s more about self enjoyment/ career than 7 million.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

i would do it for free because I'm bout dat lyfe.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Anderson has to concede, if he can't help a contending team, go to a worse team and tutor the young guys.

If he was 24 or 25 giving up money for playing time would work.

He is 30, except his shooting percentage he has little to offer. Not getting any younger.

He does not strike me as an exciting player or a guy who is very useful.

Would find better investment opportunities with 30 million.

#12 daywalker02, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If I had 30 million, I wouldn't give up much, maybe a million or two.

If I had the career earnings Ryno and Deng had, I would definitely give up 8-10 million to get a chance to play meaningful basketball again. Unless you are a complete f**king stooge money should never be an issue for either guy.

Anderson and Deng are getting s**t on constantly by their respective fanbases. As much as you want to tell yourself to tune that out, when you have had as much success in this sport as they have, that has to wear on you. At that financial level, the lost money is unlikely to have a meaningful impact on your life.

[​IMG]

14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Absolutely $0,
    Unless I was coming to play for the Rockets.
    Then I’d give up to $10mil depending on if Harden could get me a shoe deal.
    Adidas scrub vol. 1

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

a couple mil at most if I really want to get out of the current situation, and I’d make sure I’m recouping that money on whatever contract I sign after the buyout

most players are done by 40, and most aren’t Lebron with crazy off court money coming in...secure the bag #MeloMindset

16. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I work for cheap. Give me the vet minimum, and I'd play however much or little they want me to.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love sports. If I had the talent to contribute, I'd give almost all of the 30. Not quite, but close.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I gave up a significant amount of money(left a startup that got acquired) to not have to travel downtown to go to work and I don't even have zillions in the bank. I'd probably take a paycut to do something I wanted to do and live in a city I wanted to live in.

don grahamleone likes this.