1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much was Clint effected by illness ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jun 8, 2019.

?

Clint's illness an excuse ? / developmental outlook

1. It significantly effected his play vs GS

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. It somewhat effected his play vs GS

22 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. He sucked vs GS , don't blame the illness

50 vote(s)
    57.5%
  4. Clint has lots of room to develop

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  5. Clint has a little ceiling left

17 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Clint is a contract player and is done getting better

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is a simple question .

There's no question that Clint got outplayed SEVERLEY in the GS series and his lack of production and ability to turn decent looks into buckets really really hurt us .

But , in an effort to provide fuller context , he WAS coming off a pretty strong illness .

He didn't play particularly well vs the jazz after he got sick . And going up vs better athletes vs GS while your body is recovering isn't an easy task .

I wouldn't be being myself if I didn't get in an MDA jab , so what the hell was clint doing playing vs the jazz when we likely could have won without him ?

Anyways , to the question at hand .... how much of Clint's performance can be explained due to his illness ?

Is there reasonable expectations that he can play closer to his 17-18 playoff level in the future ? Will he develop further ?

I frame the thread in this way because Clint is central to our core (he's locked up ) . He's young .... ish . He's been discussed Ad-nauseum in trade ideas here . And finally, his value has probably never been lower haha.

Obviously , poll choices aren't inclusive . I'd prefer discussion

Gray_Jay, TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

His main issue was timidness

#2 LosPollosHermanos, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    BigShasta, hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

missing the Would you trade Clint for Thon Maker? option

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Like I said , choices are not fully inclusive haha .

Thin would definitely bring us a much more mature , aged perspective .

Something to consider , no doubt :)

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wouldn’t put it as a major reason for his trash play against GS at all

Draymond owned him

dress up as a donkey for Halloween if u want to scare Clint...I bet money he’d sh*t himself

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would probably vote for trading a sick and incapacitated Clint Capela for a Thong Maker

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I keep coming back to that 17-18 stat of what? .... like 30-2 with James , Clint and CP3 .... and it was like undefeated at one point .

To me , Clint and CP3 never fully got to their 17-18 form last season .

CP3 can be explained a bit by injury and decline .... and you hope (if your keep him) that you get a bit luckier with that next year .

Clint , I'm kind of confused on . He also missed a chunk of time due to injury and maybe that prevented him from getting his timing . Then you compound that with illness in the playoffs .

It's just a little jarring

If anyone asked you last season what our core is , with no hesitation you'd say "Clint , James and Chris "

The same question after this playoffs the answer is "James and PJ"

I understand that we are sour on CP3 due to his age ... but what happened to Clint lol ? (Not to mention we underrated PJ)

Did we all overrate him ? Or did he just get unlucky with a confluence of events that either sapped him of his form or prevented him from getting into a groove in the first place ? A bit of both ? Players should be expected to persevere and overcome no matter luck ?

I'm not sure where I stand on Clint . For are I'd be willing to move him for a 3rd star , but short of that .... was he not seen as our up-and-coming 3rd star last year .

Where has his development gone ? Where will it go ?

Perhaps this should have been my OP , but I think the illness is an interesting question that would shade my feelings one way or the other .

val_modus and RayRay10 like this.
  8. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Thank you, OP, for the multi-select.

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. basketballholic

His sickness did not affect his three- point shooting.

(Thank you very much.)

hakeem94, Stormy1234 and topfive like this.
  10. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Kid needed to grow up. Instead, he whiffed on that opportunity given the biggest stage. Can't talk big and have only one good game in that GSW series. It's not like he was going up against Boogie or anything.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Holic made me laugh!

Seriously, it seems like it always takes Clint a little while to get back to game speed/strength after he's been out, and even though he played through this respiratory thing, I'm not sure how much his conditioning was affected by it. Sure, his performance was definitely affected by the Warriors' offensive and defensive schemes, but it absolutely seemed like it was more than JUST that.

#11 topfive, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the difference imo was the increase in minutes. he was a lot less effective defensively with the greater load

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Could also be a size thing .

I know he probably put on a few pounds . I wonder if that extra weight limited his quickness or effected his timing .

He was not as good ... and I don't know why. Both the regular season and postseason . But the main thing is that in 17-18 he took it up a notch in the playoffs .

This last year , he did not . I wonder how much the illness is to blame .

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

against UTA the illness was likely a factor. against GS his p***y mentality probably more so, ie. with GS shutting down our PnR lobs he morphed back into sad capela

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I hope it's not that he's a p***y

He outworked and outhuslted 2 all-NBA centers last playoffs .

I think he either doesn't have ability to execute plays like Nene , where he gets the ball 10 feet out , take a couple of dribbles , turn your back to the basket and make a move and score . Or he doesn't have the confidence to do it .

Either way , the lob isn't always going to be open . If he's not a defensive monster like he was vs Utah then he's got to find other ways to score

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

other than the occasional putback, he has to be spoonfed for the bulk of his points by harden/paul. he can't dribble, can't post up, can't shoot from past 4ft, and has horrible court vision if he gets trapped with the ball. contrast his skillset with siakam and it's NIGHT AND DAY. regarding his mentality, all that needs to be said is whenever matched up against a bigger guy he simply does not compete. time and time again he just gives up like a b****. maybe he just got really lucky going against non-heavyweights KAT/gobert right before his contract talks

BaselineFade and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Tbh i'm more in the "he sucked" camp even if i am a fan of the guy, but it's also true that the virus he had wasn't exactly a joke, and i/we don't really know how much it takes to fully recover from that, how much that affected him.

Regardless, i think he doesn't have much upside left, maybe a little bit. I just hope we don't trade him unless it's needed to make a substantial upgrade, also cause with the luck the Rockets have, i can already see him traded and suddenly develop a 3pt shot.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've actually seen him attempt 12ft jumpers in warmups and it is not a pretty sight. i mean he's not even close most of the time. he could improve most imo by simply learning to box out

Gray_Jay and Vivi like this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i'm not exactly expecting that, even though you never know, Dedmon always had stone hands and couldn't buy a basket to save his life unless it was a dunk in all his career, suddenly when he turned 29 he started knocking down 3pt shots at 38%...but, yeah, it's definitely unlikely.

snowconeman22 and pippendagimp like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I could not have been more disappointed in Capela in that GSW series. He got mentally shook. It is one thing to have problems with Draymond, but when Looney out plays you, that's another thing.

I appreciate what Capela brings to the table for this team, and when he is great he adds a lot, but this team at this stage can't afford to be hampered by Capela being shook. He is the 3rd highest paid player on the team.

Resources could be better allocated.