1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer are we going to pretend Clint Capela is a Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At 22? Seriously?
    He will not improve from 22 until his career is over?

Rocket River

varughese.arun, Fyreball and dharocks like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

capella is far from being a finished product. he still has a ton of room for growth and get better

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Just compare him today to what he was like in his rookie season. He couldn't even catch alley-oops for dunks back then. And he was a disaster from the foul line until late in the regular season. And even then he was at best a 50% shooter. He just nailed 8 for 10 the other night when Memphis went to Hack-a-Pela. And his finishing ability around the basket is 100 times better than it was his rookie year.

If he can make that much progress in less than 2 years' worth of playing time(remember, he barely saw the court in the NBA during his rookie year), imagine how good he'll be in another 2 years.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Yeah, it's insane how people around here under-sell Clint's potential.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

@PhiSlammaJamma It's UNBELIEVABLy short-sighted to say a 22 year old kid has reached his peak. This is his first season where he's the stalwart at the center position, and he's handled it amazingly. If anything, based on what I've seen out of him this year in terms of attitude and work ethic, I think we're in store for another massive leap from him over the next 2 years. I mean, even just within this season, you can see how much his confidence has grown. He is not "what he is" at this point.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't see it. Serious.

In his last 10 games he's getting 14 ppg/8 reb/1 asst/1 blk.... and 64% FG/54% FT.

Check in with me in 5 years. If he's made the all star team or improved on any of those stats I will give some street cred. Even a slight improvement would get him to the all star game. Experience will allow him to improve incrementally, but no major or massive jumps in his future. And that is ok. We aren't demanding it of him. And he's not feeling any team pressure to improve his range, since we don't take anything outside the paint, so if he does, the pressure and incentives will be self willed.

On offense:
    He's added a little ineffective jump hook but has shown little to no post moves or jumper. Don't see him improving in those areas and don't see the offense encouraging it. If you don't get to try in the game what does it matter. Already goes over both shoulders well, but no finish like say Carl Herrera. He's going to be a starter, but a role player in this system, so limited touches. He's an alley oop monster already and had that from the get go. Only difference is now he gets more minutes and understands the offense. He doesn't turn the ball over which is good so he can only get worse there when he starts trying to be a passer. And he's not earning FT because he has no moves to respect nor post touches.

On Defense: He would be hard pressed to average more than 8 rebounds. When it comes to blocks you either have it or you don't by now. He doesn't look like a steals guy. Positioning and understanding of offenses may improve. Could be better at denial. He doesn't foul which is impressive, but never really has. Could get even stronger but don't think it will matter much.

Intangibles: No real leadership or need for leadership. Already proved he can play in the playoffs at this level. So he's not going to shrink. Starting to show some hunger and beating his chest, could improve a lot here, but will need to come out of shell.

But I do hope he becomes an All Star.

#226 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017