1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much do each of our players deserve in Salary?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pradaxpimp, Aug 4, 2003.

1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

What do you really think each player deserves? Be fair. (all yearly salaries)

Steve=9 mil
    No D, No Playoffs, No running the offense efficiently means no Max player, but does everything else nicely.

Yao=5 mil.
    Decent rookie stats, but Not a Max player just yet. 5 mil seems fair

Cat=7.5 mil
    Instant Offense, Instant Iso(h). Nice D sporadically. Very capable scorer

Cato=2.5 mil
    No Offense, Decent Defense. Kind of an enforcer, Nothing more

Taylor= 3.5 mil
    Instant Offense, nothing much more. No D, No rebounding,

Griffin=2.0
    Great Offense, Horrible shot, Nice Rebounding, Nice Blocking thats about it

Rice=1.5 mil
    3pt shooter and absolutely nothing else

Boki=1.5 mil
    Hasn't done anything, but never give the chance to do anything

Moochie= -1.5 mil
    Does much more harm than any good.

This equates to 32 mil (w/o moochie paying us to play). This gives us enough space, to sign one superstar and a few role players.

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Good thread even though you mostly post ****e!

Yao - 7 mill a year until he averages 25 a game.

SF - 7 Mill a year

CM - 3 Mill a year

EG- 2 mill a year until he is a supastar

Mo - 1 Mill a year

KC - 1 Mill a year

Mooch - let go

Rice - Gone let a while ago yo!

3. pradaxpimp

Thanks man, I think

4. Just B

Just B Member

I don't think Yao deserves the same amount as Steve yet. Maybe in a couple years though.

As for the rest of them, I pretty much agree with the salaries Pradaxpimp gave.

5. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I agree with most of the salaries; just a few details:

Cato should get 3.5 and MoT should get 2.5; finding a good C to backup Yao is harder to find than a PF. It is much harder to find a hardnosed rebounder like Cato than a pansy PF who can't rebound but can score.

I'd give Yao around 6 mil, just to keep him interested in staying in Houston.

Griffin, for all his potential, I'd give 1.5 mil, like Boki, just to see if he's willing to play for the money. Maybe load his contract with playing incentives...I wish...

Other than that, I agree with your post.

6. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I just want all those cat haters to remember that is less than he actually makes. Making him valuable.... thusly... so shutly uply....

7. Just B

Just B Member

Yao doesn't seem like the type that would pull the "pay me more or I'm leaving" act on the team. He's better than that. But I see what you're saying!;)

8. SLA

SLA Member

Steve Francis. Franchise player. One of the Top 5 point guards in the NBA. Baron Davis is making same amount....so is Damon Stoudamire. Yeah..........well actually...I think all NBA players are overpaid! :) We had to give him max...or he would probably leave.
    Yao Ming......well he has a set salary. But he deserves about 6 million.
    Mobley....deserves about 6.75 million for everything that he does.
    Griffin....deserves what he's making now....like 2 million.
    Taylor......deserves about 4 million.
    Cato deserves about 0.5 million.
    Moochie deserves 0.5 million.
    Hawkins deserves 0.5 million.
    Badiane deserves 0.5 million.
    Piatkowski deserves what we gave him.
    Rice deserves 2.75 million.
    Nachbar deserves 0.5 million for doing nothing at all.

You're right......Moochie shouldn't even be in the NBA! But he is....and he's rich.....

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Maybe the Rockets want Griffin to suck so they won't have to fork over the big bucks for a few years. :D

10. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Actually we better set the benchmark first. For example who are the players deserves the maximum salaries.

Allan huston and Tim duncan are earning MAX. If AH is the benchmark, then SF also deserves max. I would agree SF worths 9M if Duncan is the benchmark.

I'm also confused that Brad Miller earns a HUGE contract while Kandi earns MLE. I just dont know how to rate Yao's salary.

11. pradaxpimp

Its not about benchmarks. It's abou whether or not the player is good enough

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why in God's Green Earth does Moochie deserve 1.5 Mill? He should be paying the Rockets for keeping his no-good ass on the roster.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With you cheap-skates running the team, the whole roster would abandon us. Paying Francis less than the max is ridiculous. He would have found a half-dozen teams offering a max deal if we didn't pony the money up in the beginning.

And paying Cato $2.5 million (or $0.5 million) is crazy. As unproductive as he's been in the past, he's an athletic center and centers just don't come that cheap. If a center shows any talent at all, he jumps straight from the minimum to at least $5 million. If you'd rather Cato walk than pay him that much, you'll have to be content having Voskuhl backing up Yao, or play a power forward out of position.

14. SLA

SLA Member

lol...he put - 1.5 million. :) I suppose that means NEGATIVE one and a half million. So you both agree about Mooch. :)

15. PhiSlammaJamma

The sign reads: Up to 50% off during the regular season.

16. Sane

Sane Member

Francis 10M
    Yao 10M
    Mobley 6.5M
    Griffin 4M
    Healthy MoT 6.5M
    Cato 4M
    Rice 3M
    Boki 0.5M
    Posey 4.9M (That's right)
    Pike 3M
    Moochie 1M

That's about 54M, which is magically JUST below luxury tax isn't it? Honestly, that's how it worked out on it's own, hehe. I'm not even sure that's the luxury tax threshold, is it?

I think Francis and Yao BOTH deserve slightly less than the MAX on their current deals. I think the MAX is like 12M, isn't it? Posey is worth the 4.9M easily, which is below Cat and Mo by a notch. Cato earns 4M doing what he does off the bench, grabbing 8+ rebounds off the bench when given decent time. Our shooters can't do much of anything else, so they each deserve 3M. I like it, I wish it were like this, thenw e could keep Posey.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Donald Sterling - is that you? :)

18. negitoro

negitoro Member

I do understand that there's a sense of NBA players being overpaid but still, what a player 'deserves' is really based entirely on the relative salaries of the NBA economy. I really think most of you are far undervaluing the amount the Rockets' players are worth.

Really I agree with Sane more than anything else.

1st tier
    Francis deserves just under max. He's currently in a 6yr/85 or so right ? So I guess he's worth 12 million.
    Yao isn't a max player (yet but is worth 8-10 mill alone in potential. If he continues to progress he'll be a max by the end of his rookie contract.

2nd tier
    Mobley is a 6-7 mil player just for being offensively competent. Posey should be slightly under Mobley. 5-6 million.
    Griffin and Taylor should be worth just under the 4.5 exemption right now.
    Cato is easily worth the midlevel (4.5), especially in an league as starved for big men as the NBA is.

3rd tier
    Piatkowski should be getting around 3 million as a 3pt gunner off the bench... essentially the role that Rice really has right now.
    Rice is getting up there in age and isn't as consistent as he once was. I do think he should be getting somewhere in the 2 million range.
    Moochie deserves at least 2-3 million. Even if most of you don't agree I do believe he is a competent backup PG, better than the likes of Kevin Ollie or Anthony Carter.
    Most of the rest, who don't come off the bench much, should all get around 1 - 1.2 million range, slightly more than the minimum.

19. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

aside from Ming and possibly Mobley, every player in the rotation INCLUDING FRANCIS is overpaid.

Where would I slot each player (as of today):

Ming- Rookie contract, but his value is about $7 million

Francis- $7 million

Mobley- Does some things that makes his contract seem like a good value, but 1) that is b/c salaries are inflated and 2) he also has a lot of room to improve. If I were the GM, I would let him walk if he did not sign for $4 million

Cato- $3 million, have to pay for size

Taylor- $1.5 million, only for his scoring ability, other htan that he does NOTHING that you look for from a PF. No D, no rebounds, no shot blocking... nothting

Griffin- Rookie contract, was drafted high due to potential, and I think he still has it. On the open market he would be lucky to get $4 million

Rice- Worth about as much as Shandon Anderson, but not what Shandon is making. $1-2 million

Moochie- He should not be on the team. That type of plaer can be found as an undrafted free agent, in the CBA/NBADL, or off the street every year :eek: :eek: that is just how we discovered him!!!! There should NEVER be a long term commmitment to a player like that. We could have had Damon Jones or any number of players just like him for 1/2 million or so.

As a matter of fact, we did have him and it was for that amount, but then Moochie sat down to negotiate and presented Rudy & CD with the pictures of the menage e twa with the two of them and the farm animal. We are now stuck with a no good, over paid backup PG whose claim to fame is being one of the most talked about subjects on CC.net.

Do you miss Rudy, or do you wish CD would have been shown the door as well?

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As JuanValdez stated, some you people have no clue. You may not like Francis, and I can understand that, but most EXPERTS consider him one of the top 10 to 15 players in the league, therefore he is a max contract player. Get over it. Cato, same reasoning, an athletic center, even though he may be lazy is going to get at least $5MM a year so he may be overpaid but not by much.

The only truly overpaid players on the team as far as their value to the rest of the league are MoTalyor, even though $1.5MM is almost as ridiculous as Francis only deserving $7MM, and Rice, who is only overvalued because he never plays. Oh yeah, and of course Moochie.