1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Many Shots are Available to the Rockets Starting Power Forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

This post is intended to be instructional as to how to use arithmetic and information readily available from the web to arrive at revealing new insights into the NBA.

Today I took a look at how many shots were available this season for the power forward position. Unfortunately I was egged on by a continuing barrage of posters advocating for LMA, who, IMHO would be about the worst dollar for dollar addition to the Rockets short of Stoudamire. (3)

To calculate how many shots are available for the power forward we need the following information:

• The average number of shots the Rockets attempted per minute last season.
      The number of shots the Rockets (probable) starters took last season.
      An estimate of the number of minutes the Rockets starters will have this season.
    All of the information is readily available from the web. This analysis only uses arithmetic.

So I retrieved the total number of the Rockets FGA per game from stats.nba.com. 82.5 shots per game for the Rockets (1). This is a middle of the pack number. Simple arithmetic says that the Rockets will have ~1.72 shots per minute next season (82.5 shots per game divided by 48 minutes per game). So then I looked at the Rockets top four players to find out how many shots per game they used last season:

Dwight Howard 9.91
    Jeremy Lin 10.94
    Chandler Parsons 11.45
    James Harden 16.30

Next I need to know how many shots per minute those four players need. Therefore I need the number of minutes they are going to play. I am going to approximate that number as 33 minutes per game. As a group the margin of error is most probably under 5% for that number. Barring injury it should be fairly accurate.

So, add them all up and divide by 33 and we arrive at the conclusion that the four (almost) sure starters will take 1.47 shots per minute. The arithmetic then is 1.72 (available shots per minute) - 1.47 (shots per minute by Howard, Harden, Lin and Parsons) = 0.25 (shots per minute for the power forward). If we multiply that by 33 minutes (the amount of time Howard, Harden, Lin and Parsons will average as a group per game) we get 8.15 shots available to the power forward.

To sum it up the PF may have 8.15 available shots per game. However this does not take into consideration Howard who will likely eat up 3 of those shots. Do not expect him to only get less than 10 shots a game like last season. In the 2011-2012 season Howard got 13.4 shots per game. Taking Howard into consideration the power forward position will only have 5.15 shots per game next season.

The Rockets PF position only gets 5-6 shots per game when playing with the starters. Otherwise he will be taking shots away from Howard, Harden, Parsons and Lin. How can that be good?

(1) One might leap to the conclusion that more FGA per game is a good thing. Actually the exact opposite occurs. Only 1 out of the top 8 teams in FGA per game made it to the playoffs. The bottom 4 FGA per game teams made it to the playoffs, led by the Heat with only 77.2. I will leave the why up to the readers. (2)

(2) This leads to the interesting conundrum that, with the addition of Howard, I expect the Rockets total shots per game to drop next season.

(3) LMA is really good at the worst shot in basketball, the mid-ranged shot. From beyond the rim LMA averaged 0.25 points per shot less than the Rockets team from beyond the arc. This is one of the most basic tenants of advanced stats, and Morey has made it his mission to drive mid-ranged jump shots down as low as possible. Please see
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=243116
    for more information.

Notes:

The only source for information used in this post was stats.nba.com.

There is absolutely no power forward in the league short of Love and LBJ that averages more points per shot than any of Howard, Harden, Lin and Parsons.

It would have been more accurate if I had used the actual player minutes from last season.

I have calculated the cumulative error of each of the above steps. It is within +/- 1.4 shots a game for the power forward.

Some of the paragraphs of this post would be better served with a "show spoiler". How do I include it? Thanks.

#1 jtr, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Nice read! exactly my thoughts!

3. Reach

Reach Member

Good work OP, but does this "shots" metric include foul shots? I feel like that is a significant chunk of offense for most teams.

4. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Word. We need as many mediocre PF's as possible.

A strong reminder that Christian Laettner was the ONLY reason the dream team won the gold medal. Weak sauce like Karl Malone and Charles Barkley damn near sank the team.

I always knew the dream team would've been a lot better with frank brickowski too. Awesome post, man.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

No it does not. I looked at including it, but I wanted to keep the post as direct and simple as possible. I may have been wrong with that decision.

6. Reach

Reach Member

1) The free throw is the most efficient shot in the game by a wide margin. The best offensive teams shoot lots of free throws, and therefore tend to be the teams with the lowest amount of Field Goals and FGA's.

2) Howard may very well bring down our FGA's, but that's because he'll be getting fouled a hell of alot more than Asik was last season. He SHOULD however give us extra possessions through his rebounding. blocks, etc. which will lead to more shots/free throws. Good defense = more points; a concept which is unfortunately not widely understood.

3) LMA performs poorly on pretty much every single 'advanced stat' with the exception of PER (which heavily rewards volume shooting). He defends poorly (he has poor mobility), doesn't rebound well, and scores inefficiently. Unless Morey gets fired, we will never see him on this team.

7. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

And Royce White. Luis Scola. Mediocrity puts the rockets over the top.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thank you. An expensive great power forward would not hurt the Rockets, but it falls under the category of diminishing returns. How could the Rockets possibly justify spending ~$13M on Love when he would have so few shots available without taking them away from players just as productive as him?

9. Reach

Reach Member

Well I agree with your overall point regardless. Any power forward in the starting lineup really shouldn't be getting tons of shots, since we already have 4 other players who can shoot efficiently and make plays. Ideally our starting PF would do other things at a high level, e.g. rebounding, team defense, passing etc.. A ball stopper like LMA who doesn't do anything very well besides put up shots would be a poor fit.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I believe that the reason Howard decreases the Rockets FGA per game is that he is unbelievably efficient. If you look at OKC and MIA they have the lowest FGA per game because they have the highest FG% in the league. An unexpected piece of information from a basic study. I love it.

11. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Hence the guy the Rockets need is someone that draws the defense out of the key, without actually needing to shoot that 3 pt shot a lot, and defends capably, and has moves that counter the 3pt shot, ie being able to slip in back door for a finish etc.

And most importantly, that PF should be cheap. So it allows us to re-sign Parsons, and perhaps even Lin and/or a comparable player to Asik when Asik is either traded or allowed to leave in free agency. Ie we're better off finding a way to replace what Asik brings to the table, then to try to lure a LaMarcus Aldrige that commands a max contract.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Words of wisdom. I could not have stated that as well as you did.

13. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

Well done, man. Any players you think would fit good at the 4 spot?

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Let's see how the committee of our PFs Asik, TJ, DMo, GSmith, Casspi and Parsons do this year. I have a feeling they'll be more than adequate.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I find it immensely interesting that the Rockets have four players who could be all stars. Howard and Harden, if healthy are shoe ins. We all expect them to be the best at their position in the NBA for years to come.

Lin makes the all-star team as an alternate if he shoots 38% from beyond the arc, subtracts 1 turnover a game and adds 2 assists per game. Howard and a summers work may get him there.

Parsons only needs to add 15% to all of his positive stats to get to the all-star game. 17.7 PPG, 6.4 RPG and 4 dimes per game. OK, if he does that he has a decent chance.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Honestly if I had a pick, on a dollar for dollar analysis I would choose Ersan Ilyasova. Otherwise, I am good with our current power forwards. Except possibly Smith. I think Asik brings more to the table for 7 or so minutes a game. But this question is so up in the air that until we see Howard and Asik/Smith combo that I will not hazard a prediction.

17. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Mark maddog Madsen. He led the lakers to multiple rings.

18. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Howard and Harden are superstars. Lin and Parson are stars in the making, who will need time on the floor and shots. All our starting power forward will need do this year is to move well without the ball, space the floor, make quick, sharp passes, and hit one or two shots from the perimeter. Because DMo does all these things so well, even we he has a sucky game he still makes everyone else in that starting unit better. Of course it will be bonus when DMo starts hitting those threes and fouling less (which he will; right now he's still a nervous 22 year old; other nervous 22 year olds include Robert Covington and Isaiah Canaan).

Let TJones be the sixth man off the bench. He can lead, offensively, the second unit. Jones' offense is primarily one on one and he doesn't move all the well without the ball; also he's a slow decision maker and uninventive passer. But man can he score! Let TJones beast it with the second unit. Players work to their strengths not their weaknesses, everyone's happy, and the team wins.

19. jdjd

jdjd Member

That's all well and good, but you forget about the most important factor in this all is INJURIES. If any of our starters go down then the shots are distributed differently. You bring in LMA if at all possible because if Howard goes down with a back injury or something, you still have an all star presence in the post. That will get the all star foul calls and command the double team. I tend to lean toward getting as much talent as possible.

20. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

Not a statistical response but I think having better players at each position definitely is a good thing.

Preferably you want a defensive scrapper who could supply a mid range jumper but in the perfect world you could have both.

Having better players on the court leads to easier shots for everyone. Everyone may get less shots but they will all get better looks.

Before they had to decide whether to pass to a scrub or take a bad shot themselves now everyone is a threat making the team more efficient.