1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many real Rocket Fans are in here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dskillz, Nov 4, 2002.

1. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I have been coming to this board for years. I lost my username and had to re-up this off-season. I came here during the hard times of last year, went to the boring games last season and was as frustrated as anyone else with the product as a whole.

This year, after the first game, I read all these "Trade Stevie!", "Yao is a bust", "Fire Rudy", etc. threads because the Rockets lost to the Pacers with 3 players out. Then we win an ugly game in Denver, and instead of people happy we won a game, I see more "This offense sucks" and "Fire Rudy" threads. Then Saturday we beat the stuffing out of Toronto, Yao has a coming out party, the offense looks great and then I see "KT Sucks" threads. It was his first freaking game back, without any practice. But because he didn't pass it to Yao during garbage time, KT gets trashed in here.

During the preseason during a game chat, someone said that he was worried about the board because of alot of bandwagon jumpers coming into the board. I didn't know what he meant, but now I do. People will not give the Rockets a break, at all. The Rockets could have a perfect game and I could come in here the next day and fine 25 threads talking about how bad Rudy T's tie looked bad.

All I am saying is, you can say what you want. But it appears that many people are looking for things wrong with the team and totally ignoring the good happening. It appears many want the Rockets to fail and would love it if the Rockets went 2-80 this season.

I am venting and ranting, but damn. This is getting on my nerves. Can we have some fans please stand up?! I actually like to discuss the positives of the season sometimes.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't really think it's so much a problem with bandwagon fans as it is a problem with fans having high expectations. After probably one of the most exciting offseasons in Rockets history people have built up a lofty expectation of what they want to see on the court. I have to admit I am one of those fans and after the Denver game I was extremely disappointed with the ugly play. There was some obvious improvement in the Toronto game and as long as the Rockets can continue to show improvment fans should ease up a little.

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Sorry, but I'm a die-hard fan. But I can't be a homer.

No way, no how.

Also, not all peole were bashing Yao. In fact, I didnt' see much
    of that. Even from ESPN.

We did have a few trolls from NY and Utah. But other than that,
    most people know that Yao just needs time.

As far as Steve, Mobley, and Cato. Those guys are always targets
    of bashing because for one reason, one of them is the "leader."
    And the other thinks he's the "leader."

Cato on the other hand has shown improvemnt. He just needs to keep
    it going; or the bashing will continue.

#3 DavidS, Nov 4, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2002
  4. "da Jet"

"da Jet" Member

I also am a die-hard rocks fan, that has not missed a game in years!

5. Susan

Susan Contributing Member

I am a die-hard fan and have been going to the Rockets games for years -- good ones and bad ones. My own opinion is that you certainly can make critical judgments as a fan -- for me the key difference is, if you are a fan of the team, you should make such statements from the standpoint of being part of the same team. Not a destructive influence. Critical but intelligent judgments are one thing but . . .

6. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I am a die-hard Rockets fan that lives in Philly. I go to see us play almost everytime we play in the northen part of the East Coast. I watch every single game on League Pass, chat about them constantly on this board, and scream like mad when we play. :)

7. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I cant agree more....What i dont agree with is the contention that new members to this forum are somehow lesser Rocket fans than others. The folks that post the stuff you speak of are fairly small in number...They post in every basher thread.. but they arent nessesarily newbies,,if they were they would be crucified,,there is probably only 10 = 15 folks doing all the trashing,,,they just do a lot of posting,........

8. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I disagree. There a ton of Steve bashers and fans that think that we suck.

9. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Pessimism DOES NOT = bandwagonism

Just look at Red Sox or Cub fans. They are the ultimate fatalists but they still love their team. As do most people here. While I agree that there is a fine line between bemoaning a poor performance and ceaselessly ragging on Steve and Cuttino, most of it is the former and not the latter.

But I do wish the stevie and tino bashers would stop. Collier, however, is another story...........

#9 mav3434, Nov 4, 2002
  10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am an "old-timer" Rockets fan, but discovered this board a year or so ago. I used to live in Houston and attended games in person. Now, I have to catch them when I can. It is getter harder. I have been through the Rudy years, the Hayes years, the Moses years, the Hakeem years, etc. Compared to those years, last year was the most frustrating in Rockets history. Not even in little dribblers have I seen such stupid basketball. Any flashback to last year sends me and many other fans into orbit (Rocket pun). Please forgive us if we annoy you.

I have beaten up my TV watching Frances, the most talented dysfunctional player in memory. He is the agony and the ecstasy. I don't understand him. I want to love him, I really do. There are signs of improvement. I am so hopeful, but this team still has a long, long way to go. When we "break through," no one will be happier than the critics like me. Remember, critics are really fantasy coaches, gm's, and owners. It is fun to think you are smarter than the real professionals (just because we have played basketball). For many of us the board is entertainment, therapy, but, above all, fantasy.;)

11. Greg M

Greg M Member

I only registered when the Rockets drafted Ming.

12. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Good to see the responses. I had my flame suit ready to go. I am glad peolpe see where I was coming from. Criticism is fine, but I the more I look, you guys are right. It is just a few very vocal people who I am percieving as overly negative.

The Toronto game really showed some improvement. Cato's play has been a great surprise and it appears that Francis is really stepping into the leadership role well. He is actually playing like the superstar we all knew he could be. He still does take some ill-advised shots, but those shots are alot fewer than last year. I really don't Yao to really get going until next season, but I think we will see some marked improvement by the All-Star break.

I am glad that we do have some "half-full" fans out there. Not shills for the team, but people that don't look for negatives without seeing the positives.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think each and every poster on this board falls into one of the following categories:

Die-hard Rockets fan who is miopic with homer like tendencies

Die-hard Rockets fan who is objective and will praise as well as critize the team and its players

Bandwagon Rockets fans who have make statements like "Steve Sux" and what not.

I think there is a place for this board for all of them. Thats what makes some of the discussion on here so great!!!! It would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.

14. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I saw Moses Malone & Calvin Murphy play here @ The Ditchfield Coliseum (Clevesuck) in 1977. I was 9.

Have supported the Rox ever since. Game 7 VS. The Knicks was the bestest night of my otherwise sorry ass sports life.

See, even though I be a Yank from Kent Ohio, I like all Houston teams. 'Cept for the Texans ... I went to Tennesee with the Titans. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I dread that I put that quarter into that machine, & received a blue Houston Oiler plastic football helmet when I was 5.

"Daddy, who is this???" "Oh that's the Houston Oilers ... they went 1-13 this year, hahaha"

I didn't care. I've never strayed. HOUSTON rules. I was only there for 15 minutes once ... en route to Venice Beach for Spring break, but at least I was there.

I hate Clevesuck. Hate everything about these teams up here.

Sorry ... I'll shut up now. But hey man, you asked. I'm a REAL Rockets fan.

15. DavidS

One note about Mobley "bashing"...

He was the 41nd pick in the draft in 1998, right? He was a steal, yes?
    He proved he could be a big time player...Maybe someday he'll make the All-Stars.

But, with all this stardom, comes responsibility and accountability.
    Just because he's known around the league doesn't mean he's
    made it to *Easy Street* (no criticism). In fact, it's harder now.

He's going to be held to a higher standard .

What's that phrase?

"IF YOU CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH"

So, Mobley, do you still want to be a star? Prove you deserve that mantle.

#15 DavidS, Nov 4, 2002
  16. DavidS

Yao Ming was drafted in 1999?

:confused:

17. Greg M

Greg M Member

:p

18. DavidS

Damn! I got played!!! :D