1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many points will the starting guards average?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Sep 11, 2012.

?

How many points will the starting backcourt average?

1. <30 ppg

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. >30 ppg but < 35 ppg

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. >35 ppg but <40 ppg

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  4. >40 ppg

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Martin and Lin aren't known for defense, but in all honesty I would rather have a weak backcourt than a weak frontcourt. I think the Rockets will be fine defensively at the F and C spots with Parsons, Jones/White and Asik. Based off their recent performances they average a combined 4.9 blocks per game. How that will translate to a full NBA season and how effective they will be together defensively we can save for another discussion.

How many points will Jeremy Lin and Kevin Martin average together? I'm not mentioning Lamb because it's Martins contract year and it's best for the team both on and off the floor to start Martin. I can see Lamb taking over if Martin is traded, but that's a pretty big if. If the Rockets are hovering around the 8th seed I see Morey being reluctant to trading Martin just to get whatever he can for him.

Last season, Jeremy Lin averaged 14.6 ppg in 35 games (25 starts) and Kevin Martin averaged 17.1 ppg in all 40 games he started in. McHale and Morey said they want the Rockets to run the floor and score more on the break. Their transition games are great for a fast paced offense. Martin's ability to knock down the transition 3 pointer and Lin's ability to penetrate the paint compliment each other well.

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Assuming Lin gets 35 mpg, and Martin starts...

Lin: 16ppg
    Martin: 19ppg
    Lamb: 11ppg

Assuming Lamb starts...

Lin: 18ppg
    Lamb: 15ppg
    Martin: 12ppg

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

4. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I think the Rockets should score around 99.0 PPG this year. Our D should be good enough to keep opponents below 97.0 PPG. Last year we were 98.1(O) & 97.9(D). I really wouldn't be surprised if we made the 1st round of the playoffs.

Here's my estimates:

1. Lin 17.0 PPG
    2. Martin 17.0 PPG
    3. Parsons 12.0 PPG
    4. Ppat 13.0 PPG
    5. Asik 8.0 PPG

Bench: 32.0 PPG

= 99.0 PPG

I'd show you my secret statistical method of deriving this info, but then I'd have to....................................admit that it's pure guesswork.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I actually think Martin's pg will go down with Lin as the PG. Martin needs a complicated offense that allows him to fight through screens and a point guard who gives him the ball right when he gets to his spot.

With that said, if it's Lin/Martin I say 15/17. If it's Lin/Lamb I say 16/14. If it's Machado/Martin I say 8/22. If it's Machado/Lamb I say 8/16. Either way I'm predicting 30-40 ppg