1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many of you would....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake, Apr 24, 2000.

1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Trade Mobley and the number 9 pick for Brian Grant?

Forget Salary cap implications or the Blazer lack of need for a shooting guard

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Pass. That is two potentially very talented young players for one solid if not always spectacular and injury-prone power forward. That's a tad bit too risky for me. I'd prefer the Rockets hang on to that lottery pick.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I wouldn't do that at all. I know Brian Grant has been a little better as of late, but he is nothing special. He has little of an offensive game, and just does an excellent job on the boards. I'd want more than that from a power forward. In fact, I may take some heat for this comment, but I wouldn't trade Mobley straight up for Grant, much less throw in our first rounder. Mobley has the potential to be one of the top shooting guards in the NBA I believe. Does Grant have the potential to be one of the top power forwards? I don't think so. At best, I think of him as another Dale Davis. I'd rather have Cuttino, unless Cuttino definetely says he's leaving, in which Grant is better than nothing.

------------------

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Mobley and the number 9 pick? I would not do that. It may be a fair trade but I think we should look for inside strength using other means besides giving up one of the three solid pieces to our backcourt.

Parting with Mobley and others to get a player like Duncan is one thing IMO, but not sure I would do it and the draft pick for Grant.

(I know you're speaking hypothetically so this doesn't matter: but with Bonzi Wells and Steve Smith I doubt Portland would want a SG)

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

5. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Yeah Clutch I figured as much. (Note the disclaimer in the first post) I tried to think of a Power Foward who could fetch around what the Rox could package in a deal and deliver what I thought the team needed to be successful next year.

I do believe that Grant could average 13-15 points if he were the sole offensive threat in the middle. Package that with 9-11 boards and some hustling solid D and i thought It might be worth it.

The reason I used Mobley as hypothetical trade fodder is that:

1. He's a restricted FA.
    2. Its the only position the Rox have good depth at.

I know Pole is due here at any moment to give me loads of grief, but honestly I thought it to be a fair trade (only speaking in terms of the Rox) for the Rox to make.

To me the trade makes sense. The Rox dont have any tough guys, rebounders, good front court defenders who can be a leader and a positive comminity player.

[This message has been edited by Dreamshake (edited April 24, 2000).]

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

If Grant were still a young guy (relative to Francis's age [20-25]), I would strongly consider it. However, seeing that he is 29 and seems to be on the way down, no way.

The lottery pick really doesn't mean much [we'll trade it for an established player anyway], but Mobley has arrived. I think there is too good a chance of Mobley resigning for us to trade him outright.

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

7. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I'll pass too. Our Lotto pick can prove to be very benficial if Miles can slip to us.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dare I say it? I wouldn't trade Mobley for that deal. (God forgive me)

There was a point when Grant was healthy I would have loved to have brought him in as a Rocket, but as someone else mentioned, he's damaged goods until proven otherwise.

------------------
    <this space for rent>

9. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I would if I smoked crack. Just kidding. Seriously, last year I'd have done it. A Barkley and Grant combo woulda been awesome. But this year Grant looks like sh - - out on the court at times, and is fragile. Plus he's a whiner about PT, and Rudy hates that (ala Rhodes, Elie). I don't know how wise a trade like that would be either in terms of present or long term benefit to the team. I see too much downside.

What would you do?

------------------
    Now accepting applications for the Make Steve Francis Accept Reality Club

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

No.

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Dreamshake -- that's what I get for reading just half your message [​IMG] My fault...

I like Grant a lot and it looked like he was going to bust out after last year's playoffs, but he hasn't been what he was then and his PT gets lost at times behind Wallace. You have to wonder if he'll be elsewhere next season...

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited April 24, 2000).]

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Here's the grief. Mobley is my favorite Rocket now. Why? Cuz he's such a diamond in the rough. He's fearless and cocky, yet not too proud to learn. He came up from the 41st pick in '98 to be one of the premier players from that year, and it looks like he's still got room to grow.

But is he going to stay a Rocket? I don't know. He might want to leave for money, and if that's the case, it sure would be nice to get something in return. Mobley and a #9 pick for Grant? I don't think so. Dreamshake might think Rudy and Co. are morons, but geeez...

Nevertheless, if I KNEW Mobley was going to leave, and I could figure out a way to get Grant in the process (without giving up a first rounder), I'd say....(drum role please) "go for it."

I think Grant is undervalued right now. He's on a "team" that isn't. It's just a high dollar group of stars. I think he'll flourish in a different environment, and quite frankly, I really like the guy (plus, if the guy has a vindictive bone in his body, he HAS to hate Malone) All in all, I think he'd be a great addition, and the guy has a lot of class; something the Rockets will lose a lot of when Hakeem is gone.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

13. Pole

BTW--when I say that I think Grant is "undervalued," I'm not talking about in relation to his salary, but in relation to the general prevailing opinion (that his game has slipped since last year).

------------------

14. Pole

how 'bout: Mobley and the #9 for Ron Artest and one of Chicago's lower picks?

------------------

15. Pole

hypothetically speaking, of course

------------------

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Well for starters I wanted to get a response in here before Pole got his 5th consecutive ... [​IMG]

J/K .... interesting proposal. Very interesting actually. We lose depth in the backcourt, move up in the draft and gain a SF ... Chicago gets probably the better ballplayer and moves down in the draft.

It's really not a bad deal... but I'm hoping to move up in the draft somehow without giving up Mobley. Too bad Don Nelson isn't above us.... "call the Clips" is the best I can think of ...

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'd do it if it's Chicago's first pick. That way we could get Martin or Fizer. But if it's the second, I'd pass. We could probably (in my opinion at least) get Miles, Moiso, or Johnson at the 9th pick if that is what we're looking at. We would probably just be moving up but getting one of the same players we'd get at the 9th pick. And we definetely aren't getting the better player in Artest instead of Mobley. See, the problem with the latter pick is that pick is one behind the Hawks. (except for a miracle) I would take the latter pick if Mike Miller would be there. However, with Atlanta at 5, it doesn't appear likely.

------------------

18. TraJ

TraJ Member

With Artest do you still go for Miller?

------------------

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Da Bulls aren't trading Artest, so scratch that deal.

------------------
    I had amnesia once or twice.

20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Keep talking. I won't bite on Grant, but I'm ready to deal Mobley and the #9. I don't think we need him nearly as much as we need help in the frontcourt. In the long run, for a guy of Mobley's ego, three's a crowd at the guard position. If we don't force the issue soon, he will.