1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many of you had your homes flooded?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 4, 2015.

?

Did you house get flooded and did insurance cover it?

1. No my house didn't get flooded.

60 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. Yes my house got flooded but insurance is covering it.

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Yes my house got flooded but insurance isn't covering it.

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was communicating with someone in Houston whose home got flooded and his insurance didn't cover it. Just wondering how many Clutchfans were in the same situation.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

My parents home got flooded.

Did your friend not have flood insurance?

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've had my house flooded, but not recently- it was during Ike. Insurance covered me. But I didn't vote in poll because I think you were just referring to the recent (2015) Houston floods.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes referring to the recent floods not ones from Allison or other big flood events.

5. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I think you need Federal flood insurance, which can be purchased through your home owner's insurance company, to cover flood damage. The coverage could be for the building and/or contents. Premiums are expensive.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The government provides flood insurance through your insurance company. It's too big of a potential loss for any company to want to provide it on its on.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

They weren't in an area that was considered a flood risk.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Ah ok. My parents live in a flood prone area so they get flooded once every 10 years or so. They are written a check by the insurance company for about 20K every time they get flooded.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Doesn't look like too many Clutchfans got hit by flooding which is good.

Been hearing from another Clutchfan though who still has the Brazos River in his front yard.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Interesting related story- a good friend of mine is a lead for a high-end custom home builder that also does total remodels. He said that there was an entire neighborhood on the SW side of Houston that got flooded- pretty much everyone got at least a couple of inches. This neighborhood is in a desirable area but has a weird rule governing them that they can't remodel their homes for more than 50% of the appraised value. So now they have a huge group of houses that are going to need extensive rebuilds that the city won't issue permits for because the cost will end up being more than half the value of the home.

My buddy says that FEMA is involved but a lot of the homeowners have already signed contracts to do the work and weren't aware of the rule and are in trouble because they've put a big chunk of money down with their contractors to do the work, which the city won't issue permits for.

I just shook my head- freaking politics. It sounded like rent control in NYC. I was picturing an old city council member who lived there and wanted to keep his taxes down so put the law into effect 20 years ago.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Does this person live within Houston? I heard a conversation with Annose Parker on 88.7 and she said flood insurance is available in Houston because it meets the federal guidelines - something along those lines. But she said the rest of Texas does not meet such federal guidelines.

12. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I assume talking about Meyerland...pretty devastating at how many homes were flooded and will have to be rebuilt.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

For those of you who did have your homes flooded, Houston's own Mattress Firm is providing Free Beds to those affected.

https://www.facebook.com/MattressFirm

[​IMG]

14. MystikArkitect

That's not a neighborhood thing. That's a City wide rule. If you renovate in the 100 year flood plain past 50% of appraised value, you must make the building or house either flood proof or elevate it out of the flood zone.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Did not have my house or car flooded thank God. It's crazy because only about 5-10 miles down the fwy Clear Lake got destroyed by flooding.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

http://www.mattressfirm.com/houstonflood

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is pretty cool of Mattress Firm to do that. I'm surprised Gallery Furniture isn't doing something like that.

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My mother-in-law's house got flooded out. She lives right on S. Braeswood Blvd. It's been a disaster but I've been able to take off for two weeks.

From what another posted mentioned, there are several flawed situations that are popping up. These restoration companies wanted at least $2,000 upfront to come to your house. They wouldn't provide quotes. I had a chance to talk with the adjuster and he said that FEMA isn't going to reimburse what some of these folks are doing. There has been a lot of price gouging going on and the looting has been something else. Not only that, people have ripped through all of the garbage bags that I had placed out. It's really annoying.

My dad and I did the demo ourselves. The sad part is my mother-in-law had just remodeled 90% of the house. I had to take out all her brand new hardwood floors that were destroyed. The adjuster hasn't really been any help. The FEMA inspector is coming out tomorrow. I'm not sure what to expect.

19. Mprice

Mprice Member

Dude I am so sorry your experiencing this, my god parents house is right across on the north Braeswood side near south rice but further in the neighborhood so they didn't have flooding to that extent, but I remember that night watching the game with them and not being able to leave the neighborhood at all I was stuck at her house for the following two days.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Cheezyboy, sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's house. I grew up close to Braeswood, just south of West U. From what I hear my old neighborhood is OK even though there was a Bayou about a 100 feet from my old house.

Very sad to see Meyerland looking like a lake. I remember shopping there as a kid and seeing movies at that theatre.