1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many games would Peyton or Brees have won with this bunch?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by basketballholic, Dec 6, 2013.

1. basketballholic

Since all the talk is about whether to draft a QB or not, thought I'd ask. How many games would the top QBs in the NFL have won with this same bunch and the same coaching?

Not just Peyton and Brees but what about Rodgers? Would Rodgers have broken his collarbone behind this offensive line? (I think so.) Peyton may be more immobile than Schaub and his arm isn't what it used to be. Put him in this system behind these guys, Foster and Daniels go down..what do you think Peyton would have done here?

Watching Schaub last night..he looks like he's finally healthy. Vet QB, knows all the reads, etc. He busts a couple nice drives but in the end...he threw another pick and wound up getting splattered. You replace Schaub with Peyton....I don't see the difference. I think Peyton could push the team somewhat, get the most out of them but bottom line would be we would be losing at least half or more of our games.

Differences from last year:

1. Our defense has d-i-s-a-p-p-e-a-r-e-d. Remember all the pressure we put on opposing QBs last year??? It's all gone. We have nothing up front anymore except Watt. It's like he's playing by himself up there.

2. Our offensive line has been dreadful.

In my humble opinion...and I don't claim to be a football expert....I keep going back to what I've heard over and over from all sorts of football people. Games are won and lost in the trenches.

I personally don't think any QB in the NFL could have this team at .500. They may have us at 4-5 wins instead of 2 but I personally can't see Manning, Brees, Rodgers, you name them having us at more than 4-5 wins.

2. Major

Major Member

The team has 11 losses. NINE of them are one-possession games. Five were 3-pts or less. You don't think a great QB would have made a huge difference in those? This team would easily be above 0.500 with any of those QB's. Combined, those guys have 30+ years in the league, the vast majority of which they have made the playoffs. They have played with crappy defenses, crappy O-Lines (Rodgers has been top 5 in sacks almost every year of his career), completely non-existent running games, etc. They still get above 0.500 almost every year. The Texans would be no different. That's the impact of a all-world QB.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rodgers would be incredible for this offense. We'd have no more than 3 losses.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

"How many games would Peyton or Brees have won with this bunch?"

All of them.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I basically agree with your premise. But I think stating this sentence this way is going to get you in trouble.

I think Manning, Brees, etc would have won several more games for this team (several of our losses were still close) before getting pasted in the post-season.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wtf? don't you realize how many of our losses have been by under 7 points this season?

EIGHT our our 11 losses have been by under 7 points, SIX of them have been by under 3 points.

Win just those 6 games, and we would be sitting at 8-5

7. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

We would be winning the division with Brees or Manning or Rodgers at QB. Anyone who could audible out of Kubiak horrendous play calling and can get the ball out quickly or step up in the pocket and buy time.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

THIS.

Of course having a good QB under center would have made a world of difference. Instead, we have a regressed Schaub and potential backup qb Keenum.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Peyton is different, the roster becomes irrelevant with him. Brees didn't win last year with the saints, a team that manning would have won 12-13 games with no problem. Peyton on the jags or raiders would make the playoffs, not brees

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Probably 10+ games.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Just watching last night it is easy to see subbing an experienced lousy QB for a rookie who has hit the wall gave us a fighting chance. Imagine now upgrading Schaub for one of those elite guys.

Last night would have been a win and most of the rest of those close ones as well. Plus we get the added bonus of resting our D a little more which makes them a little less banged up this time of year.

12. basketballholic

Ok. Point taken.

Do you think Peyton could have rifled the balls in that Schaub got intercepted last night? Do you think Peyton could have avoided the sacks that Schaub took?

Those pick 6's that Schaub threw early...I don't think Peyton even attempts to make those throws. Remember, this is not Denver's offense. How many times to you see Manning throwing those kind of deep outs? I don't think he tries to drill it in there. So where does that leave him?? Running around trying to make a play....and then what??

Rodgers may be the ideal qb for this team. But he would up with a busted clavicle in Green Bay. Is our OL significantly better than theirs???

On the other side of the ball our defense is in the bottom 3rd in sacks, dead last in interceptions, dead last in total takeaways, and right at or near the bottom of the league in forced fumbles, fumbles recovered, passes defended, rushing against and points per game.

While you make all those points about all these close games we could've won if we had scored another TD.....I can make just as strong a case that we would have won all those games if our defense had simply been what it was in 2012.

Our defense is giving up 27 points a game, our offense is scoring 19 points per game. Given our injuries and the state of our offensive line do you really think that putting Brady or Peyton or Brees or Rodgers or Stafford at qb would boost this team's offense to 28-30 points per game??????

Like I said...I think a premier qb would have made this offense better. And maybe I'm understating how much better we would have been. So let's say we were sitting at 10-3 today...realistic if you think a different QB would have propelled this team...now we're at 10-3 and headed to the playoffs....look at our defense and tell me our chances of getting past the wild card game?

13. Major

Major Member

Sure - but that wasn't your question. No one has said that we wouldn't be better if we had a better defense.

Defense would give up less points if the offense had the ball more. And if they didn't commit as many turnovers.

If the Texans were 10-3 right now, they would have a first-round bye and not play in the the wildcard game. But if they did, you don't think could beat a 6-6 Miami or Baltimore team?

14. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I'd give up the first three picks in this draft and next years 1st for Rodgers.

15. basketballholic

Why not just sign Josh McCown?

16. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

None of the games because those 2 would get benched by Kubes for always changing up his plays at the line.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the defense cant get turnovers, they are tied at last place in turnovers with only 9 (5 INTs and 4 recovered fumbles). the offense could score more if they defense gave them a better field position.

also the defense gets scored almost everytime when the other team is on the red zone.

18. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

The QB can make the line look good.

Peyton would make the Texans contenders this year.

19. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

The Colts without Peyton....

Packers without Rodgers...

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Even with the injuries to this roster, I can easily see them having more than at least 7 wins with any of those QBs you listed