1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

How long will you continue to support this pathetic Texans franchise?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CometsWin, Oct 4, 2015.

?

How long will you continue to support the Texans?

1. Forevaaaah

81 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. We just need a QB

62 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. I'm about done

38 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. **** this team

38 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I left Houston when I was ten years old when my father took a job in Saudi Arabia. Houston sports became one of my few ties to the city and country of my birth (even if in the 1980s that meant sometimes not knowing of game results for weeks after they occurred then actually seeing them months later as game VHS tapes made the rounds like prison contraband). I stuck with Houston pro football through it’s most disappointing era, the Run N’ Shoot Oilers years between ‘89 and ‘94. I’m a lifer. Just like I was a lifer, long suffering Astros fan before bathing in the elation of their long overdue World Series Championship two years ago. Just like I stayed with the Rockets even as I watched a once dynasty in the making circa 1986 lose piece after piece until no one was left, but Olajuwon before the franchise surrounded Dream with the right stuff finally paying off with back-to-back championships in ‘94 and ‘95 Jordan or no Jordan. A commercial ran during those NBA playoff runs featuring a Houston sports fans jumping off a building listening to a Rockets radio broadcast reporting the Rockets missing the game winning shot, but as he fell the broadcast added “But he was fouled!!” before the screen read “It’s not easy being a sports fan in Houston”. That’s damn right, and while results like today linger long after the final whistle, I could name you a dozen other less celebrated monumental chokes by this city’s sports franchises that no one talks about. But to quote one time local announcer Gene Petersen, “How Sweet It Is!!” when a franchise rises above this city’s seemingly cursed status to do the unthinkable. It’s easy to root for the NY Yankees, or the New England Patriots, or the Los Angeles Lakers, but do you think their fans really appreciate their titles which come every few years and almost seem like a birthright the same way this city felt when the Astros finally broke through after more than half a century of futility? Stick with the Texans H-town. And one day perhaps they can turn the tide. And I promise when that day comes it will feel far better than another title in Boston, NY, or Chicago. It will be special because it is rare and earned after many, many disappointments like today.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I guess I will always follow them and hope for the best, but I’ve just about given up hope that football in Houston will ever do much more than bring me entertaining disappointment. It’s always the same thing and it has been for decades. Even when they were legitimately good, you kind of knew that the Oilers would let you down, and the Texans are even worse. The people of Houston deserve so much better for being so blindly supportive of these organizations for all these years. It’s a ******* joke at this point.

macho GRANDE and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

More like when will I start tbh.

They lost my full on trust after getting humiliated against the Packers in prime time years ago.

VanityHalfBlack and SWTsig like this.
  4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Can't like that post enough

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'm going to sleep. Have a good night Texans fans.

Fire bill and let's get it next year

VanityHalfBlack and BigShasta like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Nice post, and I love the sentiment.

None of this means that Bill O'Brien's ass shouldn't be fired first thing in the morning. Then we all move on.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

"Bless his heart."

Epic.

PhiSlamma15 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Those Oiler teams were actually good and exciting to watch -- heartbreaking losses, but the teams were legit. The Texans (worst name in the NFL) are mediocre just squeaking by year after year like a college student who only studies the night before the exam.

9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I grew up an Oilers fan, went to every game from 1986 until their next to last season when I went off to college. Even then, I followed that last season holding out hope that them leaving was all a bad dream and Bud would change his mind. When they left, I was crushed and held out hope Houston would get a new team.

When the Texans were announced, it was a great day. I was in the Air Force up in Nebraska and had my mom send me a hat that I wore everywhere up there. I made sure I went to a game in KC after I got back from deployment (got to see a great one when the Texans beat the Chiefs on a last second FG in 2004). Basically lived and died with them team and bought all kinds of Texans gear for my kids when I was in San Antonio to offset the large amounts of Cowboys fans.

Then BoB was hired. I wasn’t crazy about them hiring a guy who had a mediocre record at a school that was a traditional power (even with the scandal, it wasn’t like Penn State was hurting for talent) and who was mainly known for “mentoring” Tom Brady. The first year was Ok, some questionable play calling, baffling decisions, but the Texans did decent. Then, those questionable play calls and baffling decisions kept happening and BoB basically rode a weak division to the playoffs...where they got skunked. Then, it kept happening.

I think my breaking point with BoB was that New England game in the playoffs up there when we played very well in the first half and the Pats played like crap...and yet, we were losing due to some baffling play calling by BoB. I turned it off at that point because I knew we were going to lose...which we did (I believe the Texans got shut out in the 2nd half and lost badly). Since then, I keep up with them, but I’m not a die-hard right now. I watch the occasional game, listen on the radio if I’m driving around, but I don’t really care. I’ll be honest, I’m actually rooting for them to lose most of the time because I want BoB gone; he makes watching the Texans an unbearable experience.

I love the players, still love the Texans because I love Houston, but until they dump BoB, I can’t support them like I used to. Even got gifted some Texans socks this Christmas and said I won’t wear them until they get rid of BoB. He is the epitome of lazy hiring and his ceiling is what you saw yesterday.

If Cal McNair cares about winning (and I don’t think he does), he’ll fire BoB, get a new GM, let that person hire the next coach, and get out the way.

Jake Tower, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

gatsby and KingCheetah like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

NO ****... HE'S OPEN...!

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

My Texans fandom waxed and waned over the years. At the beginning obviously was psyched to have another team and excited for Carr/Johnson duo. Then I realized Casserly was a bumbling fool who makes trades like 2nd and 3rd for a corner that isn't even good enough to play. I was revitalized for a while under Kubiak cause he did a lot of things the right way. Even though we never won at least it felt like the team was able to compete. He eventually ran his course and deserved his firing but overall I was pretty positive on his tenure.

BOB looked like a bad hire after 1-2 years especially when it was blatantly obvious he's not the QB guru everyone hyped him up to be. And yes, I would've given up on the Texans completely if it weren't for DeShaun Watson. Sadly Watson is going to waste his generational talents on this bumbling organization and prop up a bad organization into at least looking mediocre. But it's still fun watching him and Hopkins and give me at least 1% chance of feeling we may win a Super Bowl with him.

13. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Stop giving them money and they will be forced to make changes. We need to stop supporting trash product.

BigShasta and GotGame15 like this.
  14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Easier said then done. If you owned PSL, why would you let it go for nothing. In my case, it took me 2 years to even find a decent offer for my PSL. And let not forget there’s 15k ppl on the waiting list for PSL/STH. Even if there’s bunch of empty seats during the games, it really doesn’t matter cuz those tickets are sold. Although it does hurt them a little with selling merchandise, food and alcohol during the game. Texans games will always be sold-out or at least at 95% capacity.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I quit buying any Texans gear 3 years ago. All that money has gone towards Astros gear. Ive purchased one game ticket in the past 3 years and have been given a few tickets. The only thing Ive supported this franchise for in the past 3 years is that ticket I bought and the the beers Ive purchased while being there.

Sidenote: Is it just me or does Texans and Rockets gear not age well? They just start looking tacky after awhile. Astros gear on the other hand just have this classically vintaging to them.

BigShasta likes this.
  16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

O'b shouldve been fired years ago. I stopped buying merch and going to games last year. I watched probly 3 quarters this season until the playoffs. I'll support them in the playoffs but as long as hes coach, this is going to happen. If they dont fire him after being outscored 51-7 in the playoffs, I might just stop altogether. My "I give a ****" about this team took a big hit after last year bc he wasnt fired.