1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long do we have to wait till we get great Centers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by UtilityPlayer, May 17, 2014.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Sometimes I missed the days of Yao, Shaq , Robinson, Sabonis, Rick Smith, Of course Hakeem , Ewing , Mourning to back a lil further. I hope to see dominant centers who can average around 20-25 pts on a consistent basis and block 2-3 shots and guard the paint.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anthony Davis averaged 20ppg and 2.8 bpg. Cousins will also do it. And Howard has done it many times

Now 25 and 4 like Hakeem did. Unlikely

Btw: Rik Smits never scored 20ppg and only once had 2+ bpg

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

With the current rules? unlikely

4. SunsRocketsfan

Umm shaq and morning are from the same draft class and same era... 1st and 2nd pick in 92

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Those days were wonderful. But they might be over given the fact the game has evolved away from post centers. The rules have changed where old school centers like Hakeem, Ewing or Shaq would foul out on ticky tack fouls

6. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

the rules kinda make it difficult for Centers to dominate, imagine Howard playing in the era of illegal defense , that would have been interesting

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Sadly, those days are over. It's more focused outside the paint now. The rules make centers want to play PG.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Embiid and Okafor are the next hopes...

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

When the rules are changed. So not in our lifetime.. it ia sad that is the basketbal i like to watch. I do not like the way the nba is evolving.bunch of little fast guys.

Funny that you mention Smits. I would not call him a great center. However he is one of the centers who would not be limited as much by the current rules.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

When the refs stop neutering superstars like Dwight. Maybe.
    Hey Dwight do you want to play in an NBA where you can't back down or else you'll be called for a charge, where you can't go baseline because they'll push you out of bounds no-call, and where you can't box out because its an over the back?

How about a 3-seconds violation every time 1-second elapses when you are in the paint. How about Hack-a-Dwight in the middle of the fourth? How about getting hammered on your hooks and layups and dunks and getting no-call because you are physically bigger therefore the refs will swallow their whistles?

How about a technical on top from all the pent up frustration towards these ****ty refs?
    Don't get me started on how everyone in the league will just flop on you instead of playing defense.

Welcome to the world of the modern center. Finesse centers are starting to dominate the league for a reason. The refs will just not allow for back-to-the-basket play anymore.

2 people like this.
  11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Great post, this sums up all my frustration perfectly (This was already happening with Yao). I really do not understand why Stern wanted the Center position to vanish

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Because teams based around interior players are usually slow and uninteresting

Just look at the Spurs and their transformation from Duncan to Parker

#12 Aleron, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Reminder: This is the era of GREAT PF/C HYBRIDS Copy. Over

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

Donuts could be the one, but he does not get touches in the post

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

If I could rep, this here. ^

16. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

I think we’re seeing a Jordan hyper-marketing weaned generation come into fruition with no big man game icon to equally aspire to. It's almost ridiculous that there are so many bigs able to bomb it from long range, put the ball down, and have crap post games and suspect interior defense at the same time.

Enjoy Duncan while you can. I think he's the last of the breed for some time to come even though he’s past his prime.

17. VBG

VBG Member

DeMarcus Cousins?

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Has anyone enjoyed Duncan though? There is nothing about his game that is exciting at all :p

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No doubt. He's right there with Dream and Shaq.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Been saying it all season long with long rants that are lost in game threads.

Meanwhile...guys like Dirk and LMA get rewarded for fade away jump shots. Grats on those guys for hitting those shots but no way they should be going ot the line for that ****

Also they should just stop calling flops in the paint...period. That's not GOOD post defense, the whole point of playing post defense is BEING STRONG AND PREVENTING THE OPPOSING PLAYER FROM GETTING CLOSER TO THE RIM.

If Dwight is strong enough to knock down guys by backing down then he should be rewarded.

***** league.