1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How James Harden may have helped Lou Williams become a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-ja...d-lou-williams-become-a-rocket-153436425.html

How James Harden may have helped Lou Williams become a Rocket
    [​IMG]
    Shams Charania
    The Vertical
    Yahoo SportsMar 24, 2017, 10:34 AM
    [​IMG]
    Los Angeles Lakers to a strong start, and he had an idea to pitch." data-reactid="15">Two weeks before the NBA trade deadline, a rival player called Lou Williams. The Houston Rockets’ James Harden watched Williams flourish this season, helping lead the perennial All-Star’s hometown Los Angeles Lakers to a strong start, and he had an idea to pitch.

“When James called, he asked me if I was interested in playing with them,” Williams told The Vertical. “I told him that I loved the Lakers, but James and them have a group that fit my personality, fit how I play. He said he was going to make it happen.”

Williams then laughed, sitting on the edge of a visiting court following a recent practice. “I’ve heard that before, so I didn’t really put stock into it,” Williams told The Vertical. “I guess James did put the word in, and the team made it happen.”

Harden had planted the seed, and Williams now laughs at how everything worked out. Houston had an MVP frontrunner in Harden and the third seed in the Western Conference, but the franchise identified the need for another creator to handle the ball and shoot.

The challenge of acquiring Williams appeared to become more difficult during trade-deadline week. The Lakers, who had since collapsed after a 10-10 start, began a major transition in the front office two days before the deadline, hiring Magic Johnson and later player agent Rob Pelinka to replace Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak as president of basketball operations and general manager, respectively. Houston, Utah and Washington reached out to Johnson about a deal, with Williams’ agent, Wallace Prather, helping to facilitate negotiations.

Williams came to the Lakers on a three-year deal in 2015 as the franchise entered Kobe Bryant’s final season, and his play (18.6 points per game with the Lakers this season) allowed the front office to seek a first-round pick in trade talks. As the Sixth Man of the Year candidate was completing a workout in his old high school gym on a Tuesday evening in Atlanta, he received the phone call about the trade to the Rockets.

[​IMG]

“It wasn’t awkward for me with the changes going on in L.A. because I’ve understood the business,” Williams told The Vertical. “I remember the first day I joined the Rockets, I came into the breakfast room and [coach] Mike [D’Antoni] asked me if I would be able to play tonight if they needed me to, and I said, ‘Yeah.’ He said, ‘All right, be yourself.’ He said don’t think about anything, just play. That’s all I needed to hear.

“With the year that Eric [Gordon] is having – this season me and him being one and two in the Sixth Man running – and now we’re on the same team … man, it’s probably safe to say that the trophy has to go through Houston. The league probably has to give us two of them. I think it’s huge to have me and Eric with the way we play. The culture here, the type of players that they want, I believe over time it’s going to pay big dividends for us.”

So far, Williams has given D’Antoni some punch off the bench. He’s averaged 14.5 points in 13 games, including 30 points and seven assists last week against the Lakers. For the season, Williams is averaging 17.8 points

“We needed one more guy that could create, and Lou is perfect,” D’Antoni told The Vertical. “Lou is a professional scorer. In case someone is off, if someone is injured, Lou brings another 15 to 20 points. We still need to incorporate everything. You can never have enough shooters and playmakers, and he does both.”

At 49-22, the Rockets have positioned themselves to make a deep run in the Western Conference playoffs. D’Antoni is making a case to be the NBA Coach of the Year, but as he told The Vertical, “All you do as a coach is trust your players to make the right play and play their game.” For everyone on the roster, the motto is the same.

Williams, 30, views Clippers reserve Jamal Crawford as an intriguing career template. Both rely on craftiness, range and a unique ability to score with minimal lift, which can foster career longevity. Crawford, 37, has long envisioned playing into his 40s.

“Until the wheels fall off for us,” Williams told The Vertical. “I already have 12 [seasons] in the can. Forty for me probably would be a little farfetched, because of being in my 12th season, being 30. Forty would be, what, 22 seasons?

“I don’t know if I got 22 seasons in me, but God willing, I’ll get close.”

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Further proof that James Harden is the real GM of the Houston Rockets.

Triple chinned Maury just a placeholder.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For the record, Morey is on record saying he had been talking to the Lakers for months about Lou Williams. He said trades often require planting seeds months in advance and letting the talks grow over time.

So, a call by Harden 10 days before the trade might just have been part of final due diligence. Would go so far to guess Morey asked the Lakers if Harden could talk to Lou, and said he'd even throw in Brewer if they would allow the two to talk privately.

#4 heypartner, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    DonKnock, AroundTheWorld and Deuce like this.
  4. heypartner

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Harden also made the call for Bobby Brown.

It went like...

James - Ay bruh u want free money n party at strip clubs from Nov to June?

Bobby - Make it happen.

James - Done.

6. heypartner

Also of interest is to reread cyberx post-trade info he provided

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well so much for all that BS about Harden being selfish and not wanting to share the ball, he actively got another playmaker on the team.

#YuleC

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nice find. TBH I really like the way Magic is handling the Lakers, I think he is gonna be like Jerry West, one of the few NBA superstars who also became superstar GMs. He wants to build a foundation and set the culture right rather than being like Billy King or NYC FO and just get big names left and right.

Hakeemtheking and da_juice like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden dipping his toes in the GM game.

GM Lebron > GM Harden right now though.

Harden is young; so many moves to make.

#10 DreamShook, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    J Sizzle likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty anxious to see how he handles the young potential on the roster vs bringing in established star players. Will he be patient and let these guys develop together or chase some names out there

11. heypartner

Notice you won't find any articles about "How Russell Westbrook may have helped Taj Gibson become a Thunder." He's too busy trying to count to 10 every day, and doesn't have time for trades to help improve the team for a playoff run.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Taj went from grabbing 12.5 rebounds per 100 possessions pre all-star to grabbing 9.7 rebounds per 100 possessions post all-star lol

[frog emoji] [tea emoji]

But, anyways. Lou has been good for us so far. He adds needed fire power. Honestly, I'd rather have Taj over Lou, but I understand that Mike would probably want Lou more than Taj because he fits the system better. Taj would have been forced to play center instead of his natural position of a power forward because MDA likes the 1 in four out rotation.

Still, Lou has been our 2nd leading scorer these past 15 games and he's been shooting at a respectable rate even if he got in a REALLY bad 3 or 4 game slump. Lou replaces Trevor as a shooter because Trevor has been in the longest shooting slump ever although I think he's starting to come out of it. At first I was worried about Gordon, but in these past 15 games he's been shooting at 34.5 percent which honestly isn't great, but it's good when you consider the volume he's taking which is 8.1 threes these past 15 games.

Trevor these past 15 games is shooting only 32% on 6 attempts which is bad. It'd be ok if it was like 2 attempts a game, but on that volume that percentage is bad. This is why Lou helps a lot because he offsets that poor shooting by making 37% on 6 attempts.

Patrick and Anderson are the real MVPs for our shooting. Anderson attempts 7.4 threes and makes 38.5%. Beverley attempts 4.1 threes and makes 42%. Of course in these past 15 games. (I use last 15 because I don't want to take account of games that happened in January or February when legs were tired. Nor in November and December when we were going lights out. In November no one shot less than 37%. In December no one other than Trev and Harden shot under 39% and still they were both at 36%. That type of shooting is unrealistic for a duration of a playoff run. These past 15 games are a better sample of what we can expect. If we shoot like we did in November or December then we have an extremely high chance of winning a championship unless another team also goes nuclear as well lol.)

I think Trevor and Gordon are all getting better though. In the past 10 both are at 36%. (Lou is at 29% lol) and these past 5 Trev and EJ are hovering near 38% (with Lou back up to 40%.) The more I think of it having Lou helps because we're always gonna have a guy or two having a bad shooting night. I mean in these past 5 games Ryan and James have been shooting poorly, but we have Trev, Patrick, EJ, and Lou all shooting lovely. You have more margin for error when you have so many shooters. Lou has been good for the offense.

DonKnock, Deuce and heypartner like this.
  13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

GOod job Morey leaking this story. This just screams hey FA's if you are a star and you come here you can have all the control you want.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GM James Harden > GM Chandler Parsons......tbh

15. threepointshot3

People blamed Lawson's terrible play on Harden be conveniently forgot the little fact of Lawson's issues with alcohol which has reared it's ugly head again this very season. People who hate Harden will find any little thing to attack him.

ricardo1979 likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This. This is exactly why Morey made the move for LouWill. Better margin for error in 3 pointers as that is the element that is the biggest ceiling for the Rockets to advance deep in the playoffs. Double, triple down on shooting.

17. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Is it a good thing to publicly say Harden did this while he was with Lakers? I know players do that, but the opposing team(management,ccoach, fans) gotta hate this kind of stuff.

18. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Because it's almost a guaranteed trip to ecf. Not that hard to sell

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Harden should have went straight to the media like Lebron