1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Titanic rated PG-13?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Feb 20, 2017.

1. 713

713 Member

I was watching the Titanic movie today and the scene when Rose gets naked and says "Draw me Like one of your french girls." She drops her robe and you see her bewbs and nipple. How did this movie get rated PG-13 in 97? The scene was weird watching it with my little brother.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you looking for an R rating? Clearly PG-13 to get all the teenage girls to see a Leo movie.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Clearly deserved an NC-17. I mean, a nipple! The vapors...

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

LOL - That would have been a PG film in the early 80's. Back then it was not uncommon for PG movies to include topless scenes. Even airplane had a quick topless scene. Of course, this was before there were PG-13 movies. Although, according to the MPAA ratings, a film can still have brief nudity and receive a PG rating.

PG: "Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children."
    This is a film which clearly needs to be examined or inquired into by parents before they let their children under 10 attend. The label PG plainly states that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children under 10, but the parent must make the decision. Parents are warned against sending their children, unseen and without inquiry, to PG-rated movies. The theme of a PG-rated film may itself call for parental guidance. There may be some profanity in these films. There may be some violence or brief nudity. But these elements are not deemed so intense as to require that parents be strongly cautioned beyond the suggestion of parental guidance. There is no drug use content in a PG-rated film. A child could find the PG rated film sad and scary, a PG rating however should not unsettle a child age 10 or older. The PG rating, suggesting parental guidance, is thus an alert for examination of a film by parents before deciding on its viewing by their children. Obviously such a line is difficult to draw. In our pluralistic society it is not easy to make judgments without incurring some disagreement. So long as parents know they must exercise parental responsibility, the rating serves as a meaningful guide and as a warning.

PG-13: "Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13."
    PG-13 is thus a sterner warning to parents to determine for themselves the attendance in particular of their younger children as they might consider some material not suited for them. Parents, by the rating, are alerted to be very careful about the attendance of their under-teenage children. A PG-13 film is one which, in the view of the Rating Board, leaps beyond the boundaries of the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, or other contents, but does not quite fit within the restricted R category. Any drug use content will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. In effect, the PG-13 cautions parents with more stringency than usual to give special attention to this film before they allow their 12-year olds and younger to attend. If nudity is sexually oriented, the film will generally not be found in the PG-13 category. If violence is too rough or persistent, the film goes into the R (restricted) rating. A film's single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, shall initially require the Rating Board to issue that film at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive must lead the Rating Board to issue a film an R rating, as must even one of these words used in a sexual context. These films can be rated less severely, however, if by a special vote, the Rating Board feels that a lesser rating would more responsibly reflect the opinion of American parents. PG-13 places larger responsibilities on parents for their children's moviegoing. The voluntary rating system is not a surrogate parent, nor should it be. It cannot, and should not, insert itself in family decisions that only parents can, and should, make. Its purpose is to give prescreening advance informational warnings, so that parents can form their own judgments. PG-13 is designed to make these parental decisions easier for films between PG and R.

The funny thing is that R films today are much more heavy-laden with sex, drugs & cursing than in the 80's..but PG films are much more child-friendly.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I asked the same question watching the Magnificent Seven remake. The last 45 minutes of the film was people shooting each other. No blood though.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

i remember watching it with the parents, very awkward. also remembered a couple of kids being sent out during those scenes.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I just re-watched Weird Science, that movie is pretty risque and had a PG-13 rating. no bewbs, but damn. 80's PG-13 is R now.

This has little to do with Titanic, I'm just saying.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

awkward

^^ this *is* a PG-13 version

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

You've held on to this 20 years?

ramotadab likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The nudity was in service to art, not sex.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Generation Snowflake

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't know but I saw boobs in the theater.

Kind of like when my dad took me to see American Pie for my 13th birthday.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I remember growing up with PG-13 movies like Just One of the Guys and Doc Hollywood

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Did you do a secret ninja-fap next to teh parents?

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

thought about it. but kate winslet's tiddies deserve a special fap, not the quickie ninja ones

Yung-T likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn't one of the Indian Jones movies the reason they made the pg-13 rating?

18. Buck Turgidson

And Gremlins. It was Spielberg's idea.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever watched Logan's Run? PG movie that shows full frontal nudity. I remember seeing it as a kid and thinking "JACKPOT"

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Yes, It was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom & Gremlins. Spielberg didn't want to see his films get an R rating because he new it would likely affect viewership so he suggested an intermediate rating. The first film to be released with a PG-13 rating was Red Dawn.