1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Shaq so fast?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by haven, Mar 3, 2007.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

You mean like when he saved Miami's arse and carried them through a tough Bulls team that gave Wade fits?

2. Rockets Dynasty

Well I am constantly being told by people I am "skinny" a "bean pole" a "toothpick" etc

Yet when I get measured for clothes people are blown away.

Hell some of my friends were saying how girly I was built, and they work out and are so buff and I'm so small etc

Then I said hey do you see an ounce of fat on me?

They were like, no none at all.

I said ok let's measure my biceps and my chest then yours and see how "skinny" I am.

Needless to say they shut up real quick when I had way bigger muscles than any of them.

The less body fat you have the tinier you can appear until people start measuring in inches or until you flex your muscles, when suddenly you become huge.

3. haven

haven Member

Alas, please look up "hyperbole" in the dictionary.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There are defensive tackles are running 4.6s these days...

5. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Willis had a big advantage in lifting because of his freakishly short arms (relative to his height.)

Wilt, on the other hand, was just freakishly strong.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

how much could he lift???

7. Man

Man Contributing Member

Shaq has been great. I still hope that he does well whenever I watch him play. Makes me sad to see him not dominate inside..

Didn't like the time he mocked Yao, but he apologized (I think?) and now they've had a good mini-rivalry over the years.

8. Rockets Dynasty

Supposedly from the nba official records

Shaq 450

Willis 475

Wilt 500

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where did you get those numbers from?

10. Rockets Dynasty

The NBA has all the records from the workouts it was posted on basketballforums.net a couple years ago.

As for Wilt he also did in the NCAA with Kansas and he also did it in a contest with Arnold once.

Arnold claims only a handful of people could actually do it with him and Wilt among the very few.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wilt supposedly could also run a 4.4 and had a 50 in vertical. If that is true that man is truly a freak of nature. To be that big, strong, and fast is incredible.

12. Rockets Dynasty

Yeah when they did ESPN SportsCentury they said that the overall athletic measurement (you know like what they use at the combines in the NFL draft testing) states that Wilt is the greatest athlete that ever lived.

I do know that he did set NCAA records in running and jumping at Kansas.

Actually the intersting thing is that SportsCentury said Bill Russell set a record for the high jump.

It's funny how so many fans today act like the athletes now are better.

If you really compare Dwight Howard or Amare to Wilt or Russell even athletically Wilt and Russell were better, never mind based on basketball skill.

But 99 percent of fans say, "hey they were just good because it was all 6-7 white dudes they faced."

Nevermind of course that the average C back in the 60's and 70s was actually bigger than the ones now, thus the so-called "death of the C position" thing people talk about.

13. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

I've seen some Wilt's playing pictures. He's nowhere as big as Shaq.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't underestimate Kevin Willis. He was a very strong dude that nobody messed with. His arm size compared to his legs was freakish.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Shaq is fast spinning to the basket because he thinks the rim is actually a giant jelly doughnut.

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Yeah, but you can't deny that the 90s had superior competition at the position. Olajuwon, pre-pubescent Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning with original kidneys... Even the second-tier guys like Mutombo and Smits were light years ahead of the people Russell and Chamberlain played against.

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

You should probably look it up, because your initial post contained none. If you are talking about mine, then again you are wrong, because I wrote a reply to myself write below it. But you look up the word "inimical."

:(

18. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

19. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Shaq is younger than Oden.

20. fredthered

fredthered Member

While Wilt is an unmatched physical specimen, there is a reason he scored 100 points, or why Russell could lead a fast break and block so many shots. The overall athleticism of players has greatly increased. While the limits on the human body stop players from surpassing certain barriers, the average player today is more athletic then in the Wilt and Russell days.