1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How important is JJ to the Rocket's success this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daburone, Nov 2, 2004.

1. daburone

daburone Member

Hi peoples - another season about to start - cant wait!

Just been wondering, how important do ya'll think JJ is to the Rocket's hopes this season. All the talk is understandably about Tmac and Yao, but just wanting to know your thoughts on JJ.

It would seem to me that an aweful lot is expected of the veteran this season. He really needs to put up 13 ppg and continue to nail the 3's at a decent clip like last season (40% or so). Also he has a history of being turnover prone so he will need to be extra careful this season as he assumes even more responsibility. It all seems a big ask for a player that is 34 or there abouts.

Any thoughts/comments..?

Anyhow - Go the Rockets! :)

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

since T-Mac and Ward will be handling the ball most of the time this season, I don't see TO will be a problem for JJ anymore, he will have a soild season again.

3. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

very important.

anymore questions/

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect JJ will be the third most important person on team behind Yao and TMac.

Rational:

1) He's easily better than Ward, Dike, Lue, Gaines, Boki, Spoon, Bowen, Barrett, and Padgett at this point in their careers.

2) Mo T and Howard play similar roles and thus could replace the other person's minutes if needed.

3) His knowing the offense and 3 pt shoot are keys to getting the offense going this year.

4) His backups haven't proven anything yet.

5. daburone

daburone Member

Yes, specifically how do you think he will handle the pressure?
    This season with the Rox is probably the most that will be expected of JJ since his Dallas days way back in the early 90's. Last season he managed to silence the doubters who labeled him "locker-room cancer" etc. but can he step up to the plate this season and put up the kind of numbers the Rox need?

Cheers, Wayne

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

This will be Jim's biggest importance this season, much as it was last season. Maybe Sura will be able to help spread the rotation out if he can return effectively early in the season, but as it stands now, the Rockets have a swingman depth problem.

It's not a new problem; Cat and JJ both played loooooong minutes last season. I think it began to take its toll on JJ at the end of the season, but of course he was still one hell of a solid player considering especially he was playing more minutes than ever before in his long career.

I expect JJ will be that same guy this season. We all know why JVG loves the guy: Because he works hard, he's steady, calm and experienced. The turnovers are a problem, but they won't be as harmful now that we've replaced our most turnover players of last season.

JJ will have to deliver again this season, as will every single Rocket. I think he's up to it.

7. Charvo

Charvo Member

Ward will arguably have more importance than JJ since he will to be defending the point guard, and there are a lot of very good point guards in the West who can ball. Ward will also have to shoot a very good percentage from 3 point land in order to keep the opposing point guard from running around Yao's knees poking at the basketball. Many of the turnovers that Yao commits are from the opposing point guard swiping at the basketball when he puts it down on the ground to make a move towards the basket.

JJ will be important just because he has crappy backups.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The same as last year. He plays within the system. JJ doesn't seem to be the type of player that buys into "pressure". "Pressure" is a purely mental force that a person puts on himself by believing what the media and fans say about a certain situation.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

JJ is the quiet leader on this team. I see him pushing our players to the level they need to be on. He is our MVP from last season and i believe his work ethic and mentality will carry on to this year as well.