1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Harden can achieve godlike status without changing his game.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swapshop, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

We all know that Harden skipped out on the Olympics to help assemble his team but there is something that he can do to ascend to a new level. Skip going to the allstars this year to stay home and help working with the team. I am not sure if he is contractually obligated to attend allstar game or not, but if he isn't this would send a serious message and change the way he and the Rockets are viewed and most likely solidifying his MVP status this year.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

watch a million hours of game tape on everyone, esp the mavs. smart thinking

3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

True. Actually they should never practice or have summer camps or anything. Just watch the Mavs.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. If you are, terrible.

The one thing I'd like to see Harden do more of is encourage his teammates positively. Rile them up. More animation.
    The only way this team is going to advance in the playoffs is if the rest of our players follow Hardens lead with a boost of confidence.

jsingles and Deep Waters like this.
  5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

These guys are professionals, most of them veterans too.

They don't need Harden cheerleading them on any more than a surgeon needing another doctor there to amp him up before surgery.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Harden is about 10 years older than me and I would not make him leave if he wanted to cheer me on in my office.

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Disagree fully. Also the whole thing wasn't for them to watch mavs tapes or have harden cheerlead them but rather then iron out their offense and defense with the coaches. Understanding the plays and things as a team.

Take time to regroup and refocus. Him skipping all star to do this would send the message to his team and everyone else that being there for and winning is his number 1 goal. This would also help recruitment efforts.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's gotta go recruit.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would rather he have fun, relax, smile, dance, do some networking, take 14 shots of tequila placed on 7 big booties in his rented mansion, make it rain and get a mind blowing lap dance at the strip club, afterwards casually drop 10 G's at the night club, have an ill-advised meal drenched in A1 sauce on the way home, get back home almost at sunrise, take an irresponsible 2 puffs of a J, sleep 12 hours, wake up, have a monster breakfast + juice to help the hangover, take a nap, sweat it out with a jog in the afternoon, call his friends and laugh about the fun they had and then get back to work a couple of days later.

I really hope he does that, and the media/fans don't find out about it.

Can this dude just have some mf'ing fun for his weekend off? God damn. Dude needs to celebrate his success a little, he has earned it.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

I know it's not popular around here, but I have always kind of agreed about Rockets' players not going to All Star games. Or Olympics. Or anything else.

I don't think that having an extra couple of days of practice would make or break this season or Harden's MVP chances. But mainly because I'm selfish and I want the Rockets' players fully for the Rockets. I have always thought that Yao's NBA career would have been extended if he hadn't spent so much time playing for China's national team as well. And who can forget the gruesome injury Paul George suffered in the national team scrimmage. The All Star game is kind of a joke and not something I usually care about or watch anyway. Why risk an injury to Harden that would ruin our promising season on a game that doesn't matter?

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Cleverly disguised "give Brewer more touches " thread.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Just to be clear I'm not knocking Harden nor am I agreeing with the ridiculous idea of him sitting out the all star game.

But I disagree with what you're saying, and your analogy is not relevant. If you wanted to compare this to a real life situation with a surgeon, then Harden would be the surgeon and the other players would assist with surgery and act like nurses. And while they don't require a pep talk as they are professionals, it won't hurt for positive talks. Surgery goes bad, surgeon is to blame. Nurses need to just relax and do what they always do and follow the surgeon's lead.

I hate comparing basketball to real life. Always sounds ridiculous. Like when Durant went to GS people were saying if you were working for a competitor and Apple offered you a job. Terrible analogy.

13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Can we not rate threads anymore?

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Do you mean younger? Is that your join date or the date of your birth?

mario_v and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

It's Dekker/Harrell (Fresh-Sophmore game) that I would rather have rest.

EGo,Bev & Harden should be fine if they attend.

#15 Jatman20, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  16. jbasket

jbasket Member

He can achieve godlike status by having a serious talk with MDA.

MistaK, Pen15clubber, mario_v and 3 others like this.
  17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Informing them of what to do and "riling them up" are completely different things.

I am 100% on board with him informing them of what they should be doing and getting the x's and o's right.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think he has to play in the allstar game, NBA league rules, unless he's injured and cant go.

Allstar is stupid but it's important to these guys legacy and HOF bid not that harden needs any help getting in I think he's a lock.

It's a big weekend for the casual fan and gets these stars brand even bigger towards ppl that don't see them play often.

I admit it's less important for guys like Lebron curry KD harden Westbrook because everyone knows who they are and they all already have the big money endorsements.

But there is plenty of time for the team to iron stuff out over the break even with harden participating in the allstar weekend.

Honestly I'm sure bev Anderson Gordon trez and dekker will be participating in some form or fashion anyways.

Plus the game is 4.5 hour drive away
    Not like they have to travel far for this.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The second analogy countered your initial point.

The initial point was that Harden needs to rile the other players up to increase their confidence.

In the second analogy you said the other players (nurses) need to just relax.

Which one is it?

Also, that Durant analogy you mentioned has unequal terms. The analogy would be better served If it were Bill Gates leaving Microsoft to join Apple after the release of the iPhone.
    Equating an average employee to a franchise player reduces the effectiveness of the comparison.

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member