1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good would Robert Horry be right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Joker, Aug 23, 2010.

1. The Joker

The Joker Member

How good would Horry in his prime be now? top 10 PF? better?

2. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

He would play on the wing, rather than a traditional power forward, so he wouldn't be ranked among power forwards. I'd say that he'd be now what he always was in the NBA, a terrific role player.

Nothing wrong with being one of the best role players in the league, cause you can always sign with contenders and be an integral part of their title run.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Better, obviously.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its hard to rate guys like Horry. He's almost all intangible except for his clutch shooting. How much is one of the best post entry passers of all time worth? He was also a slacker. Considering all those ridiculous blocking and steal games he had during his early career, he obviously didn't try his hardest every game.

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

he would be like Rashard Lewis but with better D and a few championship rings.

6. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

as good as he would be around 10 years ago.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

He would play at the 5 position for some teams.

just speculating.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

please. Role player. A stretch 4 in this league?

Maybe Rashard Lewis. Which means he'd be avg. at best.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He was too lazy to be anything more than he was, he would be the same player today as he was then.

DD

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I always felt like Horry could have done much more with his talent, but I guess at a point you are what your stats say you are. He probably would have been the same IMO.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which would be a top 10 PF in this league

Rocket River

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No...he would be a good role player, or starter level similar to Rashard Lewis.

DD

14. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

According to a lot of people on this board, he would be the greatest basketball player on the planet, since he has more rings than Jordan and we all know, rings are the sole determining factor.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They actually run plays for Lewis. Horry they would not.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I always viewed Horry as two different players - the young Horry who played the 3, and was mostly an off the ball slasher and the old Horry who played as a stretch 4 because he was too lazy to run and got fat. Nothing wrong with him, he had a great career but I don't think he was ever a top 10 anything except top guy at hitting clutch shots the one or two times a year you needed that from him.

If you want to talk about him as a player relative to the rest of the league past or present, cast him on a non-playoff team and tell me how valuable he is. Look at his best statistical year in 95 with Houston - as a 37mpg starter he averaged 12pts, less than 6 rebs, 4 ast, 1.5 steals, 1.5 blocks on 41% fg% and 36% 3pt fg%. Nothing really jumps off the page at you there except that he did a lot of things decently but that's what 3s are suppose to do to and it's worth noting that's far and away the absolute highlight of his career statistically. His assists dropped off dramatically when he wasn't dumping the ball into the Dream and his blocks and steals took a serious decline when his athleticism started to go within five years of him being the league. He had one amazing situational skill, but as a player I don't think he was every anything special.

Let's refresh ourselves with the memory of his career here:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horryro01.html

17. blunto

blunto Member

According to NBA Jam TE for Sega, he was more talented (having higher total skill points) than Hakeem.

My response, ipso facto, is: real good.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

well, you've lost all credibility. TE sucked because you couldn't shatter the glass on dunks. good try though.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Robert Horry in his prime was inconsistent, but I don't know why people wanted him to be anything else but Robert Horry.

The majority of people here wanted him to be Scottie Pippen.

But as a basketball player, your job to help win games and championships. In the playoffs and the clutch, Robert Horry was asked to do all the hard work.

Guard the Tim Duncans, Karl Malones, Rasheed Wallaces, Charles Barkley's etc..

What's not seen on the stat sheet is the sheer confidence a team has knowing there's a Robert Horry there to bail you out.

Nobody ever overpaid for Robert Horry, it's not like he got a Juwan Howard salary.

It takes a team and special players to win championships and Robert Horry is special.

Will Smith is not Rakim, but he doesn't need to be to sell alot of records.

1 person likes this.
  20. EjrRocket11

EjrRocket11 Member

I always see him out at the clubs especially nox on washington, so i doubt he'd be any good lol