1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good was Orlando T-Mac..?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Starvela, Jul 21, 2010.

1. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

he was definitely legit

2. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

Interesting..But even in his first year with Houston he just didn't seem as quick as he was in Orlando..Maybe his back started to get worse when he arrived here..He also didn't look as slim..

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

lol that is stupid, tmac was among one of the greatest players, skill wise. he could do things on the court people didn't dare dream of. health was the main factor when looking back at his career, but the man was talented that's for damn sure

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You have to be kidding me tinman.. Mcgrady was the only Rocket who showed up for that game!! The only other Rocket that had double digit scoring was Scola, and he had 15. You're saying he ran out of gas in the 4th? Which of his team mates were there to fill him up?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805020UTA.html

5. OkayAyeReloaded

If he had heart and fire and no injuries?
    people used to say back then during his cousins prime that he could be better than him...

6. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

He actually started off as a defensive player with the Raptors, Gerald Wallace-like.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://web1.nyc.youtube.com/v/ktBNiGeUPrY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://web1.nyc.youtube.com/v/ktBNiGeUPrY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

But as he became a super-scorer, he decided that he needed to conserve energy on the defensive end. The acquisition of Battier also put less pressure on him defensively. It's a shame that he didn't also drive himself to be a defensive player. Whenever he did show a dedication to defense on select possessions, I think it was as good as most other defenders in the league.

7. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I'd say top 5 player in the league.. no doubt about it

8. OkayAyeReloaded

I agree with this.

Some guys get used to losing and accept it, it dosen't bother them. Some guys have to win and expect it, they truly hate to lose.

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Sorry, but i'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I would consider (i'm sure like many others), Kevin Garnett to be one of the best players of all time...a future hall of famer.

He was 0-7 in the first round until he GOT SOME HELP (Spreewell and Cassell).

Tracy has NEVER had that kinda help. He had nobody in Orlando. And he and Yao didnt have enough help in Houston.

You can look and compare SINGLE games all you want, but in the playoffs is where HE showed up and played with heart...his stats alone tell it all.

Tracy in playoffs with Houston:
    27.6ppg, 7.2 rpg, 6.9apg, 1bpg, 1.3 spg

Starting 5 in 04-05: Yao, Bowen, Mcgrady, Wesley, Sura
    Starting 5 in 06-07: Yao, Howard, Battier, McGrady, Alston
    Starting 5 in 07-08: Deke, Scola, Battier, McGrady, B. Jackson (for 4 games), Rafer (for 2 games - both wins against Utah)

Tracy OVERALL in the playoffs:
    28.5ppg, 6.9 rpg, 6.2apg, 1bpg, 1.3 spg

Those look like pretty damn good numbers to me...and you cant tell me that those are good supporting casts.

I will admit though, 06-07, he should have been able to get out of the first round...

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

McGrady had the ability of natural length, leaping ability and shooting touch to get a shot off on ANYBODY from anywhere on the court. It was his gift and curse.

He could get a shot off anytime anywhere. Unfortunately he DID put up shots from anywhere. Why drive hard to the bucket when you can just rise from 12 feet unblocked, and make it look easy? Though his "easy" shot is still low percentage?

Also, any player's skills can look magnified when they hold the ball 10 times more than the next person and do what THEY want with it.

McGrady's negatives is 75% just bad luck/25% deserving flaws.
    McGrady's flaws do NOT EQUAL = No first round advancements. No matter what people tell you. Though his flaws can enable it more than other stars. And players are measured by records and hardware so its just how it has to be.

People like piling on McGrady cuz its an actual real life situation where "karma" actual seems to have worked. You can push the issue of "If you do __, then THIS can happen!". McGrady's career is a real life public service announcement.

1 person likes this.
  11. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

Aside from LeBron, T-Mac is definitely more naturally gifted than Wade and Kobe. If T-Mac had the worth ethic and mentality of Kobe and Wade, there is no doubt in my mind he would be more dominate. Just my opinion.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

exactly right! He did his part!!

I hope he gets picked up by a contender and gets a legit shot a title, he deserves it!

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

yes he was, Talented T-mac and no injuries could've been one of the top 5.

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Off-court issues...?? I know the guy was a diva, but what off-court issues..? :confused:

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

About as good as Danny Granger for the Pacers.

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

I still say Injuries was T-mac's biggest problems.

I don't know how bad his scoliosis is but I have scoliosis and it can be painful after just shooting around for awhile.

But either way when his back seemed to not be a problem then came the knee injury.

Just bad luck for him.

18. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

What happens if Kobe suffered knee injuries/back injuries instead of finger injuries??????

19. OvenproofBadger

Just T-mac > Steve in general...

20. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Yep.

Kobe did have some knee injuries.

REHAB!