1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good of a defensive coach is Lionel Hollins really?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 21, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Dave Joerger is the one often credited with the Grizzlies good defense.

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Riiiiiiiight

3. bmd

bmd Member

"Joerger is in the midst of his third season as Grizzlies head coach. He was an assistant under Lionel Hollins previously in Memphis, often credited with designing Memphis' intimidating defensive style. "

"The man credited with building a Grizzlies defense that ranked second in the league this season has been considered a front-runner for the position since shortly after Lionel Hollins' contract was not renewed."

"With Memphis, he quickly made his mark as well. Hollins promoted him to lead assistant in 2011, and the team rose from the mid-20's in defensive efficiency to a top-10 squad built around grit and grind the past three years. Joerger's defensive know-how, ability make him a perfect match for one of the more analytics-heavy front offices in the NBA."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/25/4462162/memphis-grizzlies-dave-joerger-head-coach
    http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/memphis-grizzlies-dave-joerger-hot-seat-coach-121415

Dave Joerger is the mastermind behind Memphis' "Grit 'n' Grind" defense. Not Hollins...

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Great! J.B. Bickerstaff part deux and a guy who is a "defensive genius" when it was really his assistant.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd take Hollins just for the fact that I can rest easy knowing if some players pull the ***** they did this season - they're getting hands put on them on the bench.

As opposed to walking past the coach and hearing "hey, what up G, good effort out there. Don't worry about those 19 turnovers bruh. We still good for the bottle service and VIP dancefloor at the club tonight? Aiight no worries homie just have a breather and we'll put you right back in"

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Hollins but if it gets us Silas over MDA I'm cool.

7. Houston79Astro

I think Hollins doesn't like to run zone defense very often, which is cool with me. Man D is the best way to go.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Check out the new chron article, he will not be solely in charge of defense so that's great news!!

9. bmd

bmd Member

Very few teams run a zone.

10. bmd

bmd Member

And when they do it's only for a short time to give a different look.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Crazy how we never interviewed Joerger.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, it was also like "0-30, from 3???! Don't worry about it, you'll still be starting and get starters minutes!! I love you, Brew!!" JBB played Brewer like he was his best friend, or maybe there was a bet on how long he could last as HC doing whatever he wanted to...

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Very good, but if your defense and offense don't allow each other to be great then it's pointless. Coaches who can design a great defensive system are a dime a dozen if the impact of that defense on the offense is not considered.

The goal is to find someone who can implement an efficient defense which is conducive to efficient offense. And I'm not talking about whining in post game about the players not running or moving enough, which is what most people like Hollins do when in reality they don't understand the whole court.

14. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

I think he was a lock for Sac town.