1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Blake Griffin?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by manlisten, Jul 14, 2009.

1. manlisten

manlisten Member

I didn't see the game (not willing to pay for summer league) but I did see the highlights:

http://www.nba.com/video/games/clippers/2009/07/13/nba_lal_lac_1520900016_recap.nba/

Griffin sets a pick at the 3 point line, flashes to the paint and finishes with contact at the rim.

Griffin brings up the ball from the 3 point line, goes between the legs, behind the back, drives left and finishes the fadeaway bank shot with contact.

Griffin sets another pick at the 3 point line, pops, catches the pass and calmly knocks down the 3 pointer.

Clippers lead 7-2.

That's 3 consecutive plays. I know it's only the Summer League, but that kind of versatility is what scouts drool over. The kid is very poised and seems to take a lot of pride in his game. No doubt he will be a success but what is his potential? What player in today's game would you compare him to? BTW, he finished with 27 and 12 on 73% shooting.

2. amaru

amaru Member

Won't know until the seasons gets half way through.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I saw much of the game just to check him out. He was so good, it got boring and I stopped watching in the 3rd quarter. Griffin is physcially stronger than I thought he was. I knew he was strong but he's freakish. When you add in his work ethic, this guy will be a star. There will be plenty of PFs in the NBA that will have no chance of guarding him once he figures things out, which may happen early on.

4. Miguel09

Miguel09 Member

Hes Great but Ricky Rubio is the best player in that Draft

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

This guy is damn good. I can't wait to see how he does during the regular season.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He went from extremely underrated the year Beasley came out to somewhat overrated at this point. Zach Randolph used to dominate the summer leagues and impress everyone... Griffin has some great skills but I just don't see him as a surefire 1st tier franchise changer he is being made out to be.

7. manlisten

manlisten Member

I'm curious...what makes you think he's overrated? In my eyes, he hasn't really been hyped that much to this point. It's kind of like A_3PO said, he was such a sure thing coming out of the draft, the media decided to focus on players with holes in their game. I know you have to be cautious when gauging a player based off the SPL, but you can't completely dismiss what Blake brings to the game.

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

Summer league shouldn't change your opinion on Griffin at all. I think he'll be real good, he seems to be a hard worker and that's more than half the battle for NBA guys. Someone here mentioned how Zach Randolph dominated summer league too. If Zach Randolph had his head screwed on straight he'd be one of the best in the game.

I want to get everyone's opinion on how Griffin compares with Mike Beasley from a talent standpoint, Beasley's stock has tumbled since he got in the league, mostly because of his playful approach, but this guy put up better numbers than Griffin in college.

9. Asian Sensation

Zach Randolph is a 20/10 player that's highly skilled. If you look at him minus the cancerous attitude and stupid shot selection he's actually pretty damn good. Funny you mention Randolph because Griffin reminds me of having Randolph's skills with more athleticism, quicker and more power. Griffin's also got the winning attitude and desire to be the best something Zbo doesn't have. Griffin will be special.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I watched a big chunk of Beasley's games in college. For some reason, K-State was usually on during the week and weekends the year Beasley played. Watching him and Bill Walker take turns dominating was fun. Beasley was a man among boys. Didn't see Blake Griffin that much last year.

Like you said, attitude and work ethic are half the battle and that's where Griffin beats the pants off Beasley. He's married to basketball and is dedicated to being the best he can be. Combine that with great talent, you can have a special NBA player. Beasley is too unfocused to be a great NBA player. He's too much like a typical 20 year-old. Guys who have "typical" or average personalities don't become great NBA players.

Talent-wise, Griffin and Beasley are at comparable levels, but they have different skillsets. Griffin will translate better to the NBA because he will continue improving himself and because of his brute strength. Beasley will have a tougher time.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he will be an all time great.

DD

12. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

LOL best player that wont be playing in the NBA for the next 2 years or so.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

That is really strong. He's got a long ways to go to become a complete offensive player and he wasn't really asked to play much defense in college. Remember that he has to overcome the Clippers as well; despite all those high picks, the only Clipper to have much success recently has been Lamar Odom.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I can't judge him until he plays against the best, if he pulls some of those moves on Garnett, Duncan, Howard, Jefferson, etc... Than I'll say he can be an all-star one day.Remember, how Greene got like 40 points last year... :D not saying that he doesn't have potential, but lets just see how his games translates to the Regular Season, when he has to face players that are stronger, faster, longer and more athletic than him. His length does bother me though(6'10/ 6'11 wingspan), when he has to play like the players like Garnett, P. Gasol, Duncan, Howard, Stoudemire, etc... :)

15. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Griffin is strong but he doesn't seem big and long. A comparison that comes to mind is Antwan Jamison minus the shooting touch, I guess. But he does have the it factor and great pose.

16. Weezy.F.Baby

Weezy.F.Baby Member

everytime i see him, he reminds me ALOT of a young charles barkley

17. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The one thing outside of injuries that could truly hold him back. Kid has it all right now, handles, shot, strength, ability to finish in traffic/with contact, and desire. It will take him some time to get used to the speed of the regular season NBA games and the length and strength of starters in the league, but once he does, he is going to be a beast.

Beasly on the other hand, is not nearly as strong as Griffin, he was mostly relegated to shooting jumpers last season b/c he couldn't handle the contact down low, but he also has a complete package of skills minus the strength right now. He could definitely grown into a very good offensive 4 but right now he needs to get stronger.

18. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Life experience and failure can change that, not everyone is born with drive and focus, but there are plenty who develop it as they adapt to life.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

has anybody seen/read that ESPN story about Griffin's weirdo trainer? Some guy fron New Jersey who won't give his name and hides his identity by dressing up in disguise and lives in San Diego and claims to be a Navy SEAL trainer or something, who then makes him drag tree trunks uphill, Rocky IV-montage style.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's possible but very unlikely. In addition to lacking drive, Beasley is immature. Remember his rookie orientation?

Few people develop focus and drive after becoming adults, especially clowns like Beasley in the NBA who have loads of money thrown at them. But I'm rooting for him. People I've known that did this usually encountered some kind of major adversity that shook them up and turned them around.

Sam, I saw the story. Weird, but it illustrates Griffin's drive.