1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Good Is Abdur-Rahim?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BobFinn*, Nov 26, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

27 points and 21 rebs is how good. Wouldn't he look good in Rocket pinstripes?

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Whoa Finny. Exactly what I was about to post. I was thinking, Abdur-Rahim needs to be in a major city to actually get some TV time. With Vancouver, he's doing everything he can and yet he doesn't get his props from the national media. He's a good rebounder and can put up points, what more do you need? I say we start thinking up a package we could send for Reef.....

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

3. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Here's what Jack Ramsay's take is on Abdur-Rahim:

"I like his game. If Shareef Abdur-Rahim were playing in New York or Los Angeles, the basketball world would be raving about him."

You can find out what else Dr.Jack's got to say on ESPN.com. In their NBA One-on-One section the latest is "Which young forward would you rather have?" The two forwards are Antoine Walker and Shareef. Jack Ramsay takes Raheem while Fred Carter takes Walker.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/oneonone/index.html

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The most underrated, and unnecessarily unrecognized and unheralded player in the game today. This is a small forward doing what he does... geez. We can only fantasize about him being a Rocket... [​IMG]

------------------
    --------------
    Did you know?
    Derrick Chievous sucked.
    It's true.

-- from the ClutchCity.net "Did You Know" sidebar

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While anybody would love to have Shareef, I see a more possible aquisiton as Antwain Jamison, who I really like, if he can stay injury free.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

While Rahim is good, Lamar Odom is better.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Odom is okay, but Shareef is better right now. His game is much more refined.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Grant Hill is the best small forward when healthy.
    Hill
    Raheem
    Odom

------------------

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

How about we think of a way to steal Nowitzki from Dallas?

------------------

11. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

'Reef is very good.

As a former Cal grad, I've been following 'Reef for a while, ever since he signed with Cal as a high school senior. What's impressive about him is that he has been dominant at every level.

He was Mr. Basketball in Georgia as a senior AND as a junior, and he was widely regarded as one of the country's best players. When he came to Cal, he was Pac 10 Player of the Year as a Freshman , and this is no pantywaist conference. From the very beginning, 'Reef was the undisputed team leader, always coming up with the big basket or rebound. Yes, he skipped school after only one year, but he always carried himself with dignity that reminded me of Hakeem. (SAR does observe Ramadan, by the way.)

Then he goes to the NBA and averages nearly 20 points a game before he's old enough to go to a bar! And when have you heard him complain about being stuck on a Vancouver team that never gets close to the playoffs? Not once. He's a great basketball player, and a great kid.

He'd definitely be a star if he were in a bigger market. (But probably not a superstar, since his game is kind of Old School -- i.e. not Sportscenter-friendly.)

------------------