1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Moochie becomet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BoyhoodDream, Aug 4, 2000.

1. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

I have seen Moochie play only a handful of times. He seems like a very good point guard with good dribbling skills and passing skills. But in the games I saw him in he didn't impress me with his scoring. Now I hear that Moochie is tearing it up in the summer leagues. If so, How good can Moocie become? Will he provide us with solid PG if Francis gets injured? Will he get to the point where he is so good, that he might want to start eventually (for another team)?

------------------

2. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I think Moochie is a pretty stable PG. If Stevie were injured, hopefully he won't be, and Moochie had to step in to starting PG(maybe Cat would), I think Moochie may average around 10 to 15 PPG and 6 to 8 APG. But he would have the same aura that Stevie has when he plays.

------------------
    "See they pick and pick and pick. Man they picked me to death."
    -Steve Francis on the Utah Jazz

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Moochie is a decent backup, but I wouldn't bet on him becoming a starting point guard. Unless he does it a la Matt Maloney.

Moochie was good during the Summer Leagues, but what do you expect? He's an NBA player playing against scrubs and NBA hopefulls (for the most part, at least). In addition, he wasn't spectacular, either. I think his highest point total reached 17 or so.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Moochie is like Elliot Perry was to KJ.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

5. Timing

Timing Member

No offense to Moochie and his fans but if Moochie is a starting point guard on an NBA team I think it's safe to assume it's not a very good NBA team. I think Moochie is a capable backup and provides some hustle off the bench, asking or expecting more than that is simply not realistic for a team trying to make the playoffs.

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

6. TB3

TB3 Member

Moochie was in the CBA last year, so lets not get ahead of ourselves here. He still has to prove himself, but I am sure rooting for him. He has good quickness and basketball savvy. He also has shown the ability to hit the open shot. In my opinion, Moochie is an upgrade over Drew, Maloney, or Price. He reminds me more of Avery Johnson.

------------------
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
    homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace
    Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I like Moochie, and think he's a hard worker. I remember at my first (and only) Rockets game he hit that half court shot and after the game he seemed like he was just having a blast out there on the court.

Moochie could become one of the top backups in the league.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

8. AxSomebody

AxSomebody Contributing Member

I really like Mooch's game. From the times that I've seen him, he is pretty good at sticking the long-range jumper and floaters and he also has the ball handling skills and stability to run the team and finish while Franchise is on the bench.
    I'd probably liken Norris's game to that of Howard Eisley (who is a solid shooter and ball-handler that I hope the Jazz lose in free agency), but I think that predicting star status for Mooch may be a bit far-fetched at this point.
    What do you all think?

------------------

[This message has been edited by AxSomebody (edited August 05, 2000).]

9. AxSomebody

AxSomebody Contributing Member

Just to kinda support my point....I'm gonna go ahead and post comparative stats for Norris and Eisley from last year....

Norris:
    16.7 mpg
    6.9 PPG
    .434 FG %
    .414 3PT%
    .781 FT %
    3.1 APG
    2.3 RPG

Eisley:
    25.6 mpg
    8.6 PPG
    .418 FG %
    .368 3PT%
    .824 FT %
    4.2 APG
    2.1 RPG

If anything at all...I think Mooch may be slightly more effective than Howard Eisley given the number of games and the minutes he gets. Mooch has the potential to be one of the best backups in the league and perhaps an adequate starter. I don't see him being a Steve Francis or Payton, but I am kind of scared that he will probably get the same kind of attention that Howard Eisley is getting from point-guard starved teams like Toronto and Detroit (assuming he keeps playing like he did last season) in the future.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AxSomebody (edited August 05, 2000).]