1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How far can you trace your lineage?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, Aug 9, 2009.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Wow, you beat me there.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The first rimrocker in America shows up on a document that says he's in Virginia in 1635 making a living selling "horses and slaves." Before him, rimrockers go back at least to the 1200's in England and include a minor literary figure.

On my dad's mother's side, I'm related to the old west outlaw John Wesley Hardin, a man so mean he once shot a man for snoring. See more about him at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley_Hardin

1 person likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

My sixth great uncle is Stephen F. Austin.

I have traced my mom's line back to the 1400 or 1500's to a ship called Besis I think that brought them over from England.

1 person likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Columbus sailed in 1492 and Jamestown was not until 1607.

5. Poloshirtbandit

My great great grandfather on mom's side was a runaway slave from South Carolina, or so I'm told. No idea how he ended up in Texas. That about as far as I can go on either side.

1 person likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

On my German side, I can trace it back to about 1,100, but only because one of my distant relatives was really into genealogy and published a book with the family tree. Apparently one of my ancestors was very close to Martin Luther. Unfortunately, it seems like I also have some French aristocrats as ancestors ;). On the Korean side, I have no idea.

1 person likes this.
  7. Landlord Landry

my father lives in Ohio.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm a first gen american.

I can trace my mom, and dad. After that, I don't really know my grand parents.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

My mom's side of the family is to the Mayflower and beyond to Scotland, England, and Wales. I still have cousins in the UK. My dad's side....no idea except for being Scots-Irish.

I'm not, but I could be, a Son of the American Revolution.

I'm at least a 4th generation Texan, which is really all the matters.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wow this is an interesting thread.

Apparently, other than bedouins, a lot of Arabs can trace their lineage back 1500+ years.

1 person likes this.
  11. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Germany, 1600s. I also traced my wife back to England, 1200s. I'd suggest Family Tree Maker and a monthly subscription (which you can cancel) to anyone who's really interested. They have some really great resources- I found a scan of a portrait of my great-great-great-great grandfather, and then a picture of his son.

1 person likes this.
  12. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I haven't done the research myself, but my mom has told us several times that we are descendants of Abigail Adams - that's as far back as I know.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in america...early - mid 1700.

I can't remember all the details someone traced the family back to France in the middle ages.

1 person likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My grandmother was born in 1918, so about then is as far as I personally know. I have some relatives on both sides who have done some geneology study, but I haven't looked at the results. My father has some stories about our ancestry but they're Texas tall-tales. My mother's geneology is, no doubt, just a long line of French farmers.

My wife has a more interesting geneology. Her mother's adoptive father was a minister in the Chang Kai-Shek government. The line traces back to Ming dynasty royalty allegedly. Meanwhile, her father's side are rust-belt blacks, probably descended from freed slaves who came north in the early 20th century. It's a funny match.

1 person likes this.
  15. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

My surname is of a territorial origin taken from lands in Scotland first appearing in documents in 1238.

I think my family has been successful in tracing our direct ancestors back to the late 1700's / early 1800's.

1 person likes this.
  16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Seventh generation Texan.

1 person likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Have no definite idea. At least one side of my family has roots in Taiwan for 7 or 8 generations.

I had a friend who said one of his ancestors was a royal eunich. I was thinking how??

1 person likes this.
  18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

My mother's maiden name is Villarreal.
    We can trace our family back to Spain, when it was Cohen Villarreal before the Inquisition, and then to Belarus a looong time before that. So about 1200-1500 years?

A lot of that has to do with genetic tests. But direct tracing is tough. I know we can go back to the 1800s in (now) New Mexico, but I'm not sure how far beyond that we can go.

1 person likes this.
  19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Interesting thread.

I don't have dates so I'll go with conversations.

My Grandfather was 1st generation Dutch from Holland. We're actually Black Dutch by way of Germany...German potato farmers went to Holland for better land along time ago.

My mother side is a bit different. I've heard different stories but haven't been able to meld them together.

Mom is a descendent of a princess who was married to a Samurai. ANother story that keeps popping up is our relationship with the city of Nagasaki, which happens to be my mom's maiden name. They say someone in our family was once ruled that city.

But, and if I may quote Jimi Hendrix, "Who Knows"

1 person likes this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm related to Yao Ming.

1 person likes this.