1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you like your NFL team to approach Free Agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 13, 2019.

?

What way of thinking do you prefer?

1. Aggressive. Get the best of the best FAs

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Decisive. Target 1 or 2 top players and get them at all costs

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. Active but patient. Wait it out

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Very Passive. Build through the draft

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Look for the best deals. Come up with a price and stick to it.

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Different GMs/ownership have different ways of approaching free agency. So do fans. We have seen different ways work and different ways fail. What is your preference? A lot more fans were screaming "patience" on Monday than are now. I think the brief time we've had Gaine he has been somewhere between "Very Passive. Build through the draft" and "Look for the best deals". I personally prefer the decisive approach; that doesn't always work either. Where do you all stand?

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Decisive. It's not 1 or 2 top players at any cost, its 1 or 2 positions at a higher cost if you have to. There's no way anybody can do what the pats do and be successful like them, they are on another planet. So in order to field a competitive team, you need talent and sometimes you have to pay a little over what you are comfortable with.

After the 1 or 2 filled positions, build the rest through draft.

So, in other words, not the Texans way.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Agreed. Everyone was curious when the Patriots went after Gilmore. But they knew who they wanted and went after him even if everyone thought they overpaid.

red5rocket likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i just want the Texans to start taking o-line seriously and to realize that at this moment we don't have a single starting corner back that we can rely on. We need to start getting involved. No trades, small value signings that are basically downgrades from the players we lost ....what's the strategy to get better? i'm not seeing it.

red5rocket likes this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Should've gone for biggest need immediately since it would mean protecting the franchise. Like @Aruba77 said, take o-line more seriously, even if that means overpaying for that player. We have the money so it really overpaying? It would make the draft less panicky.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

What? Fulton, Kelemete, and Henderson wasn't serious enough for you and @Aruba77 ? :)

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m down

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

After hearing "free agency hasn't even started yet, relax", "there are still good players available, relax", "It's only day one of free agency, relax", it looks like more people are starting to feel the disappointment. I caught a bit of sports radio this morning and their tone sure has changed. Hate to say we told you so but...

At this rate, there are only two ways that I will be impressed with this off-season outside of the draft:

1. A major trade. Preferably bringing players (Patrick Peterson, Nate Solder, Andrew Whitworth, Chris Harris, etc. ) not letting players go except it is a huge haul of draft picks (at least a 1st rounder)
    2. Someone not currently a FA becomes a FA. There is still a chance some good players get cut now or after the draft.

Nobody currently on the FA market impresses me. One of my CB favorites from last off-season is still available, Breeland, but I'm not sure about making him a #1 shutdown corner. I still think the team is in okay shape and will find a way to have a good season. But I can't expect anything better than that.

9. conquistador#11

They were approaching it just fine. But then if the heavens should smile down on you and a great player is there at a bargain price, you have to go for it. Players around the league love Watson.
    I'm still holding hope that they will trade one of the seconds with a future 3rd for an impact corner. Joseph is old, he should be the 3rd cb. We need a no.1 cover guy.

#9 conquistador#11, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Nimo likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

What's the Texan's approach? Let everybody leave?

MiddleMan likes this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

"As long as NRG is sold out every week, we are content with being a mediocre franchise"

DatRocketFan, BigM and MiddleMan like this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Did the Raiders sign Trent Brown, Tyrell, Antonio Brown and still end up with more cap space than the Texans?

red5rocket and vinsensual like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans have anywhere from $47M(OverTheCap) to $56M(NFLPA Public Report) in cap space.

iBob wrong.

Nimo likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

You are assuming there is an approach?

Nimo likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With an actual plan.

Nimo likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I stand corrected?

18. body slam

body slam Member

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Depends on the year and how many holes you need to feel and your chances at contention. As far as I'm concerned we need to treat every year with Deshaun like we are in a 3 or 4 year championship window -- it took us us 17 years to find a franchise QB, don't waste it.

To me that means we should have filled at least a couple of holes with capable starters. Roby and Gibson don't really count IMO because they are directly replacing guys we let go.

I would rarely if ever blow big money on the top player at any position though (AB, Leveon, etc). But guys that are at least capable of starting (e.g. Wade Smith a few years ago) so that you don't have to rely on the draft or current players taking a big leap forward.

When you feel like you are especially close and have cap room, sign a slightly bigger fish or two -- this is like when we signed J-Jo and Manning in 2010.

red5rocket and Nimo like this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

fix the problem holes with proven players and address depth with the draft.

Unless you are rebuilding that's the way to do it. Watson needs to be alive if we want to win a playoff game