1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you grade a GM's draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 22, 2010.

?

How do you grade a GM's draft

1. DM did a great job by drafting this year even though he passed on Dejuan Blair.

80 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. CD failed for not drafting Rashard even though Cat was a 2nd round steal!

18 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I really wish people would just let this Blair thing die already. Nobody wanted him on this team more than me and even I can't take this constant second guessing.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think a good GM will but himself in a position to acquire a superstar player, even with out a high draft pick. I think that is what DM is doing now. I think that is what CD did with Barkley, Pippen and TMac. In Morey's case he is making solid draft picks late in rounds that become commodities that can be traded to acquire a superstar. Or develop enough talent that you might not need a Kobe or LeBron to win a championship.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Most of those CD picks are either jointly with Rudy T, or mostly Rudy T making the pick.

But yeah at this point Morey > Rudy T/CD era circa after the back to back titles (for me anyways).

History says it's very rare to win an NBA title without a superstar.

#43 v3.0, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. tmacROX1

tmacROX1 Member

some of u guys r making some of he rocket gms from the past look stupid

5. crash5179

there are different levels of superstars. Kobe and LeBron are clearly the class of the NBA talent wise. Other superstars such as Dirk, Bosh, Amare, Wade are in a lower class in my opinion.

6. crash5179

Of course. The coach always has input. The real question is who has the final say. If it's CD then he ultimately should get the credit. If its DM then he should get the credit.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah but all those so called lower class superstars you mentioned were lottery picks, in fact top ten picks. It's pretty tough to develop those talent when you're not in the lottery yourself to draft those type of talent.

Btw, I'm making reference to your very last sentence which I previously quoted.

Just saying you can develop talent all you want but history suggests it's very tough to win a title without a superstar, whether it's Kobe/Lebron or the lower class type.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Rudy T had the final say on most things until he left. CD had a good rapport with Rudy, unlike the other GMs and VP of player personnel before CD.