1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The optimist in me wants to say you're wrong and that Howard and Sharping are going to be starters day 1. The realistic part of me is saying "f'in Eagles!!!!!!"

raining threes likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rotoworld:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/draft-decisions/thors-nfl-draft-snap-grades

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-grades/silvas-afc-draft-grades

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They'll be great in 2 seasons when we're looking for a new QB.

pugsly8422 and raining threes like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans tried to address positions of extreme need.. The problem is, they did it with projects. DW needs a line NOW. And, the secondary has to be up to snuff...for that defense to be all it can be.
    Unfortunately, this draft smells all too familiar.
    Our standard fare...

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I love how intimately knowledgeable people pretend to be... How do you know they reached? How do you know Howard wasn't the BPA on their board? Is it possible they had Dillard/Howard rated evenly and that once both fell to #21, they sat back contentedly and watched Philadelphia waste a pick?

Or, maybe they did want Dillard and called the Ravens - who are an AFC foe - but Baltimore ultimately decided to seize on the opportunity to screw the Texans by taking Philly's offer?

I have no clue what happened; but neither do you. And neither does anyone else.

And I'm not even defending the pick - it might very well be a terrible one. But I won't assume the team ran in circles to the tune of Yakety Sax before running head-first into a wall and drafting Howard. They passed on at least three viable OL at that spot - and may have refused to trade up to secure Dillard - to take Howard; they very obviously liked him.

TheFreak and csj like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If the Texans had dealt a 1 and a 3 to move up one slot, people would have rioted in the streets.

TheFreak and csj like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The Texans would be really only swapping out a #3 to move up one spot to get Dillard.

It all depends on whether the Texans believe Dillon is appreciably better than Howard.

8. 1234567

1234567 Member

1st and 3rd pick worth more then Dillard.

They needed a 4th for 1 spot trade.

If they traded 3rd for 1 spot move they would be called idiot's.

The TE is park of the line also and he made be good.

The 'reach' OT may be good later.

Like I said before. They are not ready this year to complete.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

If the Texans believed Howard was the best PLAYER available then they must know something that nobody else knows. As you can tell by my posts on here, I have done a lot of research pre-draft. But i'm no expert. It's not an exact science but I couldn't find anyone that thought Howard was the 23rd best player (regardless of position) in this draft. If he was the next best player on their board, it is probably because of their glaring need at LT. I can see Howard as the next best available LT on the board. I thought Greg Little was but not by that much. But not as best player available period.

I'm not even tripping about this pick. And i'm not tripping about trading up. I do think they reached and I think Howard is a 2nd rounder because he is raw and the level of talent he has played against. But I think he will be okay. I'm more upset they didn't do more in FA that would have freed them to do more with the draft. They absolutely had to get a tackle in the first couple of rounds. Henderson is coming off injury, Kalil is coming off injury; and both weren't THAT good last time they played. And I'm upset Eagles jumped them to get Dillard because I got excited as Dillard was dropping. The Eagles need a developmental player (they have starting tackles for this season) and the Texans needed a starter. But at the same time I don't think there was much the Texans should have done to avoid that from happening.

So, either Texans had to take a LT and took the best tackle available according to their board. Or they think they are smarter than most other scouts and think Howard is better than Marquise Brown, Montez Sweat, Deandre Baker, etc.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I would have agreed about the 3rd rounder if they picked a player like Damien Harris or Julian Love.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m not here to debate Dillard vs. Howard. Honestly, I don’t know enough about either player. But in reality, the real question is whether the difference between Dillard and Howard is worth whatever it was going to take, draft inventory wise, to move up. Maybe it was worth it, maybe it wasn’t, time will tell.

I get that people prefer to invest in proven college experiences, but the fact is that players can still have long, productive careers without that resume. Hell, the best defensive player in the league went to University or Buffalo.

Name value isn’t a thing on its own—you’re right. There are factors that make that prospects appear more valuable. I’m just saying, once you hit the NFL field, you’re college career doesn’t mean squat. I’m not trying to discredit scouts or players performances, but the draft is a crapshoot, and all too often everyone hones in on things that just don’t matter or seem overly predictive.

Hey Now! and Nimo like this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Although I'm mad the Eagles traded up to get Dillard, I'm not mad the Texans didn't trade one spot up to prevent that from happening. Maybe if they didn't lose their 4th rounder already I would have wanted it more. I'm be more concerned about Howard vs Ford/Little/Risner; that's who were available at 1-23. Most scouts agree that Howard will be a great pick, but they believe it will take time. But like you said, who knows? Maybe he's offensive rookie of the year.

p.s. I actually wanted the Texans to trade down a couple picks if possible and draft Mack in 2014. He was a consensus top 5 prospect.

red5rocket, gucci888 and awc713 like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ouch... only NY Giants lower...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...eams-2019-patriots-giants-raiders/3594666002/

gucci888 likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The Titus Howard pick was the real d#ck punch for me. There’s no way he was anywhere near the best player available. I’m not even sure he was the best left tackle prospect available. It was a huge reach; a desperation pick. I was so upset after Day 1; tired of gettin plunked. Just could not understand why Gaine wouldn’t have moved up a few spots to get Dillard when it was clear he’d fallen within our range. It was so obvious we were going o-line; the entire league knew; so why not move up to your guy rather than hoping he fell to 23? A novice mistake by a novice GM.

I liked what we did on day 2...a lot.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

What are people saying about Indy's draft ??

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lol, he forgot to delete this

18. raining threes

You're quite the schill for the Texans org and their years of mediocrity.

Dillard was rated higher on Jeremiah/Brandt/Broaddus/Kirwin's boards, all former GM's/personnel guys. Brandt is in the HOF. We can only hope Gaine becomes as good as Brandt.

But to your point we dont know anything, but since Devlin worked out Howard 3 times he obviously went to bat for the Howard pick.

#78 raining threes, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  19. Buck Turgidson

Aaron Donald went to Pitt.

awc713 and Nimo like this.
  20. raining threes

Normally I would agree with you,

But getting Dillard even if it meant giving up Warring to protect Watson should've been well worth the 3rd.