1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do people feel about Max now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PJ86, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Stoli

Stoli Member

Ditto.

2. delta69er

delta69er Member

What kind of scumbaggery exactly? Sorry max was before my time

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he got arrested for weed in his car
    he punched a fan in portland for insulting his daughter
    he was trying to tell a guy to hurry up cause he wanted to go to Luby's

He was just being himself
    [​IMG]

4. delta69er

delta69er Member

Lol yikes. Thanks for the history lesson. I've heard some rumors that max would do lines of cocaine in the locker rooms at half time. Any truth in these rumors?

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

As with everything in life or sports, it is not how you begin, but how well you end.

Maxwell appears to be a changed man, and if Drexler is good with him, then so am I.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If I recall correctly, the punching of the fan in Portland because he crossed the line and made bad comments about Maxwell's stillborn daughter.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't know if there is any truth in that, but an ounce of weed in your car?
    nowadays that's nothing.

also for the luby's incident. it just showed that Max appreciated hanging out with the regular Houstonians and senior citizens.

The NBA players today go out to fancy restaurants. They don't appreciate Luby's.

Maxwell was real.

8. delta69er

delta69er Member

Gotcha. Thanks again always nice to learn more about our team from the old-timers lol :grin:

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I loved Max when he was a Rocket and that year he played good for the Hornets I was happy for the guy because he had a lot of issues after he left here.

I loved how he was afraid of the big moment or taking a big shot.

He was probably the best trash talking Rocket ever and if someone ever fouled Hakeem hard you knew Max would be going upside his head before the refs even knew what happened.

Max was a great trash talker because the whole league knew he was half crazy and no one would dare test his craziness on the court. I know you guys saw that incident when he was about to go upside MJ's head, and you know if he would have threw a punch the league might have banned him for life, but he didn't care he wanted to kick their ass and would do anything to do it.

10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Max was at Jordan's level of competitiveness. At his size, he was ferocious on the court. He laid it out every game I remember.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

So does doctor j

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Much better honestly.

DD

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I remember playing pick up ball against him with several other NBA players during one summer and he'd come into the gym with red eyes and smelling of weed big time. He was a freak of an athlete and even in pickup games he would play very hard. Would always be interesting when you were on the court with both Maxwell and Alvin Robertson going against each other LOL.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't have any problem with Maxwell and I never have. Could he have handled his benching better? Sure. But the passion that kept him from handling it better was the same passion that made him such a clutch player for us. I don't blame a guy for feeling too much when feeling too much was what made him great for us.

Weed? Seriously? Who cares? It would be worse if he were "caught" with alcohol, which is worse for you in every single way and causes people to act out in dangerous ways that pot never does. Punching a guy who needled him about the tragedy of his daughter? I'd be disappointed if he hadn't. I'm not as down with waving guns around but we're in Texas, a place where people love guns more than their children almost.

"Scumbag?" Come on. Let's hear about the worst thing any of his critics have ever done. Easy to throw rocks. Nobody is perfect and Max's reputation is so much worse than his past behavior deserves.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Lets see what this sequel delivers.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Max was a first round pick until he told all the GM'S in pre-draft interviews that he'd done cocaine. He didn't even fail a drug test or anything. He just volunteered the info. This after the NBA was rocked by various major cocaine scandals in the 1970's and 80's that seriously damaged the league. He dropped to mid second round.

He was always his own worst enemy, but when he was locked in and motivated, you would think he should be a regular all star. At his best he really looked that good - no exaggeration, and generally, he rose to the level of the competition. He played best when it counted.

I was watching the game where he scored 30 points in a single quarter on TV while it was happening an it it still the most amazing thing I've ever seen - he was chucking up prayers from deep and everything was going in and every time he cut the basket he somehow he ended up with a wide open layup. That hole game he was completely on fire and almost magically lucky. He ended up with 51 points, and was as dominant a game as I'd ever seen - like TMac's 13 in 33 but for somewhere between a quarter and the entire second half.

#36 Ottomaton, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He was great in Fury Road.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Max contract for Max Headroom is what he should've gotten.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In the immortal words of David Byrne

Same as it ever was
    Once in a lifetime

And didn't he throw a dumbbell at Gary Payton, too.

#39 heypartner, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers rule the world!