1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do I invest(buy) stocks?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Bird, Mar 8, 2011.

1. The Bird

The Bird Member

I have kept aside some savings for the past couple of month and I'm interested in investing some of it into stocks. However, I don't know how to seeing as I've never bought stocks before so I seek the help and advice of clutchfans for this.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I use Scottrade. Pretty simple and has a ton of research tools. The trading fees are relatively cheap too. I'd recommend them...but they probably aren't all that different from the Etrades or Ameritrades of the world. Just make sure you use a reputable service and not some guy working from his garage.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

hey everybody, pssst. time to sell!

4. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Open up an account with at Fidelity or vanguard with some cheap, no load mutual funds.

If you have to ask how to buy stocks, I take it you are not a sophisticated investor. Mutual funds will offer you instant diversification and prevent you from hurting yourself more than you have to.

What dollar amount are you talking about?

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The market is so artificially inflated, it is ridiculous. I wouldn't necessarily jump into the market right now. Just my opinion, but fundamentals mean nothing in this current market, which is scary

6. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Options House has the cheapest rates and it's simple to use. You can use oanda to trade forex, spot silver, and spot gold with leverage.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This.

Fidelity has a several offices in Houston if you need to talk to someone in person.

As an alternative to mutual funds, you can buy ETFs which have the diversification of mutual funds but trade like stocks. ETFs allow you to start small (since most mutual funds require $2,000 or more to get started). A good ETF to start with is

VTI - Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF

8. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Read a book like "The Little Book That Beats the Market"

You can easily finish it in a day, and it will explain stocks in a very basic way that should give you a good understanding of what they are all about. He also offers an investment strategy in the book which is very easy to follow and can get you started on investing.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

read fool.com or investopedia.com to get some basic understanding of terminology. open a online brokerage account with low commissions such as zecco.com. I have a scottrade account but honestly i hate their interface and they charge almost twice as much as zecco for a transaction.

i hope the money you've saved is money you're can live without. the only way you will really learn is not being afraid of losing it. research the companies you want to invest in. then when you're ready, buy them. it will be an emotional roller coaster once your vested, especially if you're watching them everyday. you will find it hard to sell when the stock is going up because you want MORE. eventually, it'll go down and you will wish you sold at the high point. then, you'll sell when it's going down only to have the stock shoot up 5% the next day. it's a learning experience. it's irrational. fear and greed are what drives the market.

good luck.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, all the advice in this thread is great. Follow that, and you will know HOW to invest. Your timing, however, is probably not the best. This market is brutal for noobies. Fundamental trading has gone out the window. There are obvious low-risk choices you can make (such as investing in a total market ETF, or a mutual fund), and that would be my first word of advice to you. Either way, good luck brotha!

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

short sell everything

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

expect to lose money if you are a noob to investing.

i agree with earlier advice...don't invest anything you can't stand to lose.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just got a hot tip.

Enron

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Buy low, sell high.