1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did Utah make out on Rice?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ragingFire, Oct 13, 2003.

1. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

We had a little discussion about how Utah made out vs Houston, especially on the $ end. With a few more pieces of news, I wonder if the earlier assertion still holds?

NBA.com: 9/30, Houston traded Glen Rice, a first-round pick and additional draft consideration to Utah for John Amaechi, a 2004 second-round pick and a conditional second-round pick.

According to:
    http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Oct/10042003/Sports/98620.asp
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,515038279,00.html
    Rice's salary counts against cap: $9.6 mil (because of signing bonus ..)
    Real salary owed to Rice before buy out: $7+
    Salary owed to Rice after buy-out: $6+ (this also lowers the figure counts against cap to $9)
    Rockets' cash throw in: $2.5+

Bottom line, Utah pays Rice: $3.5, instead of paying Amaechi $5+ spread over 2 yrs. Utah gets $9 mil applied toward their cap, and the draft pick(s).

Houston pays Amaechi $5+ over 2 yrs and $2.5+ to Rice, instead of paying Rice $7+. Houston gets a $7 mil trade exception but gives up draft pick(s). Houston has the service of Amaechi for 2 yrs.

Am I wrong in saying both sides made out OK on the deal?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Whether Houston made out OK basketball-wise on this deal still depends on whether and how they will use the trade exception. Financially, I guess both did ok.

3. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

For the same money, we basically swapped Rice, whom we won't use, for Amaechi, whom we will rarely use.
    For that little advantage, we swapped a mid first rounder for a high second rounder.
    IMO, if we use the trade exception, it's a huge plus.
    If we don't, it doesn't look too bad.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The picks are what makes this a bad deal.

We don't swap a mid 1st rounder for a high 2nd rounder. We get the Kings 2nd round pick which will be a player lucky to make the practice squad. So basically we threw away our pick next year. Also, we added another possible 1st rounder if Chicago does well or if they don't 2 high 2nd round picks.

The trade would have been fair if we just swapped players and cash. Adding the Chicago obligation was too much and adding our 1st round pick in next year draft was extreme overkill. And don't forget, this helps UTAH rebuild much quicker.

5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

About 5000 Twinkies ago, John Amaechi was probably a real baller.

Art, I agree. The extra 1st rounder was over the top.

#5 Pistol Pete, Oct 14, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to get off topic....

But speaking of deals....

What do you guys think of the Van Exel / Jamison trade?

I think it weakened Dallas. Van Excel was lights out coming off the bench. Jamison is gonna start and there are only so many shots to go around when you've got Finley, Nash, Dirk and Jamison on the floor at the same time. Van Exel off the bench had the green light.

Also, what do ya'll think of the Kings moves. At a glance, their bench looks a little depleted.

7. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

I agree, NVE was their spark. Most of the season he played better then Nash. Just depends on how Nelly uses the new bench players b4 we see who got the better end of the deal.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Utah will be laughing at us when they finish ahead of us in the division. :(

9. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

you are forgeting JJ... who the rox were able to sign.. because of the move....

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

and forgeting the luxury tax savings (or rebate).

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We could have signed him without the trade - it would have cost Les more though.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

To me, this is what the trade was about. Les gave away picks so he could save money. His 8th generation's life style was looking pretty middle-class.

13. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

from the player standpoint, this trade is WEAK. Amaechi gets blocked everytime he is in the game. From a financial standpoint, it is good. However, if we could use the trade exception, it could benefit us from a player standpoint as well.

14. tzhang

tzhang Member

Despite the tried and true method of "Put out or Get out", Rice chose the latter

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

1st. I loved the 5000 twinkie comment on Amiechi! :D

2nd. I think Dallas is a lot stronger. Read my thread in the NBA section. While the Mavs loose Van Exel they gained another low post scorer in Jamison which they needed. They got Travis Best in the off-season to replace Nick the quick and while he is not as good he can still provide some quality minutes to help prevent Nash from late season fatigue. I think the real steal was Fortson(he is now starting ahead of LaFrentz at the 5 spot), Nelson has ravied about him on the radio here in Dallas so far as well as the chemistry of the team.

3rd. I completely agree with you about the Kings.