1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How can OKC afford to pay much more in lux tax than Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Senator, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BTW, who cares if OKC is being dumb with their financials? If they are willing to spend, the team and fans win.
    Presti is just kicking the can down the road and extracting value at every turn as he is moving off contracts.

YOLO likes this.
  2. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

He is Scrooge McDuck-ing his $2 billion dollars.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Their ownership group is willing to spend more. Simple as that. They also would have retained Anthony if he wasn't a bad fit and terrible return on investment.

Don't be fooled with the WE COULDN'T SIGN ARIZA stuff. It was a 1-year deal (emphasis on 1 year). We weren't hard-capped. Aside from the higher tax bill, there would have been no major consequence.

Ferttita didn't have the appetite to pay a role player.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We can't be certain of Fertita's appetite.

It could have been DM just advised Tillman it would be a stupid deal to do, Ariza was declining in value and he'd be able to find cheaper, better value replacements. Sure, as fans we don't care much about value, but organizations, whether they CAN afford it or not, SHOULD. Ultimately it all plays into an overall organizational culture and things that happened last year or two years ago can impact things that happen in the future. I think the culture thing is the most important. Smart organizations make smart moves, over and over and over again. But the later part is also important. Does Ariza get us a ring?? F' no. Every year the dude got worse, and his playoff performances have been pretty bad on the whole. So sure, maybe Tillman COULD HAVE and WOULD HAVE spent the 1 year $$ if Daryl suggested he do it, but no need to put yourself in repeater tax territory or great tax territory that MIGHT impact decisions down the road if you don't have to. One day DM will legitimately have to go to Tillman and say we absolutely need to overpay for this guy. Save that discussion for a MUCH more important player.... like maybe Capela, lol.

5. JayZ750

The question isn't HOW.

But WHY.

Any team can do it, depending on situation. SHOULD they do it. It's an interesting gambit from Presti and the Thunder organization... the most interesting part being its not like they have obvious ways to change course next offseason. I mean I guess worse comes to worse they could move Russ or PG3 into some teams cap space... but those are the two guys you'd want to keep. Worse comes to worse is Schroeder moveable? Is Adams moveable with two more years of $25+ million? I guess Roberson would be moveable as an expiring $11 million contract.

As to finances... who knows why OKC thinks it will be okay to have huge huge huge total payrolls in the future. I guess they're patting themselves on the back at the moment because they massively lowered it by moving Melo for Schroeder while theoretically getting a better backup player.

They pat themselves on the back last offseason, too.

6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Shut up bro.. big difference between paying tax and overpaying for players... good thing most of you arent GMs

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Take big contract is the only way for us to win the Championship since our owner wants to pay 200 million tax bill for a chance to win it all.
    I still think we should keep Ariza and Moute. They make our trade more feasible. It is easier for us to take big contracts.
    just some trade proposals
    1. Trade Ariza, Moute and picks for Kevin Love
    2. Trade Ariza, Moute and picks for Otto Porter Jr.
    3. Trade Ariza, Moute and picks for Jimmy Butler..

now we don't have them, it is very hard to take big contracts.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

If Capela wants to take Qualifying Offer, just say no.

4-year contract is only option for us.

9. JayZ750

None of those trades are feasible.
    The opposing teams don't want those players for the asset they'd be giving back.

I mean you have a point... excepting the fact that they're not great players. Maybe you sign Ariza to 1 year, $15 million more so as an expiring contract as value than a player as value.

The players they do have, that have value, that they might trade, like EG and Tucker, could maybe get you those guys... but then of course you'd have a weaker roster on the whole.

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

I like the roster depth like last season. We will improve our rosters if we accept the salary dump like Otto Porter Jr.

11. JayZ750

Maybe, except doubtful Wizards would treat a Porter trade solely as a salary dump. Especially if they have to take back a salary dump.
    If you are force dot move EG and Tucker for Porter, then you aren't improving your roster.
    You have to make reasonable trade suggestions...

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

I said this many times. I do not want to deal any of our top 5 players - Tucker, Gordon

I expect to keep Ariza and Moute in June

Add good players and good contracts to our rosters, more contracts lead to more trade value

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

Biggest point here:

If we are not trade Ariza/Moute/picks for big contracts like Kevin Love or Otto Porter kind of deals, we are not going to win championships next 4 years.